Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Nice Maternity Skirt - finally! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 02 2007 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

This is a great maternity skirt from Motherhood. It looks great, is very practical, and reasonably priced. I wore my denim one last week around the house, etc. And, the tan,corduroy one to Mass this morning. It's A-line, gored.

I'm only 5 months along, so I'm wearing it with a Bella Band to keep it up. It would be OK without it, maybe slipping a bit, but I have big hips so things wouldn't fall as much as on non-hip people. I think the band on the skirt will be fine for when I get bigger.

The fabric has some stretch to it. The denim has the most stretch, but it is also the tightest fit. Then the stone twill, then the latte corduroy is the biggest. Go figure...same cut, same size....all different.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 1:39am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

That is a lovely maternity skirt Suzanne and there are some similarities to Helen's on her blog at present (her latest pregnancy photos.)

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

dawn2006
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote dawn2006

I love the latte corduroy one. I only have two months left...wondering how I feel about buying a new skirt... I have one denim skirt that I've had since my first preg and it's ripping. BUT I really liked that latte one...

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have 4 of them!!!!    They are a staple in my current wardrobe. You are right to discern some slight differences in how they fit as you grow though. I bought 2 denims and one khaki and one corduroy khaki. At almost 7 months now, and after the baby explosion, my denim skirts are getting extremely tight around my tummy. Also, as the tummy gets bigger, the small elastic tummy panel of the denim skirts starts to creep down lower and lower. It's just starting to be an issue of concern for me - I just have to make sure I wear a nice and long maternity shirt, but I don't think the denim skirts are going to make it through the duration of pregnancy. But the two khaki skirts seem to have a bit more...ummm...room to grow and for some reason have a more comfortable tummy panel. I think/hope they'll make it to the end which is late Feb/early March for me.

I am considering braving the mall at this crazy time of year to invest in one more khaki (if they still have one in stock.) You might keep that in mind Suzanne. If you can find another khaki, grab it before it's gone.

Also, I don't want to hijack your thread Suzanne, but I thought I'd mention that after another thread where we discussed leg coverings/tights while pregnant I found that any size 2x and above tights sold on supermarket shelves work great!!! (Thanks to Helen for that tip! ) I have a nice brown pair and they look really cute under the denim skirt. Plenty of room in the tummy, and not too tight!

Glad you found some skirts - the selection everywhere else is appalling! I did find some nice church skirts at a consignment shop - don't know if you've checked one of those yet. And ebay does have some nice offerings.    

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have the skirt in twill, and have enjoyed it through two trimesters. I rolled over the waistband in the earlier months, and now it barely fits. What's great about this skirt is my bare legs don't show up as much.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

I'm not really a skirt/dress person, but even I'm tempted to look into getting one with my Christmas money. I'm looking at the corduroy since it's so cold around here, although the denim is really cute, too. I had a corduroy jumper when I worked some where with a skirt/dress-only policy and was really warm. It would be nice to have a change from the rest of my maternity wardrobe, which consists of 4 pairs of sweats and 1 pair of maternity jeans.

This is my first spring baby, so this is my first time starting to get big in the middle of winter. I think I can justify a few expenses, especially since other than one pair of maternity jeans I only have maternity shorts and crop pants. Thanks for the idea.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

Thank you so much for this. This is perfect timing, I was just looking for a maternity skirt.

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

I so need these....but:

question, ladies: how is the length?

I am almost 6'---where do they fall on you all?

Thanks, I really hope these work out!!! I have the hardest time finding things to fit....

BTW, I love the Bella Bands!!!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Nina -
I'm 5'5" and it falls right about mid-calf on me. It's a good length for me (covering most of the pregnant leg - you ladies know what I mean ), but I'd bet they'd feel a wee bit short on you. I don't know, it may all depend on whether or not you're long-waisted or short-waisted. In your scads of free time and in one of your more insane moments, you might just pop over to the mall and try one on. It's a great wardrobe staple if it fits.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Nina:
I have a size Large and it is 34" long. I'm 5'5" also and it's mid-calf. BUT, I'm envisioning what Jennifer described in later pregnancy....probably having the band way under the belly which would make the skirt quite a bit longer. If you have the bella-band, you could wear it pretty low with the bella-band ensuring that it wouldn't fall down, if you don't have larger hips.

Jennifer - I'm laughed with you when I read that you have four! I agonized over getting two of them, and now I'm considering taking your advice and getting a third!!!!!    I seriously wore the denim one ALL LAST WEEK.....my dd-6 had to tell me that she thought i should probably "wash that skirt, mom.....you've been wearing it all week."

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Thank you, J. and S.

I look really silly when the skirts fall at that weird point not quite right...do you know what I mean? Proportions are really hard for me. But I agree, that I should give it a whirl, esp. if I can totally ride it down! Actually, I do that with most things and it drives my husband crazy. He is constantly pulling things up (even with the band or a cami underneath). I TRY to explain!!! Waaaaaa...I get no sympathy for being large and wanting to be comfortable....

and 2 yet-to-be-met

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

aussieannie wrote:
there are some similarities to Helen's on her blog at present (her latest pregnancy photos.)

I think this skirt is the one Helen is wearing???? It looks like it. I tried this one on too, but it was too tight in the hips for me. It's definitely straighter/tighter until the last 18" or so and then it beautifully flares out. It's a lot longer and is very flattering. Not enough room for me up top, though.

Nina, this would fall perfectly on you, since you're tall. So, if you go to the store, ask about this one too...it's nice. You never know.

Then there was this one, I thought it would look nice with my   new tights to show off my varicose veins. Whadya think?

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I forgot to put the winking, embarassed and laughing emoticon up above, lest anyone think I was actually SERIOUS!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:

Then there was this one, I thought it would look nice with my   new tights to show off my varicose veins. Whadya think?

I am laughing my head off here!!!    What do those people think when they design these things for pregnant women? The LAST think I want to show off right now are my legs - scary!!!

I remember seeing the other denim skirt there at Motherhood - the one Helen is wearing on her blog - wonder if I might pick that one up to substitute for the denim ones I am fast outgrowing? And grab another khaki twill one as well? Hmmmm....that would be skirts 5 and 6 for me - feel better Suzanne? Of course, if I have to eliminate my two favorite denim skirts from my wardrobe in the next couple of weeks, that brings me back to a reasonable 4. Now, to work up the courage to go to the Mall!

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

Please keeping sharing these items as you find them. I'm due in mid-to-late summer and can use all the help I can in building up a modest maternity wardrobe. For the most part I've been able to get away with cooler weather clothing, due to when the others have been born. This one's gonna throw me for a loop clothing-wise.

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

OH! I love that patchwork-type skirt Helen is wearing in that pic!   Where did she get it? Motherhood? I haven't seen it online....?

Anyone know how TALL Helen is?    Helen?!   

and 2 yet-to-be-met

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Okay...I figured it out and found it at Motherhood.com. But I'm still wondering if that model is 5 feet!   

and 2 yet-to-be-met

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Oh I wish I were pregnant I spent so long last pregnancy looking for good clothes and finally settled for a very bad wardrobe.

I don't think dh will go for me buying maternity skirts before I'm even fertile again! Maybe if you all buy enough Motherhood will keep offering them . . . Is that motivation enough for those of you considering skirts 5 and 6?

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Nina Murphy wrote:
Okay...I figured it out and found it at Motherhood.com. But I'm still wondering if that model is 5 feet!   

A Size Medium in that skirt is 39" long.

Mackfam wrote:

Hmmmm....that would be skirts 5 and 6 for me - feel better Suzanne? Of course, if I have to eliminate my two favorite denim skirts from my wardrobe in the next couple of weeks, that brings me back to a reasonable 4.    

Yes, I feel much better!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:
I think this skirt is the one Helen is wearing???? It looks like it. I tried this one on too, but it was too tight in the hips for me. It's definitely straighter/tighter until the last 18" or so and then it beautifully flares out. It's a lot longer and is very flattering. Not enough room for me up top, though.

Nina, this would fall perfectly on you, since you're tall. So, if you go to the store, ask about this one too...it's nice. You never know.

Went to Motherhood yesterday and bought 2 more skirts - the one Suzanne linked to above (the same one Helen is wearing in her pic) and another twill khaki 6gore skirt. I'm normally a medium. The medium twill fits fine, success there! But, I couldn't try anything on in the store yesterday (had the 3 kids - ever tried anything on with a 3yo and dressing rooms with curtain closures? ) When I got home I tried on "Helen's skirt." It looks awful on me! It's very long - so I thought of you Nina! But, as Suzanne mentioned above, it's pretty tight from hip to mid-thigh, then it flares out quite a bit. I looked like a beached mermaid. It wasn't pretty! I'm average height, and the skirt is floor length on me. I don't mind this, as I was planning on wearing it with my brown boots, but the tightness up top made the look pretty weird looking. It seems the denim skirts across the board at Motherhood are sized a bit small. If you're considering a denim skirt and are in the early stages of pregnancy, they're great for that in between "too big for regular clothes, but too small for anything else maternity" stage. But, I find that for the last trimester, you have to size up. I'm going to just go exchange my "Helen skirt" for a size large denim skirt in the 6 gore. I wish the other skirt looked as good on me as it does on Helen.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version