Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Arctic Books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
myboysnme
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 11 2007 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote myboysnme

Hello. I am new to posting on the forums. This is my first year homeschooling. My boys are 6 and 2. We are enjoying getting started and mainly following our interests with FIAR and a few other things.
Right now, we would like to learn about the Arctic region and possibly throw in the Antarctic. I would love some suggestions for books to read and anything else you would like to add.
After spending a little while just reading and learning from all you wonderful ladies, I am excited to join in and post!

Thank you very much for the help and suggestions.

God Bless,
Michele
Back to Top View myboysnme's Profile Search for other posts by myboysnme

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 3:01am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Meredith posted a link to a great mini-unit their family did.

This is an area that we havne't read too much about, but I know there are tons of books on this topic out there. I was just purusing our library site and there are several I'm going to check out to review.

We love the Tacky the Penquin books for that age. Not particularly full of artic info but really funny none-the-less.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Here are some books we read while covering the Artic, we checked out lots of books from the library, these are just from our personal library.

Very First Last Time by Jan Andrews, this is a FIAR book, my children love it!

One Small Square Artic Tundra by Donald M. Silver

This Place is Cold by Vicki Cobb

Artic Son by Jean Craighead George

Artic Alphabet Exploring the North From A to Z by Wayne Lynch

Icebergs and Glaciers by Seymour Simon

Welcome to the Ice House by Jane Yolen

The Poles by Bernard Stonehouse

Artic Chill! This is one of those books that come with the tube of animals.

Some of the Jan Brett Christmas books are good for to use when studying this area. We also watched a video about Ernest Shakleton, I think we also have a book told from his cats point of view.

Have fun!

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

We love Tacky the Penguin around here! Mr. Popper's Penguins is a great and fun read alound for Antartic studies.

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 13 2007 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote ami*

There is one unit at HSS set in this region--

The Wild Christmas Reindeer

It's definitely a Christmas themed book.   

Back to Top View ami*'s Profile Search for other posts by ami* Visit ami*'s Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Oh, this looks like a great list, and what a fun time for an Arctic/Antarctica study!! Thanks for linking me Mary

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

myboysnme
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote myboysnme

Thank you so much for the suggestions. They have been very helpful. We are enjoying our study of the artic region. The links were fantastic. We have been working on this for a few days, but my computer crashed, so I apologize for the belated thank you. I am at the library today, and I was very excited that Very Last First Time was finally available. My son will also really love the Artic Chill book, since he loves all the miniature animals. I still need to pick it up at the bookstore. Meredith's mini unit was very helpful. Thank you again so much!

Michele

myboysnme
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote myboysnme

Ami,
I have Wild Christmas Reindeer on my list for December. I found it at the library and was so excited to see that you had it listed on homeschool share. It will be great to revisit the arctic and see what we remember! I am starting the Stellaluna unit around Halloween, since my son's favorite animal is bats!

Thank you,
Michele

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2007 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thank you so much Michele, I'm so glad it was helpful You will LOVE doing the Wild Christmas Reindeer, you can see our Gingerbread Baby lapbook here. It was a large unit that Kim and Elizabeth put together and SO fun!! It might give you some ideas for your Reindeer unit
Blessings!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Kumak's Fish: A Tall Tale from the Far North - adorable book we just read - the kid's loved it and it's funny, unexpected ending!

Arctic Lights - Arctic Nights - helps to show the dramatic length of day and night with the changing seasons in the Arctic region.

The Lamp, the Ice,and a Boat Called Fish - interesting true story of a expedition that gets locked in the ice and how they survive.

Little Cliff and the Cold Place - Not about the arctic but about a little boy from the southern US who is fascinated with finding out about a cold place he can't even imagine. He wants to visit the polar region but since he can't, his grandfather comes up with a great local option - an icehouse. Very cute. I think it would be really fun to do something like this for a "polar experience."

Polar Explorers for Kids - this book series from Chicago PRess is excellent, they always have lots of great ideas.

Games that look like fun for this unit:
North Pole CamouflagePenguin Pile-up

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 2:12am | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

My favorite is:

Children of the Northern Lights, by the D'Aulaires

I am not going to post the link because the price now is unreal!!! But I was able to buy it used last year off Amazon for $12.

I also love the art in Jan Brett's books! The give such a neat "flavor". The Wild XMas Reindeer as mentioned--also "Trouble with Trolls" and the other one featuring the same characters, and "Who's that Knocking on Christmas Eve" is great, featuring an ice/polar bear.

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 2:44am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

hereinantwerp wrote:
I also love the art in Jan Brett's books! The give such a neat "flavor". The Wild XMas Reindeer as mentioned--also "Trouble with Trolls" and the other one featuring the same characters, and "Who's that Knocking on Christmas Eve" is great, featuring an ice/polar bear.

Has anyone seen the new Jan Brett - The Three Snow Bears? We just put it on hold it but haven't seen it yet. Bet it is perfect for this unit.

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version