Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Movie question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

I was wondering if anyone here know anything about this movie? Link here

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Just that it's being marketed the same way that Bella was - it's supposed to be a good, pro-life kind of movie and we're taking the kids to see it next Friday, which is the same day as the opening of "Golden Compass" ....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Hmmmmm....what has anyone heard about Noelle? We thought it was produced/directed by a homeschool dad but now we get this from the Catholic League:

Quote:

On December 7, Gener8Xion Entertainment, a prominent Protestant film company, will release “Noëlle.” Catholic League president Bill Donohue disputes the claim that the movie is merely “a parable of forgiveness and grace”:

“We’ve seen the movie and it’s a gem. In the synopsis provided by Gener8Xion, it accurately describes Jonathan Keene as ‘a young Catholic priest seemingly devoid of genuine human emotion’; his job is ‘to do what he does best: shut down a failing parish.’ Then there is ‘the child-like Fr. Simeon Joyce, a faithful but disillusioned priest who blatantly disregards church regulations, uses church monies to pay an old fisherman’s medical bills and spends most of his time drinking at the local pub.’ Both priests are portrayed as losers.

“Viewers learn that the only reason Fr. Keene became a priest is because he felt guilty about getting a girl pregnant when he was in college; to top things off, he pressured her to have an abortion. Fr. Joyce, the alcoholic, has serious reservations about celibacy and his idea of heaven is a jolly good Christmas party. Fr. Joyce tells Fr. Keene he wants to marry a woman named Marjorie so he can help raise her illegitimate kid, saying he ‘made a vow to God not to the Church.’ But Fr. Keene, a first-class klutz, is also in love with the same woman: he is shown bolting in the middle of Midnight Mass to be with her, knocking over a filled chalice and ripping off his vestments.

“Throughout the film, confession is trivialized, celibacy is ridiculed, the Virgin Mary is disrespected, nuns are belittled, last rites are mocked, and priestly vocations are caricatured. In short, that which is uniquely Catholic is trashed. However, the plot and the acting are so deliriously absurd that it is impossible for us to get too worked up about this flick.

“It means nothing that the movie has a pro-life message. Stereotypes about Protestant ministers abound, raising the question, Why didn’t Gener8Xion choose to mock one of their own clergy? Similarly, given that the film’s writer, David Hall, has said that his primary interest was in ‘dealing with hypocrisy,’ why didn’t he consult with Sen. Charles Grassley about all those ‘prosperity church’ pastors being investigated for ripping off their flock? We know why, and that’s why the Catholic League exists.”

So, I for one am confused. We were GOING to go see it Friday evening as an Advent treat, but now we don't know what to do .... anyone?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Kelly Wall said on the CCM list they were a homeschool family, though obviously not a Catholic one.

It sounds like they brought a lot of fundamentalist notions about Catholicism that could have easily been avoided if they'd used a good consultant on the script. Wonder why they didn't do that. Then why market it directly to Catholics? Very confusing.

Barb Nicolosi says Enchanted is great. She also loves Juno and August Rush as great pro-life movies but Enchanted might be more interesting to the younger dc.

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I just got the same message from CL via my homeschool group. I was so disappointed.

On a happier note, "Bella" is still on at our local movie theater!   

I also heard, from a friend, that "Enchanted" was a very cute story. We don't get out much, so I always like to take the boys at Christmas time, to make it all extra special. Between the oldies shown at an old movie theater near us ("A Christmas Story" last weekend and "It's a Wonderful Life" in two weekends,) and the "Enchanted" movie, I should be able to accomplish that!    

I think there was someone promoting the "Noelle" movie on the CCM loop? I also recall that someone was concerned by the trailer, regarding potential anti-Catholic scenes. Apparently that mom had it right.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Aggie gal
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote Aggie gal

Mary G wrote:
Hmmmmm....what has anyone heard about Noelle? We thought it was produced/directed by a homeschool dad but now we get this from the Catholic Legue

I just saw this as well. How dissapointing..

There has been a bit more of an exchange on the CCM email loop, where one of the creators and stars of the film, Kerry Wall, posted this:

Hi all,
I am one of the makers of Noelle. We are aware of the negative review Mr. Donahue gave us. I would ask you to please read the review that the Dove Foundation gave us at www.dove.org. Edwin Carpenter, the reviewer, has said he in no way believes this is an anti-Catholic film, and he stands by his review as written. I will pass on to you an email I wrote last night to Annie Sires, another member of this group, to give our view..
Hi Annie,
Noelle is a pro-Catholic movie. It is pro-Grace, it is pro-Life. Pro-Catholic meaning there are two priests; one an imposter, in the wrong calling, one gets renewed along with his dying parish. Pro-Grace, meaning that if a priest is at an altar about to commence midnight mass and realizes someone is dying, the Grace rules and he
runs to save a life. The wine spills on the altar, symbolic of Jesus spilling His blood to save our lives.
Pro-Life meaning the beautiful child who would have been, forgives the man who aborted her, freeing him from his haunting guilt. We have had priests personally thank us for the story line and the depiction of them as human beings.
I agree, the Catholic league certainly does have a lot of negative things to say. Our film is not about the letter of the law, but the Spirit behind the law.
This film was not made for the religious but in hopes that people, Protestant, Catholic, Jew, Muslim, atheist, would come to the theater and get their hearts bruised by the Grace of Jesus, seen acted out in a parable. No "tarring" is intended or ever was. I ask you to read the Dove Foundation's review at www.dove.org. They have heard about the anti-Catholic accusations, and they believe it is not in any way an anti-Catholic movie and are standing by their review.
Thank you for caring, please pray about it and do what you think is right before the Lord.
Peace,
Kerry Wall

Kerry mentions that there is a reveiw in Catholic Digest as well. I'll have to check that out, since I just read the review at dove.org and it was more or less a screenit.com review-- looking at the amount of language, sex and violence type of thing. I'm looking for a little more than that.

Back to Top View Aggie gal's Profile Search for other posts by Aggie gal

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I looked at Catholic Digest, and it seemed more of a Q&A with this lady's husband, rather than an actual review.
I looked at the Catholic Bishop's movie review site, but didn't find anything for upcoming releases except for their Golden Compass one, read here.
I looked at the Dove Foundation, and just to compare, I looked at their review for Bella, which they only gave 3 "doves." (It is the latest movie I have seen and the only non-child movie in ? years.)
Someone responded on the CCM loop with some of the same concerns I had- I was going to respond as well, but was searching for as kind and charitable language as I could, and hadn't quite got it right.
Some of my concerns:
-the "imposter priest" who had made the wrong choice for his life (not sure if he leaves the priesthood at the end of this movie for the lady who is pregnant?)
-on the Dove site, it talks about a priest giving someone a "tongue-lashing" for questioning the virgin birth. (I guess I can only picture the priests I know being concerned and asking to speak more fully with someone who might say this.)
-obviously the spilled chalice (was it before or after consecration?)
-a priest portayed as a "drinker," and from the descriptions, somewhat of a bumbler.
-a priest who is haunted by visions, presumably, of his daughter, whom he made his girlfriend abort, and the fact that he couldn't get forgiveness until he made it up to her by ?guessing here? marrying the pregnant lady in the ?congregation?- not sure that happens, just guessing from the talk and reviews.
-and, just drawing from the trailer and such (purely personal observation,) a Church community that doesn't seem informed about their Faith at all?

Overall, I guess I see a huge lack of understanding about the Catholic faith. The person interviewed by Catholic Digest said he wanted to portray priests as normal guys. Given the way the Church has been treated by the media, I just see it as perpetuating the media's bias of Church ineptitude. Given that priests aren't portrayed as they used to be (remember Fr. Mike (Frank Sinatra) in "The Miracle of the Bells?" Very humble, kind and gentle portrayal of a priest.)
Not understanding about forgiveness and from whom we seek it (Jesus) and about reconciliation, really makes it inaccurate.
Ok, I am babbling on and on! I'll stop.

I feel bad, because ?Kerry Wall seemed genuine in her, and the other creators of this film, desire to do something good. I really wish they had sought input from those who take their Faith seriously. I am only guessing they didn't?

God Bless,
Stacy in MI

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Hey Stacy and all...

I let the whole Noelle thing happen on CCM, and it is playing out very interestingly. Yes, the family involved with the film are members, and I allowed them to discuss the film openly on that board. I still think that was the right decision. Whether the intentions were innocent, or whether the production company was deliberately targeting Catholics with a pro-life but anti-Catholic film is yet to be discovered. And we may never know. But I think this is a lesson to them: We take the sacramental aspect of Christianity, which is Catholic, very seriously. To abuse the sacraments on-screen, even symbolically, is just wrong.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Aggie gal
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote Aggie gal

MacBeth,

I think it was a great decision have open discussion on the film. I have gleaned lots from it already and appreciate you having it on there. I also agree on it perhaps being a good lesson for those involoved with the film. I will continue to follow with interest. Thanks for all you do for that loop and this board.

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I second that it was a great decision. I hope that Kerry and her family don't take our concerns in the wrong light, but that they can be a source of discussion and enlightenment about our wonderful Faith.
I am a convert, and I know I had no clue about the depth of the Catholic Faith or its teachings before my conversion.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI (who is more grateful with each passing day for the incredible gift of Faith and the love and sacrifice of Our Lord.)

At_His_Feet
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote At_His_Feet

Excuse my ignorance, but what is CCM?

Back to Top View At_His_Feet's Profile Search for other posts by At_His_Feet Visit At_His_Feet's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

CrunchyMom wrote:
I cannot believe that the USCCB took the authors motives so lightly--going so far as to recommend reading the books with your children instead of forbidding them....They are children.

I read the recommendation to be discussing teens and not children, especially when combined with the AII rating (adults and adolescents)....
Quote:

Will seeing this film inspire teens to read the books, which many have found problematic? Rather than banning the movie or books, parents might instead take the opportunity to talk through any thorny philosophical issues with their teens.

Not saying I'm recommending their position regarding this movie or book .

At_His_Feet wrote:

Hi, Tricia. CCM is the yahoogroup from which this message board sprang:).

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

At_His_Feet wrote:

Oops! I should have spelled it out. CCM is Catholic Charlotte Mason, the group from which this forum sprouted.

Sorry for the confusion!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Oops again! Angie beat me to it.

Kerry Walls, who is heavily involved in the film, just posted a response on CCM.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Angie Mc wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:

I read the recommendation to be discussing teens and not children, especially when combined with the AII rating (adults and adolescents)....
[QUOTE]
Will seeing this film inspire teens to read the books, which many have found problematic? Rather than banning the movie or books, parents might instead take the opportunity to talk through any thorny philosophical issues with their teens.

Not saying I'm recommending their position regarding this movie or book .

You are right. When I reread, I thought of that. However, I still feel that their position will influence the number of *children* who are shown the film and given the books. It seems they should not endorse at all a film that has an anti-Catholic agenda. Those books are being marketed heavily in conjunction with the film--I don't think you can disconnect the two. To say it isn't as evil as the Da Vinci Code because the attack isn't as blatant is wrong, imo. Isn't the worse kind of evil that which can masquerade as benign? I know that I would probably *enjoy* the movie since I love fantasy, but after reading how the author means to seduce children to atheism, the thought makes me ill.

Anyway, I'm not ranting to *you*--its just that I didn't really need the USCCB to do something else to disappoint me, lol.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

*Moderator's Note*

In the past, when discussion about the same topic is going on at other online volunteer services (such as yahoogroups or blogs) we have found that there can be a blurring of back and forth that gets confusing. In general, members here speak for themselves and link to helpful resources, and we refrain from posting quotes from those who are not members of the message board. We base our discussion on "those in the room" and public information that is clearly intended to be used as a public resource. Thank you!

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

CrunchyMom wrote:
   Anyway, I'm not ranting to *you*--its just that I didn't really need the USCCB to do something else to disappoint me, lol.

I do understand, Lindsay. It's funny, I often have a different opinion than the USCCB...I'm tougher (we need an emoticon with muscles )

Love,

Aggie gal
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote Aggie gal

Angie Mc wrote:
*Moderator's Note*

In the past, when discussion about the same topic is going on at other online volunteer services (such as yahoogroups or blogs) we have found that there can be a blurring of back and forth that gets confusing. In general, members here speak for themselves and link to helpful resources, and we refrain from posting quotes from those who are not members of the message board. We base our discussion on "those in the room" and public information that is clearly intended to be used as a public resource. Thank you!

Whoops... Sorry 'bout that. Yep, good rule, makes sense. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. And thanks also for your time put in to moderate!

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 6:04am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

This is all so interesting about Noelle - I might try the movie on DVD but it doesn't sound like something I would take the children to.

I kept watching the clips but something about them just bothered me. I think it is valid point - why use Catholic clergy?

Mary - thanks for bringing this up again. Always nice to know when my caution radar is working!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Dh and I are probably going to see it this weekend ... he teaches senior high school theology and really needs to be able to "talk to" the good the bad and the ugly within this film. So I'll let you know what are opinion is.

BTW, I think it's interesting that today is St. Ambrose feast day ... here's an interesting quote from the good doctor of the Church:
Quote:

Our own evil inclinations are far more dangerous than any external enemies.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version