Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Favorite apple? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

missionfamily wrote:
i'm all about pink lady and honey crisp...gala if they are unavailable....favorite dessert at our house....cored and sliced apples in a bowl with caramel and whipped cream in the middle and peanut sprinkles on top.

Colleen,

YUM! I won't tell my kids that or they will move right in! Maybe we will have that for desert tongiht.

nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote nicole-amdg

We recently had an apple tasting. Dh's is golden delicious, one dd's is Fuji, one ds's is Honeycrisp, other dd's is Gala, and two other dss are like me: we like 'em all!

I liked this guide to apple varieties for our apple unit. We're nearing the end, capping off with Rain Makes Applesauce and How to Bake an Apple Pie and See the World--and making applesauce and apple pie of course. (With Macks and Galas, respectively.)

Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We are boring here - tart Granny Smiths seem to be the favorite of most in our family.

Hey, and I just posted a new thread in Rabbit Trails - Apple Unit Brainstorming as a place to include apple unit ideas. Those who have been doing those units, I would love it if you would post ideas there.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

nicole-amdg wrote:
I liked this guide to apple varieties for our apple unit.

Oh good. I was just thinking that I needed to search for some chart that talked about the varieties and uses. Thanks for posting this!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I went to an apple orchard today with my sisters. Although the kids loved the whole thing, I was disappointed in the lack of varieties.

They they had no Macs -- AND my grocery store had no Macs.    Although they did have Honey Crisp which I'm anxious to try!!

The orchard had mostly eating apples and very few options for baking. So now I'm stuck making apple sauce and apple pies with YORK????? (I wanted to try Stayman because I remembered a couple of you recommended them for baking... but they didn't have enough of those either.)

So...anybody have any luck baking with YORK??

I'm such an old dog, and reluctant to try a new trick. I'm tempted to hop in the car and drive north and get a bunch of my beloved Macs.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

How sad we were picking at different orchards ! The orchard we went to had mainly Golden Delicious and Yorks. I have applesauce in the crockpot as we speak. I picked up some Honey Crisp for you to try at Wegman's. Now I'll go back and get you some Macs. If you can't wait at least you don't have to drive to far north to get your Macs, Wegmans has them.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Okay -- first I can't believe both were apple picking -- and not together! We went spur of the moment this morning.

And second -- you're a lifesaver!! I was so depressed. I wanted to say: "Is it not October? Where are the McIntosh apples people!!?!?!" But I refrained. The lady told me they don't do well in VA and fall of the trees in August, so they don't grow many of them...

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

When I was a kid, i would only eat Granny Smith. Now, I prefer Fuji so strongly that I have to go out of my way to try anything else, I just always buy Fuji. Tonight I saw these ENORMOUS locally-grown Honeycrisps at Whole Foods and decided to give them a shot. I'll let y'all know how I like them. :)
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

Oh, re: McIntosh in NoVA -- Whole Foods in Fair Lakes has those in bulk bags right now, they looked lovely.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

Well, NC has some pretty great apples, too. Usually, that is. Keep in mind that many varieties are much more limited this year because of the late frost that was near Easter. Regional varieties I like are nowhere to be found. I like one especially called "Mutzu" or "mutsu". It's what I would call an old-fashioned "granny smith", but not quite as tart. The frost got the whole crop because the timing of that variety. Anyway, I'm pretty close to farm issues with my family and friends of old... please don't be too hard on the folks with few varieties. It just wasn't possible this year.

The only up side to this is that it's forced me to try some new varieties. I bought a back of Empire something at the big farmers' market last week and we've thoroughly enjoyed them. We've made caramel apples, baked apples, an apple pie (Grace made it for my birthday a couple days ago!) and tonight I made a yummy apple-glazed pork chop dish. You can find it on allrecipes.com...

JoAnna

Joelle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 12 2007 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote Joelle

Northern Spy!!! Tart & great for baking, but I just love to eat 'em! Cold weather hurt our varieties this year-not too many spys (or is it spies?). Either way, bummer.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version