Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: It's all 4real Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

So, we've had lots of discussions lately about Montessori, CM, Waldorf, Unschooling, etc. Must be that time of year, huh?

Anyway, one thing that keeps recurring in these discussions is an attempt to fit these philosophies/methodologies into our homes. But, you know what? We're ALWAYS going to have to adjust/tweak these as they're ALL created to work in a classroom (but potentially alternative-style) classroom. But additionally, we all have different homes, situations and dreams for what/how we want our children to embrace learning.

So to answer my question from a couple of weeks ago .... whatever works for real in my home, whatever helps the children love learning and to which I can learn too -- that's 4real! I'll continue to call myself "eclectic" and enthusiastically continue to tweak my home learning -- as my kids and I change and grow and circumstances change.

And I love hearing advice, comments and opinions from others -- and I'll glean what would work in my own home and ignore what won't ....

So, what's your curricula look like? Do you mix up a bunch of things or stick pretty strictly to one or another? Is your learning cyclical/rhymic -- more books and cuddle time in the winter and lots of outdoor nature study in the spring? What does 4 real look like in YOUR home?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Did you read "Survivin the Applewhites"????

Yep it is 4Real for us
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Excellent, Mary.
I find that I am big on taking what I like and leaving the rest behind. There is a lot to like in all of those choices, and plenty I don't care for as well, so our "curriculum" is, as Karen E says "schizophrenic."
I think our over-riding theme is nature-centered, project-based learning. But within that recipe there is plenty of Montessori, a good chunk of unit-study, and helping of unschooling, a smidgeon of CM, and a dash or two of arts-based education (which I refuse to call Waldorf because I find the term has so many negative connotations for me personally).
With that eclectic mix I think we cook up a pretty mean "us-schooling" stew!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote Willa

For some reason, I've always hesitated to call myself eclectic. I like "Real Learning" better because it's the common denominator in classical, CM, unschooling -- all the methods I'm attracted to.   "Liberal Arts" would be another term, but it is misunderstood nowadays --it sounds like the arts of liberals, or some glorified basketweaving curriculum. : ).

You're right, Mary -- one of my projects for this year is to approach a new thing in the spirit of Taking What Works! and what's Real -- sometimes the things in a given method, like CM or Waldorf, or unschooling, just aren't "Real" -- aren't Real for my family right at this time.   I have to be willing to go past things that are just dead wood for me right now, to venture towards the real heart of the forest.   

What is working right now?

Short Lessons for the things that are hard work to the kids (that differs from kid to kid and from book to book).   Sort of like doing "reps" for physical therapy or working out -- challenge, but not going on and on.

Some light ongoing review of things at an easier level -- the kids seem to do better in all areas if they can go back sometimes, and our wide age level allows for that easily -- 11 year old enjoys picture books or primary level art and science projects, and he can help "teach" a bit if he wants to.

A wide range of resources for the "humanities" -- sort of like Ambleside or Mater Amabilis but I do much better if the resources are integrated with each other, so I'm going for an overarching "theme" to pull the resources together.   Still, I approach the "theme" from all different directions, so the kids have freedom to make their own connections.

If a resource isn't working either for me or for the kids, I drop it, substitute, or minimize its use.   No more pushing through something just because I paid the money or think we "should" do this. I look for the way into things that suits US.

Saving time and energy to help them pursue their interests, and finding ways to include them into the normal curriculum -- not by devising a school-type unit around a casual interest, but by finding the real connections beween their interest and what I have planned.

Making a commitment to "strew" opportunities, books, and things of interest -- writing it in my planner, because otherwise I let it slip! and being willing to show interest, and give time and energy to helping them become used to the new strewn object -- another thing I have to actually write down, because it is difficult for me.   

Finally, CM's motto helps me: Something to Love, Something to Do, Something to Think About.   I try to balance our homeschool so that we have opportunity to do all those things.   Build relationships; work with hands; read and study and write.   

It's nice to write it out -- thanks, Mary -- sometimes I look back at the things I wrote years ago for the CCM or classical egroups and it reminds me of where I was at a given time, what's changed and what hasn't.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

In our house, my children all want plans but I don't like the textbook - regurgitate type things as I want my children to be really engaged in what they are doing and really learning. So we have come to a balance, I hope, individualized for each child in the family and based on strengths and weaknesses. I'm also trying to better utilize the talent that is here in the family already and make the most efficient use of my talents and minimize the impact of my weaknesses.

Since our children tend to be one passion type folks, we try to make sure to require a balance. Since there are so many in the house, I do try to pull together a common theme in history and science (though this year we made an exception based on one child's very strong preference for something different in history) and we do join together in a lot of real living faith - devotions, Bible reading, some catechism quiz games and, of course the celebrations related to the liturgical year and some presentations of the catechesis of the good shepherd materials (I generally try to do this singly with the youngest 2 and then do one presentation for all the olders together so that they may use the material at will).

The history and science are areas where one or the other child has their passion and having them studying the same general thing means there is some exchanging and rubbing of enthusiasm. It also means this project impaired mom doesn't have to worry about getting any projects going - the child with the passion will lead the rest and it will reinforce the current learning of everyone in the house. I also don't always have to answer or help find answers to things I know nothing about - and when there are so many different folks, that is sometimes a huge time demand in and of itself. Generally we find the person whose passion it is will jump in and help out from sheer joy and delight (and we like the contagiousness of this).

In areas of the child's strength, my plans are very loose and my resources extremely numerous with many things sketched as idea starters. The children run with this and tend to not use any kind of textbook here except as an occassional reference. My biggest problem is finding new resources in areas of passion as these children inhale whatever I have, usually over the summer before school officially starts. I don't agonize over the planning here (well except when I don't know enough to find resources because a passion is in an area of total ignorance for me - and in these areas I tend to overorder because I simply have no idea what I'm doing ) but simply let the children lead - though I have a general idea of interest area in the summer planning time so I can order all the resources they might need or have some Montessori activities or things set up to stimulate the same area. I take lots of input from the children here and it may determine the whole direction of the year in these areas.

In areas of the child's weakness, I try to plan very carefully to make sure it is not neglected, but that it does not overwhelm us either. I am a lot more specific here but I consult the child very carefully in choosing from things that I find acceptable and in setting out what I expect to get done. I also tend/plan to spend more one on one time guiding this a bit (or it doesn't happen at all). I do try to pull from areas of strength to make this a bit more fun. So for the science fan who hates to write, I give options for writing assignments that remind him that he may choose lab reports, or a descriptive paragraph on wildlife or nature observations, or ... but he will write so many papers and this is not debatable - there is a reminder in his lesson plan to begin his paper, the rough draft due, to review and edit his paper, final draft due, final revision and paper due are all on the plans spread out over the time that we estimated together it would take. There is something on his plan everyday related to his writing assignment so that he remembers that he must be working on it and cannot simply panic on the last day and spend the rest of the week doing science. Now this deadline is somewhat flexible and I will bend the deadlines if there is good reason - something other than gee I simply didn't want to tackle this.

I do not require a lot of writing in a subject area of little interest to the particular child. In those subjects we concentrate more on input and only minimal output - ie timeline for history or a project for the more hands on projects oriented folks. I may encouraged more from time to time, but do not generally require it. We overhear conversations, have informal discussions at dinner, etc. that let us know if this is working. We try to entice here more with either just real reading, and projects - based on the child. My science fan this year was adamantly opposed to doing the same history as all my history fans and expressed real interest in American History so we let him choose from several on hand texts one text that he could use as a guide (He chose from Sea to Shining Sea) and I selected a huge array of living books to go along with this. He chooses things to read along with each section based on a list I made for each chapter. But the actual time management for this subject is spelled out very specifically and what is expected is very clearly indicated for him (for his sis who is a history fan, her history plans are more like his science and very loose with lots more writing, etc. and I don't worry so much about spelling everything out unless something is requested). With my science fan son we intersperse his history with Geography, since I found the Holling C Holling books and activities and that seemed more "science based." and dovetails nicely with the history. He has begun to like history and has expanded what he is willing to choose to read on his own. Goal achieved here. (Boy it is good to reflect on this as we are still struggling with the writing and it is a good reminder for me that we have already made great progress.)

In areas of challenge, we do try to keep the time short per day and plan so that we give plenty of extra time to complete assignments, but things are spelled out rather specifically on the plans - otherwise the child gets so sidetracked they never get to it. I'd rather them do this well, than rush through to be done with it. I will consult my children as I plan the lessons for the year. Ok, how much or how many pages are you able to read and still retain and ponder the information in this subject and I use this guide. No point in requiring them to read 10 pages on science when they are only going to retain 3. If they tell me 3, then specific pages to read are spelled out on the plan - again there is flexibility here but if it isn't spelled out, it doesn't get done or someone will simply scan a page and say they did said undesirable subject.
I will give plenty of time in the writing so that we have time to do several editing sessions. I only get adament about the time it takes when I see the signs of "gee, this isn't my favorite and I'd rather do more of this other and maybe if I just avoid this, mom will be nice and cut it out at the end anyways."

Math is timed unless it is a passion (spend so many minutes working on the workbook - my children love using a timer for this). Currently my science fan has a goal to learn Algebra so he can do Physical Science with his high school sister and he is flying through math. Yipee - if he actually gets there, he would guide the whole science study and be a huge plus in helping his science hating sis survive. And sis has begun editing his papers and teaching a bit of how to write in the process (she loves to write and he hates to write). Yipee, one less pull from me and it seems more natural and less intimidating from sis than from mom. I do make final suggestions, etc. but this is working so far.

The other thing that seems essential, is that I actually check math regularly (daily for those who hate it or those who are trying to fly ahead and as often as possible for everyone else but at least 2 times per week) and mark where the child has erred. We require corrections once I have checked the papers. For one thing, this tells me any concepts that need more explanation or more hands on work to solidify and it means the children that are racing either to be done or to move forward, learn that it is better to do it right and thouroughly the first time and not speed as careful work is a time saver in the long run. They even learn to try and write a bit more neatly so they can read their own numbers.

When my time is short (ie life demands limit how much time I can spend with the schooling things, I focus on the one or two areas of weakness in my correcting, discussing and oversight. The plans are there to help them forward on everything else, and I have learned that in areas of passion, they'll find me to tell me about it, they'll get me right away if they run out of books, they'll ask a question if they are stumped and they will learn regardless of what I do or don't get to. In areas of weakness, they tend to simply close the book and avoid the subject if they don't like it. If they don't like the subject and cannot find the book, then they tend to just do more in the passion and avoid the other - So I have to be on top of it. I also have to discuss more about how things are going as a poorly matched method or material is more likely to cause problems than in areas of passion. In areas of passion, it seems my children use whatever and it doesn't seem to matter cause they are going to find the answers, or find more interesting materials or ... whether I do or not - and they will ask for it if needed. If it isn't a passion area, they find the first stumbling block as an excuse to simply put the dreaded/hated subject aside. They can and do learn to like some subjects that are not their passion once I make them do a bit and they gain some competence.

We have a lot of informal discussions that fill me in on areas of their passion - and I'm finding myself actually enjoying being taught by them. I figure this is narration as formal narration hasn't worked much in our house and is impossible to do if I have to take down what 6 different people say. I'm using a bit more formal narration with one child who just seems to have a hard time with most things besides reading and doesn't like to talk much. It is working because I try to do it in seasons - we work intensely at it for a while and then he gets a break to let what he has learned solidify. I'm hoping this helps with deeper level understanding of literature and with getting his ideas on paper. He retells, while I write it and then takes this to write a summary. (Gleaned from the Hillside study guides - thank you for these wonderful resources!!!) I do use his passion of history as a jumping off point.

I guess I am pretty hands off once the plans are in place and then am more resource person, and consultant - though in areas of real weakness, I am more proactive. The children who are reading pretty much own their, really do own their schooling and learn to come to me when something isn't working, they don't understand something, etc. I review and discuss curriculum with them at least once per week per child (correcting or doing certain other things more regularly - depending on the child).

For the youngers and non-readers/beginning readers we have a Montessori flavor with very short seat time with me for the school age child. For everyone else, I try to make sure that we have plenty of time for this material and try to make sure there are hands on things that will reinforce other areas or goals - insets for geometry and botany which also reinforces handwriting skills. I have lots of practical life out and have been amazed at how much time my 7 year old will spend there - hopefully this will help him avoid some of the fine motor issues we contend with in other older children. These olders also receive presentations and use any material on the shelves. Some of my olders tend to use free time to either explore this room or to read from books of their choosing and we have had lots more outside time.

What do I call this - who knows. I guess real learning makes some sense in terms of that is my mantra and this is what is working in our house right now. I do have to rely on textbooks in areas that are both my weakness and my children's weakness - otherwise I simply wouldn't know what to do. I try to pick the best there is and supplement with other things we find - or if it works out, this may become an area where we hire in some additional help or gain support from a co-op if the rest of our life allows it. Currently I only have one tutor for my highschooler - in Latin (which she likes but needs guidance and someone to answer questions and I know absolutely nothing about it, plus foreign language seems best learned in more of a group setting). I do have a retired science teacher coming in for my nephew but she is here primarily for him, though the children do use her for occassional questions and they are invited to join in on any of my nephews science activities (she knows my weakness and is happy to include them) and we jump at this opportunity regardless of whether it dovetails with our current focus of studies or not.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Wow, guys -- I'm going to have to come back later this evening and really digest all your wonderful responses -- this is a great discussion! And Willa, I'm with you -- this is really forcing me to think what works and what doesn't -- and if it doesn't, why am I still doing it????

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Mary G wrote:
... this is really forcing me to think what works and what doesn't -- and if it doesn't, why am I still doing it????

Great question for all of us!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

nutmeg
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 22 2007 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote nutmeg

Hi all...
Even though I am starting my 4th year of home schooling,(mom to 5, 4 of whom are schooling... from 4th grade to Kindergarten) I am still a newbie to this forum and to the whole Waldorf method! Elizabeth has given me some things to read, and has promised we can chat sometime... so there's hope.

My question is... how do you know something is "not working" and it's not just your child's tendencies to be lazy? Because sometimes I think the only thing that would "work" around here is a perpetual game of soccer or dueling light saber games!!

Seriously, though. Kids are fallen creatures, just like us. They are not always going to want to learn. So, then what?

Thanks for your advice!!
Back to Top View nutmeg's Profile Search for other posts by nutmeg Visit nutmeg's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version