Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Value of boys over girls? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mimmyof5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 13 2007 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote mimmyof5

When our third daughter was born, a good friend asked me if my dh was disappointed! Disappointed. There was never a happier man. He's crazy about his daughters.    Then when I was pregnant with our twins, it was constant with the "now maybe you'll have that son", "you know, we need leaders and priests". The twins were girls!

In our very small group, activities do seem more heavily weighted towards boys. They have camp outs, sledding parties, football games, etc. for the boys. The girls truly don't have as many get togethers. As I think about it, several of the families have more boys than girls, and there is a real push to raise husbands/fathers, leaders, priests. Since I have all girls, I don't think about that so much although I'm very glad these families are putting so much effort into the formation of their sons. They could be our future sons-in-law. It's just that my girls would like to have more activities for them.

As far as my dh wanting a boy, I asked him one time and he said that truthfully, he never thought about it, boy or girl. What he saw was another beautiful soul given to us by God. And I guess fortunately for him, our girls tend to be more the tomboy type. They camp, fish, clean fish, help dad change the oil, work with him in the shop.    He did say if we had had only one child, a girl is what he would have hoped for because daughters are so special. My dad only had girls, too. And he was the best father a girl could have wished for. Again, God knows best.

Janet
Back to Top View mimmyof5's Profile Search for other posts by mimmyof5

Veronica's Veil
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 16 2007 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote Veronica's Veil

I hope this makes you feel better but I don't know. We have two boys and are wanting more children we are working on adopting more children but due to space or lack thereof, we need to adopt boys because we don't have enough bedrooms for girls too...when I say we are looking at adopting 2 more boys people ALWAYS say "OH? Don't you want any GIRLS?" And it makes me feel guilty sometimes but it's all in God's hands, I can rest easy
Back to Top View Veronica's Veil's Profile Search for other posts by Veronica's Veil

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2007 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

I know what you mean Veronica's Veil. If we were talking purely practical reasons, it would probably be more cost effective if this third baby were another girl. While most of our newborn through three-month stuff is gender-neutral, beyond that size-range things become more and more feminine. And older dear daughter started demanding to pick out her own clothes around 2 1/2 and she definitely leans towards pink.

I'm just thankful that most of our toys are fairly gender neutral. We avoided all the pastel versions of bins, blocks, and such. Of course, we always kept in mind that we might have a boy down the road. Of course, we still have a good ten weeks or so before we'll find out either way. Then I'm sure we'll hear "Are you disappointed it's another girl" or "Congratulations on finally getting a boy".
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 16 2007 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

Barbara C. wrote:
It has really got my husband and I thinking, and I wonder if this is because boys are more valued or because of the stereotype that the "perfect family" has one boy and one girl. What about those of you with a long (or short) of string of boys? Do you experience the same thing? And do you feel that people think that you just had one more child because you weren't satisfied with the sex of your previous children?

Our first was a girl and everyone asked if we were hoping for a boy with our second. Since we had another girl, no one was surprised that we decided to "try again" and when we "got our boy" they assumed we were done. #4 was another boy "to balance it out". I'm sure we'll get more of the "how many are you going to have? comments when, God-willing, we announce #5.

I don't think it's about the "value" of boys vs girls so much as the pervasive idea that we're destroying the planet through overpopulation and it is irresponsible to have more than two children. There is only a little understanding that parents may want to do more than "replace" themselves if it is because they really want a boy or girl and haven't had one yet. Because, after all, children are possessions which we are entitled to have when we are ready to have them, you know.
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version