Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: lanterns ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 13 2007 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

So how are you all making lanterns ? I'd like to do this with the kids but we can't affrod the kit I see at nova toys . how about wax paper and cardboard . I see in earhways they use oatmeal boxes but we no longer have oatmealboxes . ideas ?
Thanks , Roxie

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2007 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Hi Roxie,

We made the lanterns described in Earthways last fall (the first one on page 33, not the one with oatmeal box tops). It was very fun and successful! We just rolled painted watercolor paper (long rectangular shape) into cylinders and taped them closed (folding the tabbed bottoms inward first). Then we made handles and I attached a small tealight inside the lantern with a roll of masking tape. They were so beautiful!

Another lantern we made years ago with friends who were Waldorf homeschoolers was to glue bits of colored tissue onto the outside of canning jars, then make handles with a length of wire twisted around the rim. A small tealight was attached to the bottom of the jar. We set them up in the dark windows as all our children were quite small at the time.

We've never done a lantern walk, but I would love to try one this year. I'm not sure how I'd handle the candle part. I think my olders would be very careful, but my littlest would need mama to hold it.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

dollylima
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 12:32am | IP Logged Quote dollylima

We have made several over the past five or so years. The first ones we made were from thick watercolor-grade paper, which we painted before we did any cutting...we then cut out some holes that resembled stained glass windows and covered those holes with some colored waxy paper (you could use tissue but the wax paper seems safer to me) and then we connected the sides with glue to form a square-shaped (you could just roll it up and make it cylindrical) vessel. We put a tea light in the bottom, anchored with some melted wax. Some yarn was braided to make the handle. We have done variations on this theme a few times, in different shapes.
When my son was five, he was in a Waldorf kindergarden and they made the lanterns from bell jars with pieces of colored tissue glued to the outside. There was wire wrapped around the mouth of the jar and then wrapped around a nice thick sturdy stick, so that the children could carry the lanterns themselves but keep them away from their bodies. This is my favorite design so far...we are making them out of bell jars this year, with the wax paper cut into a little more sophisticated designs and glued to the outside.
We have our lanterns from every year...the jar one is on our nature table in our classroom and the others hang (sans candles) in my son's bedroom. They are among my favorite mementos.
Back to Top View dollylima's Profile Search for other posts by dollylima

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

We made a candle surround for Candlemas using a variation of an idea I saw on Katherine Johnson's old blog:

Candlemas shade

You would either have to suspend a glow stick in the middle or attach a base, but it might work and it was fairly cheap.

I have been intrigued by all of the Martinmas talk and will probably try something new but the transparent vellum is great stuff. You can print a picture on it or color your own and the light really illuminates it!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

One idea I saw just the other day was to print out your design and roll it into a canning jar. Than using liner paint, outline (on the outside of the jar) the design ... paint the rest of the outside of the jar with dark paint ... wire around the jar top and a votive inside .... doesn't that sound cool?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

dollylima
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote dollylima

Mary - that does sound really cool!
It makes me smile thinking of all the families who will be out walking with their home-made lanterns on the St Martin's Feast day.
Back to Top View dollylima's Profile Search for other posts by dollylima

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2007 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

Thanks Gals . I think we can handle this on the weekend . no big celebration here just family fun
Much Love , Roxie

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Roxie and all ~ I just put up a post about our Martinmas tea today, and we ended up making the glass jar lanterns. They were so very easy and sitting in the front window they looked very pretty as the sun went down. I really wanted to do a lantern walk but the boys all have colds. Maybe later this weekend.

I was thinking these glass lanterns might be nice as luminaries come Christmas ...

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Lorri
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Lorri

I posted about our lanterns right after you did, Dawn. Ours are paper.

Back to Top View Lorri's Profile Search for other posts by Lorri

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I'll try to post pictures of ours in a little bit.

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote nissag

I love the paper lanterns made with transparencies and mats - just beautiful!

I also loved Dawn's glass and tissue paper ones - the boys looked like they were having a ball!

What to do? Hmmmm.

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Here are the lanterns we made.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version