Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: If you bake your own bread ... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

... and could only share ONE recipe, which recipe would it be?

The one I'd share is one I might have mentioned before, but it is GREAT for last-minute bread-baking (like tonight, since I couldn't get out to the grocery for such mundane stuff as flour till my 16yod got home ).

Anyway, here's my recipe:
Fastest Whole Wheat Yeast Bread Ever!

Pre-heat oven to 400
Heat to body temp: 1 c milk, 1 c plain yogurt
Meanwhile, prove yeast: 1/2 c hot water, 1 Tbls yeast, 1 tsp sugar (let sit till bubbly)

Transfer both sets of liquids to a large bowl and blend in:
2 c whole wheat flour
1 Tbls honey
Cover and let rise 15 min in warm spot

Add 1 Tbls oil.

Sift together: 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp salt (I usually cut this to 1 tsp, but I'm like that ), 4 c all-purpose flour. Add to dough, one cup at a time until a firm dough develops.

Divide into two pieces and knead into a stumpy oval (football) shape and place on baking sheet. Cut slashes across the top with a knife and allow to rise another 10 minutes in a warm spot.

Bake at 400 for 25 minutes and you're done!

This makes a nice, "rustic" style loaf. If the crust is well, too crusty for your taste, brush a pat of butter across te top of the loaves as soon as bread comes out -- this will soften the crust and give it a nice brown look.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

I think I will try this tomorrow as I have everything I would need! Sounds easy and fun (and tasty!).
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Philothea wrote:
I think I will try this tomorrow as I have everything I would need! Sounds easy and fun (and tasty!).
You'll love it -- it has such a great dense, butter-able texture and a nice crust. And as I said, anything that can be made in an hour is a boon around here!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Ooooh, I haven't made whole wheat bread in a while -- gotta try this tomorrow! I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for sharing!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

I do have one question -- when you divide it into two pieces, do you leave it in two pieces? Like, do you end up with two small loaves? Or do you put it back together? Can you tell I have never baked bread?
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 11:39pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Considering the short bake time, it looks like two small loaves.

I'll have to dig out some recipes tomorrow to see which SINGLE ONE I'd want to share.   

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 27 2007 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

My 10 year old made this (our basic every day bread) recipe for the county fair.. against any and all yeast breads.. hand or machine made.. she competed against adults

and she placed THIRD

BEST WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
2 loaf version for the KitchenAid

2 cups water (110 degrees)
1 Tbsp. yeast (SAF instant)
2 c ww flour

Stir to mix well, then cover and let sponge 30 minutes. Turn machine on to stir to "punch it down;"

add:

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
3 c ww flour

Mix to blend. If needed add more flour by 1/4-1/2 cupfuls until dough cleans the sides of the bowl and is no longer sticky. Knead on #2 for 6-8 minutes. The flour amount is approximate; use only enough flour the cause the dough to pull away from the sides of the mixer bowl. Do not add more flour.

Cover with damp towel. Let dough rise in covered bowl 30 minutes until doubled. Turn machine on to punch down, remove from bowl to oiled counter, divide into two pieces. Form into loaves and place in greased loaf pans. Let rise in warm oven (turned off) until 1 1/2" above the rim of the pans. With loaves still in oven, turn oven on and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cover with clean damp towel to soften crust.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I'm going to tack this on to the end of this thread because it is the opposite extreme of Mary G's fastest bread ever. I can't remember if I've shared it before.

On Mon at 10:15pm I realized we wanted fresh bread for Tuesday's dinner. Tuesday I had a day planned with friends who I don't get to see enough and experience has taught me our outings are never brief. So I left Bill kneeling by the bed while I ran off to start the dough. When I came back 5 minutes later, he was still praying. I did nothing more until I got home at 5:30 the next evening. It was done baking by 9pm, but it made a great side for tonight's soup!

24 Hour No-Knead Bread
3c+ Flour
1/4 tsp instant yeast
1 1/4 tsp salt
wheat bran
non-terrycloth towels

1. Stir flour, yeast, and salt together. Add 1 5/8C water, and stir until blended. Dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover with plastic wrap & let rest at least 12 hours. 18 is better.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Flour a work surface & place dough on it. Sprinkle with a little four and fold over once or twice. Recover with warp and let rest 15 minutes.

3. Using a little flour to keep from sticking, shape into a ball. Coat a cotton towel with flour or bran or cornmeal; put seam side down, place another coated towel on top and let rise for 2 hours. When ready, dough will be more than double in bulk and will not readily spring back when poked with finger.

4. One half hour before dough is done, put a 6-8 quart iron, enamel, pyrex or ceramic covered pot (I use my Calphalon stock pot) into the oven and pre-heat to 450 deg F. When hot, turn dough into pot, shake pot to distribute dough. Cover with lid. Cook 30 min. Remove lid. Cook 15-30 min more until beautifully browned.

The loaf is 1 1/2 lb, I believe, and is round and has a cruchy crust. My neighbor has substituted whole wheat flour, added in bran and has doubled this recipe and assures me it is still fabulous.

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Here is the recipe we use.

1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg
1/4 cup of sugar
1 cup ww flour
2 cups bread flour
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. yeast

I use the dough cycle on my bread machine. Remove from bread maker and do a quick knead, shaping it to an oval and placing it in a non stick coated bread pan and then bake it in the oven for 30 minutes at 350.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Philothea wrote:
I do have one question -- when you divide it into two pieces, do you leave it in two pieces? Like, do you end up with two small loaves? Or do you put it back together? Can you tell I have never baked bread?
Yep, you'll have two football shaped loaves. This usually gives our family of 7 bread for dinner and one for the freezer (with a few slices left over for dh to have with breakfast)!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Rachel -- that bread sounds wonderful ... I'll have to try that one next time I actually plan ahead! THANKS!

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2007 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

when I was 17yo I went to visit my gramma . I asked her for her bun recie .she'd raised 8 children as a single Mum .Made a living in the bush camps cooking she knew how to bake
well I had recie card in hand and pen . I waited anticipating . I saved the card now all these yrs it reads
warm some milk , add butter , yeast some flour . that is all it reads that is all she told me I remember looking at it thinking " huh ?" well after child #3 came I tried bread . the first and only recipe from my other gramma's food that really schmecks cookbook . used it for a couple months that was it now I use that basic recie for all my breads . rye , french , cinnamon buns 3 kings bread etc. I just vary the original recipe . Now if my children were to ask me how do you make bread . well it'd say warm some milk , butter , yeast , add flour I do show our kids they all ahve helped make bread but they couldn't tell you measurements of course my gramma did not appreciate children much but yes she sure could bake Much Love , Roxie

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

I have always made my ww bread with our Bosch. But now, I'd like to use my Zojirushi bread machine more for those weeks I don't have time to bake. I have yet to find a good ww bread recipe for the bread machine that turns out good. Any suggestions?

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

Mary G,

We tried your ww bread recipe today. It was super easy and fast. It also tastes very good. Thanks!

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

sweetiesmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote sweetiesmom

This is my favorite all purpose bread. Not the bread we use for sandwiches, but great to put on the table with any meal. I often add rosemary into the dough while kneading.

1 cup warm water
1 1/2 tbls yeast(1 1/2 pkgs)
1 tbls sugar
1 cup warm milk
2 c flour ( I use what I have, although 100 whole wheat makes a denser bread)

Mix above ingredients together, beat 1 min. Cover bowl, rise intil doubled and foamy.

1 tbls salt
3 tbls melted butter(or olive oil)
3 1/2 to 4 c flour

Add salt, butter and about a cup of flour to sponge, beat hard 1 minute. Add the remaining flour. Knead 3 to 4 minutes. Let rise 2 hrs or until doubled in bulk.
Divide dough into 2 or 3 portions.(I usually make 2 round loaves)
Cover and let rise again until doubled in bulk (1 to 2 hours)
Bake 10 minutes at 425, then 25 minutes at 375.

sweetiesmom

Back to Top View sweetiesmom's Profile Search for other posts by sweetiesmom

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

These look yummy! I'm going to give them a try with gluten free flour, but does anyone have any "good" gf bread recipes?

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

hsmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote hsmom

AnaB, I have used this recipe with success in my zo bread machine. I do the egg version.

http://www.breadbeckers.com/recipes/zojirushi_bread.htm

Valerie
Back to Top View hsmom's Profile Search for other posts by hsmom

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2007 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Rachel May wrote:
I'm going to tack this on to the end of this thread because it is the opposite extreme of Mary G's fastest bread ever. I can't remember if I've shared it before.

24 Hour No-Knead Bread
Just wanted to say we made this bread today (started it yesterday and let it sit for 24hrs) and BOY was it GOOD! And so easy. I can't believe how few ingredients (both in number and amount) and yet it makes a fabulous, rustic crust type of bread .... wow! And so little work (I have to admit, unless I'm frustrated/angry about something, kneading can be a dray )...

Anyway, thanks SO MUCH for sharing this one. It is at the opposite extreme and yet one that I will definitely keep in the proverbial "hip pocket"!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version