Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Advent planning Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rebeccafrech
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 19 2005 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote rebeccafrech

I know that it seems very early to be planning for advent, but I am trying to be more organized and plan ahead a little better. We have decided to take 6 weeks off at Christmas and focus only on celebrating advent and then the 12 days of Christmas. SO, does anyone have any favorite ideas ir traditions that they's like to share? I'd be glad to have them. Thanks.
Back to Top View rebeccafrech's Profile Search for other posts by rebeccafrech

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 19 2005 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Dear Rebecca,
Here is an advent reading list, Click on Advent and Christmas. And then there is also a unit; click on "Tomie de Paola booklist"--we're going to try to lapbook this one this year. Then, check out the rabbit trails forum for more literature ideas and lapbook ideas, using Jan Brett books.
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

theNetSmith
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Posted: Aug 19 2005 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote theNetSmith

E-

Your advent reading list link wasn't pointing to the right page, but I have corrected it. Classic case of frame interference.

-T
Back to Top View theNetSmith's Profile Search for other posts by theNetSmith Visit theNetSmith's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 19 2005 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Much of my Advent focus follows the feast days. The first big one is December 6, Feast of St. Nicholas. You'll get TONS of ideas from St. Nicholas Center...lots of great supplies and links here, too. My family ALWAYS makes speculaus (Dutch spice) cookies for this feast. The mixing and baking are the main part of the celebration, then that and other gifts are put in the shoes "from St. Nicholas." Last year we had a puppet show with St. Nick telling about himself and asking if everyone was a good child.

Mary's feasts: Immaculate Conception, December 8 and Our Lady of Guadalupe, December 12, really focus on the purity (first feast) and then maternity of Mary. We do a Mary Candle...covering a candle with a cloth on Dec 8, to illustrate her maternity.

Advent Wreath is a must.

The other big custom we do throughout Lent is the Jesse Tree. There are a variety of versions...

This thread on Resources for the Liturgical Year also has some ideas and links.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 19 2005 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

What I forgot to mention is that the feasts tie in beautifully with the books, especially Tomie de Paola list that Elizabeth posted. He has one on Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2005 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

jenngm67 wrote:
The first big one is December 6, Feast of St. Nicholas. You'll get TONS of ideas from St. Nicholas Center...lots of great supplies and links here, too.

I'll second this! I just came across my St.Nicholas folder the other day and just looking at it makes me happy . The resources at the website are fabulous!

We didn't have much luck with a Jesse Tree. Each child wanted to make an ornament each day and it got to be more than I could handle. I would love to try it again, with a little more planning.

Last year we read The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gaarder and the year before that we read Jotham's Journey by Arnold Ytreeide. Both are advent stories to be read each day--it was truly like opening a present each day. Has anyone read any of the other Ytreeide advent stories? (I'm thinking of one about a girl, I can't remember the title, maybe recommended on CCM?)

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 20 2005 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Molly Smith wrote:
We didn't have much luck with a Jesse Tree. Each child wanted to make an ornament each day and it got to be more than I could handle. I would love to try it again, with a little more planning.

So many moms on this list talk about creating Advent Wreaths each year, designing new ornaments for the Jesse Tree...I guess I had learned a different approach growing up. My mom has 7 children and would be the first to admit she has low energy, so for home celebrations she was efficient. We didn't remake everything each year. One year we made the Jesse Tree ornaments. The focus of the Jesse Tree for us was hanging of the ornament on the tree and the reading and prayer.

Our Advent Wreath was made of artificial evergreen. Of course, it's not as beautiful or scented as a real one...but we had an Advent Wreath. The way family life deals curve balls, if having a wreath or doing the Jesse Tree depended on taking time out and MAKING IT each year, we wouldn't have had the devotions.

One year we made flour and salt dough ornaments of each ornament...painted with acrylic paints and sealed them. Each had a hole to suspend on the tree. We had a small (3 foot) little Christmas tree we kept empty all through Advent except for the addition of each Jesse Tree ornament each day. These lasted for years. If I ever get handy with wood stuff I'd love to make little wood ones.

What about making the ornaments as a few days' project instead of each day through Advent? Think of it like an Advent calendar...the calendar is made before Advent starts, not each day addition.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 20 2005 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Here's a great collection of Advent links from OLL Homeschool Resources. Since these were put together for 2004 Advent, some might not be up to date.

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2005 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Some ladies in our homeschooling group got together last fall and made their Jesse tree ornaments and dough ornaments before Thanksgiving. They gathered at different peoples homes each week and worked on their ornaments, had lunch, and then the kids played while the Moms visited for the afternoon.

This schedule didn't work for me, but I do plan to work on the Jesse tree ornaments this year and save the dough ornaments for another time.
It makes me happy to be able to have something to plan for and anticipate for each year.

I am very eager to do Elizabeth's Advent Unit. It should be a big highlight this year (and for many after too!).

God bless,

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 20 2005 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
We didn't remake everything each year. One year we made the Jesse Tree ornaments. The focus of the Jesse Tree for us was hanging of the ornament on the tree and the reading and prayer.

We also used the same Advent wreath each year when I was growing up, (in fact we used the same paper Advent calendar - my mom is very frugal!) and that is what I still do with my family. We also use the same Jesse Tree ornaments each year. Ours are made with Sculpey clay. Some years we add new traditions (and then keep those items as well for future years). But it is nice to have them already done and just pull them out for their purpose - I think that adds to the memories for the children. Those will always be very familiar to them - more so than if they changed year to year.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 20 2005 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
We also used the same Advent wreath each year when I was growing up, (in fact we used the same paper Advent calendar - my mom is very frugal!) and that is what I still do with my family. We also use the same Jesse Tree ornaments each year. Ours are made with Sculpey clay.

I'd love to see pictures of your ornaments! I'm looking forward to trying my hand at Sculpey clay. That medium is much lighter than the salt dough ornaments. That was the one drawback of ours...they were heavy!!!

MaryM wrote:
Some years we add new traditions (and then keep those items as well for future years). But it is nice to have them already done and just pull them out for their purpose - I think that adds to the memories for the children. Those will always be very familiar to them - more so than if they changed year to year.

Well said! The familiarity is another reason my mother did it. It seems to reinforce the tradition and leave room for my spiritual pondering....

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 21 2005 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

jenngm67 wrote:
Well said! The familiarity is another reason my mother did it. It seems to reinforce the tradition and leave room for my spiritual pondering....

What I should have said is having both old familiar traditions and interspersing new ones gives room for spiritual pondering....it's good to have a balance.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 20 2005 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Elizabeth wrote:
And then there is also a unit; click on "Tomie de Paola booklist"--

If anyone is going to be doing the Tomie de Paola Advent study, I thought this would be a cute go-along Advent calendar. And it also reminded me of the nativity rubber stamp set I saw at Kidstamps. You could make your own Tomie dePaola Advent calendar this these.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 20 2005 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Mary,
What a great find! I'm so excited about the stamping possibilities for a lapbook with the Tomie de Paola unit!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 20 2005 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
And then there is also a unit; click on "Tomie de Paola booklist"--

If anyone is going to be doing the Tomie de Paola Advent study, I thought this would be a cute go-along Advent calendar. And it also reminded me of the nativity rubber stamp set I saw at Kidstamps. You could make your own Tomie dePaola Advent calendar this these.

Mary, stop getting me into trouble! Oh, they have added to the rubber stamp collection! So many things I would love to get for my son, but I need to control my spending! I love that calendar. Has anyone had used it before?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 26 2005 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

The prices were too good to pass up, so I bought the Advent Calendar and The First Christmas and also got the book The Living Nativity that was also on sale. I can't believe how fast the shipping was, but also I'm just so excited on how great it all is! AND...I'm ahead of schedule. I have a little pile of Advent and ST. Nick gifts to start this liturgical year out right. Thanks, Mary for the tips.

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2005 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

The topic of Advent came up a few days ago.
Both Brigid and Laurea talked about how much they liked the Tomie de Paola books for the Advent season.
It has become one of our traditions.

Now, a "crafty" question-what exactly do you do with the nativity stamp set? Stamp them, color/paint them in? On what? notes, tags, and stationary for the holiday season?
Is this one of those questions that if I have to ask, I probably would not use them ?
Sculpey Jessie tree ornaments might be more our speed.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 26 2005 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

lilac hill wrote:
Now, a "crafty" question-what exactly do you do with the nativity stamp set? Stamp them, color/paint them in? On what? notes, tags, and stationary for the holiday season?
Is this one of those questions that if I have to ask, I probably would not use them ?
Sculpey Jessie tree ornaments might be more our speed.

That's funny...because the rubber stamp thing is more my speed than the Sculpey. I was going to ask silly questions like do you use the colored Sculpey, or mix your own...for a beginner Sculpey user I need pointers!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 26 2005 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

But I did find ideas on the Sculpey website to combine both rubber stamping and Sculpey as a project!

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2005 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

I wanted to do this Nativity last year but did not get to it. I am going to try it for this year.

It looked like a nice keepsake.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version