Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: I have a book to REALLY recommend! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 05 2007 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Saints: A Year in Faith and Art by Rosa Giorgi. (As this site opens with all the monastery gifts for sale, just scroll down until you see the gold covered saints book and click on the link, for some reason it won't give me a direct link to it...)

The book is 5 X 6 &1/2inches and the depth is 2inches - just to give you a correct prespective of size and thickness...

I can across this book today, quite by accident and it is just fabulous. Very appealing to the eye with a gold, hardback cover - very thick book with a saint for every day of the year (sometimes it can be hard to find a book that has a saint for every day.) The artwork is uplifting and beautiful and if you click on the link there is a place you can click to see more of the inside pages, giving you about 5 pages with writing on the saint one side and artwork the other.

The link here is selling the book at $30 with a fancy bookmark and bag, but if you pop the name of the book in the search engine you will find Amazon and others selling the book much cheaper - about $20US.

A great book to kick start the New Year with the children!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2007 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Wow, Anne, here's Amazon's Saints by Rosa Giorgi and the least expensive is under $10, but even a new copy with shipping is around $15!

This will be perfect for my dh's Little Christmas (Epiphany) gift! THANKS!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 05 2007 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote Anne

How Lovely . I have been searching for a Saint book for our family. Right now we just look on line. I may have to ge dh to see how nice the bookmark and bag are. Thanks for the link Anne

Back to Top View Anne's Profile Search for other posts by Anne

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 05 2007 at 10:50pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

All Catholic books have it for $18 American dollars and for the 6th December freight is Free! Thanks for the heads up Nicole

Funny story for you Anne,
I had Fountain Resources sent it to us for camp as Jenn Miller had recommended it here and I wanted a look. I thought I best not be greedy and let others look at it. It sold! So I still have to grab a copy myself.

Tracy at Pinewood Castlewrote a great post on venerating the saints re the liturgical year, which I think would tie in very well with using this book. My goal in the holidays is actually to sit down with your list on your blog sidebar and Tracy's ideas and finally organise my saints stories and books into chronological order.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 2:23am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Erin, Anna didn't have a copy at my book look but I reckon it would be a very popular book - it is really handy to have a book with a saint for EVERY day of the year without too much information overload for children.

I've hardly had a second glance at the book BTW the two older children have been reading it the whole afternoon between them! They are really enjoying the pictures, old masters with all sorts of interesting symbols and martrydom scenes etc.. I was very excited to see that on December 10th they have Our Lady of Loreto! Beautiful image of the angels carrying the house and Our Lady.

I am so pleased girls, that this book can be of use in the gift-giving season..it will be greatly loved!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 2:33am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Oooh! Amazon UK have it . I just bought it .

Thank you Anne

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I absolutely LOVE this book! It's the book that listed St. Pantaleon for July 27th, which was the day my 6yo was scheduled for eye surgery. St. Pantaleon is invoked for the eye condition that my son has. I would never have known that if not for that book. :) And the art is just beautiful. I love that the saints listed are not always the most popular saints. I'm learning a lot.   

Drew Ann
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 10 2007 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Drew Ann

I also found this book recently in our local bookstore and love it.
Back to Top View Drew Ann's Profile Search for other posts by Drew Ann

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2007 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

I ordered it used, and am looking forward to having it! Thanks!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2007 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

THanks Anne, looks great!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2007 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote doris

Oooh, looks lovely! Our saints collection is already fairly full but this looks beautiful -- and the Book Depository has it even cheaper than Amazon Thanks, Anne!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 10 2007 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

cathhomeschool wrote:
I absolutely LOVE this book! It's the book that listed St. Pantaleon for July 27th, which was the day my 6yo was scheduled for eye surgery. St. Pantaleon is invoked for the eye condition that my son has. I would never have known that if not for that book. :) And the art is just beautiful. I love that the saints listed are not always the most popular saints. I'm learning a lot.   

I bought it at Janette's recommendation and we love it too. I keep it on my desk as a daily reference. And I agree it's nice to see such lovely homge paid to some of the lesser known saints.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 11 2007 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

Absolutely beautiful!! I think we'll be ordering that one. I've been looking for a Saint book and i'd like to have a few here at home for us to choose from. This looks like a must have.

Do you think it would be a good fit for a 5yo and a 6yo?

Jenn in WY
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 12 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote Jenn in WY

Thanks for the suggestion. I will add it to our Epiphany gift collection as well. It looks like a beautiful book.

Back to Top View Jenn in WY's Profile Search for other posts by Jenn in WY

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 13 2007 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Thank you - this looks like such a great book!

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 28 2007 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

I just wanted to let you ladies know that i found this book much cheaper here.
And if you use Google checkout, you can save an extra $10.

simplemama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 06 2008 at 11:34pm | IP Logged Quote simplemama

I just ordered this and I am so excited about this book! What I really want to do is be able to display art every now and then for 'bigger' feast days. I suppose with this book I could always find a source and buy the actual print (copy) and do it that way? This books looks like everything I've been wanting to find-I love it when that happens!

Back to Top View simplemama's Profile Search for other posts by simplemama Visit simplemama's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2008 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Thanks Anne so much for recommending this book. Yesterday, we emptied our stockings filled with gifts from the Magi and lo and behold, I received Saints: A Year in Faith and Art ! By dh had rec'd (from Santa) her Saints in Art which is also gorgeous!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

NavyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 07 2008 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote NavyMom

I have had my eye on this book for about a year now. It is on my Amazon wishlist and I know someday I will invest in it! I am glad to know others highly reccomend it.

Heidi

The Flat on Cabaniss Crescent
Back to Top View NavyMom's Profile Search for other posts by NavyMom Visit NavyMom's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2008 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

This book has been on my wishlist for years. Santa gave it to the family for Christmas! We love everything about it...its chunky size that sits nicely on our liturgical shelf, the written text and references, and of course, the illustrations. Lovely! Plus, I received a beautiful bookmarker from my sis (Jenn Sal) that fits it to a T - a brocade material with multi-colored tiny bead trim. Together on the shelf, they just whisper, "Look at me. Read me."

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version