Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Advent unit study? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 12:19am | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

Now that i know what im going to be doing for Thanksgiving, it's time i think about Advent. I'm having this baby next Monday, at the latest b/c they'll induce me if i dont go into labor by then. I'll use the downtime to do research and planning.

Is there something special you'll be doing for Advent? This will be the first year we celebrate Advent so im a little lost. My family is coming mid Nov for 2wks and with a new baby, i'd like to keep things light and fun. I've read about Elizabeths Tomie De Paola unit study for this time of year or something like that but i cant find it anywhere. Is this free?

Can anyone help me out here? I'd like to do a Jesse Tree as well. I think i can pull that off this year. I've found a few resources on that. I also want to make an Advent Calendar with them and i've found a really easy one to do. Any other ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Gracie,

Have you looked at Cay's Christmas Mosaic as discussed here? Here's a link to the actual site where it's being sold. This should have everything you'd need (other than the books, of course )

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

Thanks Mary! I just saw that on another thread and im now checking to see if my library carries any of the books. That would be perfect!

eta: my library only carries a few of them but i think i might purchase it and the books package. Either that or i might purchase the few books of Tomie De Paola that my library doesnt have so i can do the tomie de paola unit study. I do have Catholic Mosaic but i havent had the opportunity to use it b/c my library doesnt carry the books and we've been tight on money for some time now. I guess i can use Christmas as my excuse to purchase some books.

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 20 2007 at 12:47am | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

We have used and really loved a book by Ruth Graham (former wife of Billy) called "One Wintry Night." We have liked it so much we've done this 3 different years. It is not specifically Catholic, but I do not think there would be anything objectionable in it. It is quite long, and we break it up into 4 separate readings, and do the readings after we light the candles for Advent on Sunday nights. The illustrations are gorgeous. It retells the whole gospel story, from Creation all the way to the Cross. The only thing is your girls might be a bit on the young side for it. My younger son was ok at 4 and 5, just depends on if they are used to longer Read-Alouds.

Elizabeth always seems to have some wonderful plans (the Tomie de Paola and Jan Brett plans from the past). It seems like one of these used to be on the 4real page, but the page is down right now? We have the Jan Brett collection which my mom bought for us as a gift and we love it. Even if you were busy with the baby you could just enjoy the stories. Jan Brett has LOTS, I mean hundreds, of free coloring pages and activities that go with her books on her webpage, many are christmas related--an easy sort of "independant" activity you can have them do while you're with the baby.

My boys loved having a "Playmobil" advent calendar last year. I bought it for them special as I took a trip away from them for several days during Advent. There is a little box with a toy to open for each day, and they all come together to create a scene. Generally more "Santa" themed than "Faith" however, though sometimes they have angel type themes. (It's different every year and I don't know the theme this year).

I have to chuckle a bit when you say "downtime" however! That's never quite how I felt when a new baby arrived !

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

graciefaith wrote:
I've read about Elizabeths Tomie De Paola unit study for this time of year or something like that but i cant find it anywhere. Is this free?

Yes, it's free. Elizabeth's original 4Real website is no longer up, but the files for both the booklist and the de Paola unit are still hosted on Macbeth's website:
Tomie de Paola Advent/Christmas unit.

Hope this helps,
Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

vmalott wrote:
Elizabeth's original 4Real website is no longer up, but the files for both the booklist and the de Paola unit are still hosted on Macbeth's website:
Tomie de Paola Advent/Christmas unit.

Actually, Elizabeth has updated the unit and posted it on Real Learning. It's new and improved.   

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

Oh, and I forgot to mention that pictures have been added, as well as the Jan Brett unit.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

OK Now I am VERY excited... we've done this unit yearly for about 3 years now :)

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

At_His_Feet
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote At_His_Feet

My son LOVES the book "The Jesse Tree" by Geraldine Mc Caughrean. He's been asking me for weeks when we can read it again! It's part of the MA curric.
You read one chapter each day. It's a wonderful book.

Back to Top View At_His_Feet's Profile Search for other posts by At_His_Feet Visit At_His_Feet's Homepage

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

oh I'm so excited--have drooled over the De Paola unit and I think this is the year! It DOES seem very fleshed out from what I remember, it will be hard to choose! For all of Dec. we are doing only Advent for school with the 8 year old

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 23 2007 at 12:17am | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

Thank you all so much!! I'm still deciding b/c our library here doesnt carry too many de paola titles and none of the other titles from other authors that her unit study calls for. I'll see if i can get them to order them or find it in the other base libraries around us. I want to see how much the book package for the Christmas CM will be too. Thank you again!!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2007 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Dear graciefaith,
It saddens me that your library doesn't carry the Catholic Mosaic books but I'm not surprised. Libraries are not Catholic institutions and don't always carry the books.

But.... Catholic Mosaic also uses books that should be on those library shelves. What about "The Little Match Girl", a tale by Hans Christian Andersen?

"The Tale of Three Trees" ???

"The Donkey's Dream" (well worth the purchase, btw) and, goodness, "The Last Straw" is a darling storybook about a camel...and I don't guess he's Catholic.

Books by popular author/illustrator Demi? No?

Just tell your librarian that the author was wondering if these books were on their shelves. They are not "Catholic" books, per se.

Of course, if they don't even have too many of Tomie dePaolo's books then I suspect we're dealing with a very small library system. But, yes, check with them again. One system connects into another larger system. They can get the books brought in for you, but it will take awhile.

Now would be the time to request those Christmas books for "Christmas Mosaic" and the "Catholic Mosaic" books for Jan/Feb/March.

I just posted the featured "Christmas Mosaic" books on my blog. Take the list to your librarian and ask her to see how many she can get in for you before Dec. 2nd (first Sunday of Advent). Tell her you need them for a school project. Hopefully she'll be pleasant and willing to help you.

You are right though. Christmas is an excellent excuse to give books as gifts. I always wrap them up in purple and give them as gifts on the feast of St. Nicholas (Dec. 6th). We enjoy the new Christmas books during the time we spend preparing and waiting. It's a good tradition.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2007 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Congratulations on that precious new baby, btw.

Sweet. Sweet.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2007 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

graciefaith wrote:
This will be the first year we celebrate Advent so im a little lost. My family is coming mid Nov for 2wks and with a new baby, i'd like to keep things light and fun.

I also want to make an Advent Calendar with them and i've found a really easy one to do.

Me again.

I was rereading your original questions and trying to focus on helping you from that aspect. With a brand-new baby I'm sure several aspects of your planning are limited though, as a whole, so many more aspects of your family are expanded.

I did want to mention one of the featured book in "Christmas Mosaic": Waiting for Christmas by Kathleen Long Bostrom/Alexi Natchev.

It is the story of the pastor and his family who is "credited with making the Advent calendar".

In "Christmas Mosaic" we've included a traditional German Cookie Recipe (as that's where the story takes place), but you could make a simple cookie Advent calendar using whatever works for you this season.

Also, the book (Waiting for Christmas ) comes with an Advent calendar and the stickers to use.

mom to 5

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 27 2007 at 4:37am | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

Thank you Cay!! I do want to purchase the Christmas Mosaic and the book package. Our library here only has 2 books on the list.

We live on base and overseas so yes, it's a very small library system. We can however borrow from other base libraries around us. I did submit a list of CM books for them to either purchase or try to get from one of the other base libraries but unfortunately, neither was possible. We move next April and im praying that our new base will have a better selection of books.

Thank you again!!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2007 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Information on the Christmas Mosaic book package.

ALSO...do not miss this announcement!

"...we have had some delays at the printer. Our new ship date for Christmas Mosaic is November 2 or 3. To thank you for your preorder and to make up a little for the delay, we will be including a copy of one of the featured books with your order. Be sure to order by November 1 to receive this special gift.

mom to 5

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2007 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Since you are overseas and have a lack of books but do have Internet, I'd thought I'd mention TeachingMOM's Advent Calender as an alternative, Graciefaith.
A warning though - do not try to do everything on that site!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 01 2007 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth's whole Tomie de Paola unit is on her blog with links and pictures in order as a page here:

Advent and Christmas with Tomie de Paola and Others -- An Integrated Literature Unit for Advent and Christmas.

You can also find it as a link on top of the lefthand sidebar when you visit her blog.

I love, love, love this Advent unit study. I've only done bits and pieces over the years since my son is little, but the book suggestions (dePaola is one of OUR favorites, too) and the family activities are so realistic and doable for a family during the busy time of Advent. Best of all, it's all free.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

Thank you Jennifer for the TeachingMOMS link. It has so many wonderful things we can do.

Thank you ladies for all the help and suggestions.

I just found out that we will have to move before the year is over. It's just to another housing unit b/c they're renovating this one. It will be a hassle though. They want us to move this month but with my parents visit, i just dont want to do it. So, we're thinking 2nd week of December. We'll have to clean up this apt. too before turning in the keys. Another hassle. Plus, we're PCS'ing sometimes March-April so dealing with another move very soon.

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Cay,

I just followed the link to Amazon for the "Catholic Mosaics..." book. Where can I purchase one? It looks neat.

Thanks

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version