Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Whole chickens...what to do? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kathleenmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote kathleenmom

I am the proud owner of several organic whole chickens just procured from local farmer.

What would you do with one of these if it belonged to you? I myself am a Vegetarian, but not so the rest of my family. I am not squeamish...but lots of cutting and chopping through bones gets to me. Something crockpot-ish would be very appealing.

Thanks,
Kathleen

AMDG Academy
Back to Top View kathleenmom's Profile Search for other posts by kathleenmom Visit kathleenmom's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

They are dead, right?

I like to make roast chicken. Salt and garlic powder on chicken (inside and out), chopped up celery, onion, carrot, inside cavity (and garlic, if you want real instead of powder). I use a Pampered Chef covered stoneware baking dish and cook for about 1 1/2-2 hours at 350. Serve with rice and pour the au jus gravy over the rice and chicken. Yum.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Simple, place in crock pot whole, with a bottle of Teriaki sauce, cook on low for about 6 hrs, viola, yummy chicken! Serve with rice or potatoes, whatever you have.

Just throw the rest in the freezer and use whole when you need. If you are not big on chicken, keep them for other families you may be called to take a meal to.

Whole BBQ in the crock pot is good and easy too!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Salt and pepper and olive oil.

I am a fan of Laurie Colwin's method -- 3 hours at 250 degrees in an oven, then I raise it to 450 for 10 more minutes, turning it after 5 minutes.

The most tender, fall-apart chicken, with crispy skin. Yum!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

dollylima
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote dollylima

How young are they? We raise chickens and what I end up doing with them has a lot to do with how young they are at the time we cull them.
Back to Top View dollylima's Profile Search for other posts by dollylima

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I love to throw a whole chicken in the crockpot with some honey and melted butter...the kids love it!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Older chickens are more tender after stewing or slowcooking in the crock pot. I like to make it a 2 step process-cook and strain broth, remove the fat after chiling the broth and reheat maybe over biscuits or noodles.
I roast younger birds and have done it both in the crockpot when not home before dinner and in the oven. The crockpot will not give you a nice crisp skin, but slice before you serve at the table and noone will ever know.

Since they are freshly butchered, do extra rinsing of the cavity. As a former vegetarian (I eat the meat I rasie now) just rinse and swish your hand in the cavity--DO NOT LOOK!--this is from experience. Unlike store bought birds there is often stuff hanging in the bone crevases of the ribcage. I also rerinse the body cavity with a citrus juice, orange or lemon and dump out. OR you get someone else to do this.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup

8 Cups water
4 medium carrots, cut to 1/4 inch slices
1 medium stalk celery, cut to 1/4 inch slices
1 small onion, chopped
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper
1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 lbs.)
3 cups egg noodles, uncooked

1. In slow cooker bowl, combine carrots, celery, onion bay leaves, thyme, 4 t. salt, 1/2 t. pepper. Place whole chicken on top. Cover and cook low 8-10 hours or high 4-5 hours.
2. Transfer chicken to cutting board. Discard bay leaves. Start noodles to boil on the stove.
3. While noodles cook, remove and discard skin, fat, and bones from chicken, shred meat.
4. Skim fat from soup and discard. Return chicken to soup, add noodles, and serve.
Serves 6. (From October 2006 Good Housekeeping magazine)

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I'd roast it like I do a thanksgiving turkey.. then strip the meat and cover everything left with lots of water and onion and celery and salt and cook it good and long and then strain it and have good healthy homemade chicken broth for the freezer too.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version