Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: "Making Your Home A Haven Challenge" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
HeatherNY
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote HeatherNY

Crystal Paine at BiblicalWomanhood.com has started a "Making Your Home a Haven Challenge"
Today is Day One.
I found it very inspiring. I've posted the results of my Day One on my blog.

Doodle Acres
Back to Top View HeatherNY's Profile Search for other posts by HeatherNY Visit HeatherNY's Homepage

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Thanks for this, Heather!

Great decluttering job! I'm doing the same in my home this Advent and it feels so liberating to de-junk and find some breathing space, doesn't it?

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Heather,

Your entryway looks lovely! I am trying hard to simplify my life and clear out all the clutter!

I'm also wondering about your dogs? Are they doodles? I am thinking about getting another dog, which is rather contrary to simplifying my life but it would be fun! Your dogs are adorable!

Thanks for the link to the challenge I am going to investigate it more later.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Oh I'm going to have to make time to read this later, but I like the idea of a "haven"! I've used that term before and people just looked at me like I was .

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

HeatherNY
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote HeatherNY

Mary Chris wrote:
Heather,

I'm also wondering about your dogs? Are they doodles?

Yes, two of our dogs are labradoodles. And the chocolate lab is the mother of the black labradoodle. We "adopted" her when she was being retired.

Let me know if you need a recommendation for a doodle breeder. We love our breeder!!!

Doodle Acres
Back to Top View HeatherNY's Profile Search for other posts by HeatherNY Visit HeatherNY's Homepage

HeatherNY
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote HeatherNY

MaryMary wrote:
Thanks for this, Heather!

Great decluttering job! I'm doing the same in my home this Advent and it feels so liberating to de-junk and find some breathing space, doesn't it?

This is a great time of year to declutter especially as we start taking out our Advent and Christmas decorations. And I agree with you - it is very liberating!!!

Doodle Acres

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Martha

ug. okay count me out.
I looked at my entryway and thought

"Oh a fresh coat of paint in a brighter color would be wonderful, and some shelves along that wall instead of the crowd of bookcases, and a coat rack, and maybe some pictures...."

I can't afford a haven!!

Mine is not clutterred at all. Just blah and drab.

Heather, I looked at yours and thought it was beautiful to begin with! A bit of things about, but you do live there right? Afterward it was showroom ready for sure!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

HeatherNY
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote HeatherNY

Martha wrote:
Heather, I looked at yours and thought it was beautiful to begin with! A bit of things about, but you do live there right? Afterward it was showroom ready for sure!

Thank you for your compliments. We've been in our home for over 18 years and it has taken a long time to spruce things up.

When you see my other pictures - like when she does a challenge for the kitchen and office - you'll really see my mess!!!!

Doodle Acres

HeatherNY
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote HeatherNY

Day 2 involves the living room.

Well today’s challenge wasn’t too difficult as my living room wasn’t in too bad a condition. It was mostly just putting away DVDs and straightening the “dog blankets” we keep on the furniture. However an added benefit was that we found the top to the PB jar that went missing yesterday. I wonder why I didn’t think to look under Lily’s boots??? LOL

P.S We’ve now covered my two easiest rooms - when we get to the kitchen and the home office, those “before” picture are going to be UGLY!!

You can see pictures here

Doodle Acres

HeatherNY
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 05 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote HeatherNY

Day 3 involves the laundry room.

When I read that today’s challenge involved the laundry room, I thought, “Oh, this will be easy!!!” Well I guess since my oldest daughter does most of the laundry, I didn’t realize the state of my laundry area / pantry. So glad that Crystal picked this area today!!!

You can see pictures here

Even if you missed the first couple of days, I'd encourage you ladies to just jump in today. Hey, and I'd love to see your pictures!!!

Doodle Acres

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

I've been trying to do a "de-cluttering" project lately, too, as I've felt very disorganized since our big overseas move last summer. I'm not generally a "keeper of stuff" but lately I feel like I can't find anything because it just doesn't make sense or something.

But I think what I've decided this house just doesn't ORGANIZE well. THere's plenty of storage but it's all very spread out. I can't quite figure out what the problem is, but I've been in much smaller houses and apartments that worked better. Or I'm just used to living with about 1/2 the square footage and know how to deal with that better. Honestly, though that has its own frustrations with 2 active boys, it is a lot easier to keep clean and organized. I feel a bit "lost" here.

But "decluttering" seems like a great idea for something to do for Advent, preparing our hearts for the Savior. Kind of cleansing in a season when "stuff" gets too emphasized in many ways!

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

HeatherNY
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 12 2007 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote HeatherNY

The challenge continues. I posted pictures of my home office - before and after here

Doodle Acres

hsmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 15 2007 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote hsmom

Okay this is embarrassing. I can't figure out how to go from one day to the next. The only days I find are the ones linked here. Can someone help this "haven challenged" woman?

Valerie
Back to Top View hsmom's Profile Search for other posts by hsmom

HeatherNY
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 15 2007 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote HeatherNY

hsmom wrote:
Okay this is embarrassing. I can't figure out how to go from one day to the next. The only days I find are the ones linked here. Can someone help this "haven challenged" woman?

Valerie

Valerie:
Just click the "Home" link on her left side bar. Then you can scroll down to see the other day's challenges. OR you can click the Dec. 2007 posts in "Peruse the Archives" which are in the right sidebar. I think you need to do the second option to see all the challenge posts. Hope this makes sense. Please feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Doodle Acres

hsmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 15 2007 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote hsmom

Thanks Heather.

Valerie
Back to Top View hsmom's Profile Search for other posts by hsmom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version