Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: What are you reading now? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 24 2005 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Hi Everyone! I just finished "Calico Captive" by Elizabeth George Speare. It is a pretty light read, actually from my son's reading list. But it was very good and I was sad when it was done. The main character is led to make a big decision at the end of the book. While you can easily see her making either decision, and neither is really painted in a way to make it seem wrong, you do find yourself (or at least I did) really hoping she makes the "right" decision.

Well, is that confusing or what? Anyway, it is a good wholesome book! And based on a true story!

I also finished Watership Down for the first time in 20 years. What a wonderful book!

For Lent I am trying to keep up with The Fire in the Cloud(Martin) and Christ, King and Crucified(Groeschel).
My brain seems to be in a fog though and I am not doing a very good job spiritually this Lent.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 25 2005 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

kristina wrote:
MacBeth wrote:
I am almost afraid to admit it, but I read a junk-novel last week. Confessions of a Shopaholic was very funny in parts, but quite light, and with (only) a few annoying passages making fun of virginity and endorsing casual sex. Oh well.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I admit that I, too,    was entertained by the Shopaholic series which is still on my night shelf. I referred to it as "mommy twaddle."

Mommy Twaddle, ! Yes, that's clearly what it is! (Oh, and Welcome, Kristina!)

I can redeem myself, slightly. Don just came home from CPAC with my own (signed, beautifully!) copy of Michael Medved's autobiography, Right Turns. I'm about 1/3 the way through it, and it's soooo funny, especially as he describes his undergrad encounters with J F Kerry...

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 25 2005 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I'm reading Herb of Grace by Elizabeth Goudge, at Leonie's recommendation.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2005 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Oh, I loved the trilogy by Elizabeth Goudge that started with The Bird in the Tree. For the life of me I can't remember the second book, but the third was Pilgrim's Inn. Really great...

I'm not reading anything for myself right now, but my dd and I are reading An Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott. I enjoy it, too, so I guess it's also for me .

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 27 2005 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Hi Molly!
The third book in the trilogy is The Heart of the Family. And Pilgrim's Inn is the same book that Elizabeth mentioned. The other title for it is Herb of Grace. I think one title was used in England and one in the US.

I've turned my children on to Elizabeth Goudge now too! We had a very fun time today using a Barnes and Noble gift card that was sent by dh's sister and husband for Christmas. Each of us got to spend about $15 and oldest 2 dd's bought E.G.'s The Little White Horse and Linnets and Valerians. I have heard that the first book is good. I had never heard of the second one, but the cover looks good, and I have enjoyed everything I have read by E.G. thus far.

Oh, and I picked out Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. I don't know much about it, but know I've heard of it from one email list or another. Anyone enjoy that one?

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2005 at 11:50pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Today I read A WALK TO REMEMBER BY Nicholas Sparks

Has anyone read it? I do not read too many recently published books........and I am not even sure what made me order it from the library...... , but I enjoyed it and read it in one day.

It was very sweet and I cried for the last 20 pages

if anyone needs a quick read.......this is it!

from amazon: (I am too lazy and tired to write my own description )

Product Description:
There was a time when the world was sweeter...when the women in Beaufort, North Carolina, wore dresses, and the men donned hats...when something happened to a seventeen-year-old boy that would change his life forever.

Every April, when the wind blows in from the sea and mingles with the scent of lilacs, Landon Carter remembers his last year at Beaufort High.

It was 1958, and Landon had already dated a girl or two. He even swore that he had once been in love. Certainly the last person in town he thought he'd fall for was Jamie Sullivan, the daughter of the town's Baptist minister.

A quiet girl who always carried a Bible with her schoolbooks, Jamie seemed content living in a world apart from the other teens. She took care of her widowed father, rescued hurt animals, and helped out at the local orphanage. No boy had ever asked her out.

Landon would never have dreamed of it. Then a twist of fate made Jamie his partner for the homecoming dance, and Landon Carter's life would never be the same. Being with Jamie would show him the depths of the human heart and lead him to a decision so stunning it would send him irrevocably on the road to manhood

I looked on amazon at the movie from this book......as usual....they mess up the original story..and the parts that make it good. Sometimes, it feels like the movies are LIES.........know what I mean???

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 12:45am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Chari wrote:
Today I read A WALK TO REMEMBER BY Nicholas Sparks

Has anyone read it? I do not read too many recently published books

I read it - like you said it is a quick read and very touching. I also cried through the end. My son who had read it before me came in on me while I was reading the last chapter and said, "I knew you'd cry, Mom!"   I cry during Hallmark commercials!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2005 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

Hi:

For all of you mystery fans.....

I just finished Pithed by Katharine Lively. It was recommended on Catholic Exchange and I am really glad I bought it. It is a murder mystery written by a faithful Catholic about a faithful Catholic. Almost unheard of. It was really well written and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Great twist at the end.

I like to try to support Catholic authors whenever possible. It is such a shame that the twit who wrote the DaVinci code is laughing all the way to the bank and someone who has a character that prays the rosary is considered "alternative" .

Other recent reads, I like Tamara Meyers for culinary mysteries and I just received "Words of Wisdom from Our Holy Father". Also I have the new Clive Cussler going.

I just pulled a soup and stew cookbook from the library (I forgot the name already) and a relly neat book called The Artful Cupcake. What these people can do with a humble cupcake is amazing.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2005 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I've been reaidng the Beany Malone books (by Lenora Mattingly Weber) along with my 13-1/2 yo daughter. They're fun and good stories about high school/college age girls who are Catholic and live their faith (but they're not preachy -- altho a bit "dated"). Quite fun.

I tried to read Triumph by Crocker, but it was a bit too brainy for me (and a tad triumphalistic?)

I'm also boning up on Jim Arnosky's books as my littles are working through these for the next few weeks (thanks to Cay Gibson's Book Fiesta list).

And, I've always got an educatin book or two going -- currently re-reading elizabeth's Real Learning and some others for reviewing in Heart and Mind...

Geez, I need to get a new fun book at the library -- bye!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2005 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

I am sad to say that for personal reading my list is lacking, unless you want to consider the Sonlight catalog and cookbooks personal reading .

I am however, reading Little Women with my dd for the first time and we are absolutely devouring it! I never read it as a young girl myself and at almost 40, eek I'm wondering what it would have been like to read it sooner. I sure am enjoying how much my daughter is loving it and I know she will re-read it herself many times over as she grows up. That in itself brings much satisfaction to my home schooling efforts.

Oh and I almost forgot, Voices of the Saints by Bert Ghezzi.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2005 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I loved reading others' reading lists. Until a couple years ago, I never had more than one or at most, two, books going at a time. Once I started looking into -homeschooling, that changed!
Current reads:
Triumph (Crocker) - history of the Church
Catholic for a Reason -Hahn and ?
Keeping a Nature Journal - Leslie/Roth - I am *loving* this and getting so many ideas, plus the book is just so satisfying, visually and tactilely, if that's a word, really nice thick pages
Good And Angry- Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller - this is a re-read only b/c my book club is doing it. It's a parenting book from a Christian perspective, helping you see how anger can be a tool to see what's wrong, but not a tool for changing things, etc. It's actually been very helpful to me this past year.
Just finished Chesterton's Father Brown stories (some in a Dover thrift book) 1st time I've read them and I enjoyed them immensely.
Also just finished The Bronze Bow, b/c ds is reading it for Roman history. I really liked it, and esp. enjoyed the description at the end of the boy's conversion.
Oh, I'm also reading the entire Little House series to 5 yo ds. We are on the Plum Creek book almost done with it. I'm amazed at how interested he has become in them. It started with seeing a DVD of one of the Christmas episodes, and I had the set of books already (I never read them as a child either). These are his first chapter books.
I think I have a few more books started, but they aren't really in my "active" pile so I'll leave them out
karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2005 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

One of my favorite books is "A Few Lines to Tell You - My Life in Carmel by Sr. Marie" available from CHC. I read it in its entirety on Mother's Day 2 years ago - just couldn't put it down. I also love "King of the Golden City" also available from CHC. The kids & I just finished listening to the recording of it by Simonetta.

JMJ,

Brenda - mom to 3 boys, 3 girls - 10 1/2 to 4 mos.
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 25 2005 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

Wow, there are some great reads in this thread. Looks like I'll be kept entertained for quite a while.

I'm reading Blessed Miguel Pro right now by Ann Ball and before this whole Terry Schiavo issue, I never felt that our Faith would be "squashed" by the gov't in this country like in Mexico. I'm re-thinking that now. Its been very eye-opening what corrupt power can and will do.

On the secular side, I just finished reading Zero Game (no sex or sexual inuendos and two cuss words in the whole book). Woo weee, talk about sitting on the edge of your seat! My heart was pounding in my chest before the first 100 pages. The book is about a minor betting game within the Senate and House....or so it seems, until someone gets killed. Although, I'm not terribly fond of politics, this book was a great read with a surprise twist at the end.     
Back to Top View KristinaP's Profile Search for other posts by KristinaP

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2005 at 5:13am | IP Logged Quote Erin

I am reading 'George Pell' by Tess Livingstone.
The book is written when he was the archbishop of Melbourne, He is now Cardinal of Sydney.
It is so interesting because I am learning so much of current Church history
Another part that fascinates me is that Pope Benedict, who is still Cardinal in the book is depicted from an insiders viewpoint. A real insight.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: May 06 2005 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Erin wrote:
I am reading 'George Pell' by Tess Livingstone.
The book is written when he was the archbishop of Melbourne, He is now Cardinal of Sydney.
It is so interesting because I am learning so much of current Church history
Another part that fascinates me is that Pope Benedict, who is still Cardinal in the book is depicted from an insiders viewpoint. A real insight.

I had never heard of George Cardinal Pell before the papal election. One of my daughters pulled his name from the basket at the entrance of the church to pray for him the week before the conclave began, so he became a familiar name at least. Then after Cardinal Ratzinger was elected, Cardinal Pell was quoted a number of times in the Washington Post. He must have known Ratzinger fairly well, from the quotes I read. It must be an interesting read.

I just finished a book about the episcopacy. I think I'll start a new post on that book.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: May 06 2005 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I just finished reading Rise, Let Us Be on our Way by Pope John Paul II. It was written only a few years ago and covers his life after his ordination as bishop and before his election as pope. I think it should be required reading for every bishop. Pope John Paul was such an incredible shepherd, even before he became pope.

It is so beautiful because it is a book of JPII's personal reflections, so it reads very differently than a biography or an encyclical. It made me aware of his deep love for his homeland of Poland in a new way. And it made me feel as if I know JPII in a new way, and love him the better for it.

I now have his newer book of reflections Memory and Identity waiting for me at the library, so that will be my next book to read.

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2005 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Thank you ladies! I have a whole list of books and authors to look for at the lib. today. I am currently reading the following:
Life of Pi
Sophie's World
The Art of Mending-fiction in case anyone thinks I can sew!
Literature Alive
The Shyness Breakthrough

I think the Sonlight catalog counts so I will add that on the pile too! I did get a pretty basket from a friend that I keep my books in so I don't get another hot spot.

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version