Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Hidden Treasure
 4Real Forums : Hidden Treasure
Subject Topic: can Hidden Treasure help? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 16 2007 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

I saw at a couple of blogs that some of the ladies are beginning or in the midst of the 33 day consecration --

Is there anything that we can do for you? Can we help?
Anyone interested in joining in?

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2007 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I am. Which blogs?
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Diane
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 12:22am | IP Logged Quote Diane

Helen wrote:
Is there anything that we can do for you? Can we help?

Actually, if you could come by and do some laundry, that would be really helpful.

I just finished Day 15 (Week 1, Day 3). I'm really enjoying the readings and finding so many little treasures there that speak to my heart. Today's was from True Devotion: in order to empty ourselves of self, we must die daily to ourselves. This involves our renouncing what the powers of the soul and the senses of the body incline us to do. Simple, I know, and so obvious, yet it is something I'm really struggling with lately.

I really feel like I'm being attacked in the area of self-discipline, that is, so tempted to do what I want rather than what I know I ought. Even more so than usual. I guess that's why it's called "dying" to self. It's painful. Painful and humiliating.

If I could ask anything of you, it would be to pray for me as I journey toward the renewal of my Consecration on Oct 7. I want to persevere in this with my whole heart, not just reading the words but letting them sink into my being. I long to embrace Mary fully and devote my life to her completely. I need her graces and her guidance and, most of all, her love.

Thanks for asking, Helen.

The Journey of a Mother's Heart
Back to Top View Diane's Profile Search for other posts by Diane Visit Diane's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote Helen

Sure Diane - I will keep you in prayer. I love the feast of the Holy Rosary (I also think of it as Our Lady of Victory) It is a beautiful day to renew your consecration.

Diane it is helpful to me if you periodically post something that strikes you from True Devotion. (Don't feel any pressure! Only if you read something that sticks with you and you would like to share it with others.)

Diane wrote:
I really feel like I'm being attacked in the area of self-discipline, that is, so tempted to do what I want rather than what I know I ought.

This is such a good sign Diane! At times like this, I try to think that I am on the right track and doing something good. Be encouraged by your struggles, they mean you are progressing.

Our Lady's words at Fatima are also very helpful to me. Offer with each sacrifice (and that would include each and every battle with temptation) the words:
For the love of God,
for the conversion of sinners,
and for sins against the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Margaret in MN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote Margaret in MN

Helen, thank you so much for starting this thread.

Prayers are certainly appreciated! Diane and I will be renewing our consecration on the same day.

For me, the detachment from my blog has been the hardest part thus far (surprise surprise). Though keeping up with the laundry is always a close second.

Another HUGE difficulty for me has been devotion to the scapular. I am extremely distracted by it whenever I try wear one, to the point where I can focus on little other than the "itch" of it, and I wonder if this discomfort is something I should just try to overcome. Is possible to be truly devoted to Mary without wearing a scapular?

Come for Coffee
Back to Top View Margaret in MN's Profile Search for other posts by Margaret in MN Visit Margaret in MN's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote Helen

Margaret in MN wrote:
Another HUGE difficulty for me has been devotion to the scapular. I am extremely distracted by it whenever I try wear one, to the point where I can focus on little other than the "itch" of it, and I wonder if this discomfort is something I should just try to overcome. Is possible to be truly devoted to Mary without wearing a scapular?

It took me YEARS to wear a Scapular consistently. I believe it is a grace to be able to wear one. It is truly a sign of devotion to Our Lady and of her protection. The scapular always bothered me (even still does) but try not to give up on the practice. Change styles, perhaps even make one yourself that will feel more comfortable.

I feel like I change mine often so that it doesn't bother me. I also wear it out (at home) in order for it not to have it bother me. (I'm afraid it ends up out of my clothes frequently.)

Hanging a rather heavy Miraculous medal (or other medal) helps to weigh the Scapular down and make it more comfortable.

The most comfortable one I ever had was a hand made one from the Franciscans of the Immaculate. I believe the cording was folded bias tape.

I've heard the priests at the friary link the Scapular to modesty. In a very practical way, the Scapular helps women to dress modestly. Clothes that make you want to remove your scapular should be reconsidered!

I'm happy to pray for you as well Margaret -- you choose a wonderful feast day.

Margaret in MN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote Margaret in MN

Helen wrote:
It took me YEARS to wear a Scapular consistently.

This was very encouraging for me to read. I tend to be an "all or nothing" type of person, as in, I have been a failure in wearing a scapular in the past and therefore I will always be a failure at wearing the scapular.

The advice about wearing the scapular on the outside of my clothes at home is also helpful. I would receive the grace and protection from it at the same time that my children would be watching me persevere in wearing it.

Come for Coffee
Back to Top View Margaret in MN's Profile Search for other posts by Margaret in MN Visit Margaret in MN's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Margaret in MN wrote:

Practical side.....maybe you are allergic to the wool? Take old scapulars and sew them into your clothing. May sound odd, but I do it for my babies.

Just a thought.....I may be totally missing your point.

Ave MAria!
Molly
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2007 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

It really helps to tie knots 1/4 or so of the way up on each side, so they don't flop/slide around so much. I wear mine on top/outside my bra so it doesn't scratch.

You could also consider wearing a medal for OL Mt Carmel or whatever. (If you have a spiritual director who you want to okay that with, that's good too.) With nursing, hot flashes, night sweats and so on that women have to deal with, I think that is a sufficient reason. Also, I'd be wearing 3 scapulars!!! if I had them all in wool, so I have 2 as medals.

blessings,
CK
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

DeAnn M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 13 2007 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote DeAnn M

Hi Ladies,

I know this is an older post...I'm still new at this so I hope this is O.K. I could use some prayers/advice as well. My husband and I did the Consecration this year, ending on the Feast of the Assumption-also, my birthday.

Since then I have felt completely lost and undisciplined, from school, to housework, to eating well...you name it. Until now I had never really thought of it as an attack. Also, We are converts so I had just assumed I had done something wrong. What do I do now? True devotion is an awesome book, but I feel a little lost in what to do with the whole consecration/devotion on a daily basis. Any suggestions or advice?

God Bless,
DeAnn

P.S. Scapulars...do you have to go to a special ceremony in order to wear them and receive the graces? I have often wanted to wear one for a visual, physical reminder but I don't know the protocol. I gave away my "Catholicism for Dummies" Book.
Back to Top View DeAnn M's Profile Search for other posts by DeAnn M

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote Helen

DeAnn M wrote:
I know this is an older post...I'm still new at this so I hope this is O.K. I could use some prayers/advice as well. My husband and I did the Consecration this year, ending on the Feast of the Assumption-also, my birthday.   

Congratulations DeAnn!

DeAnn M wrote:

Since then I have felt completely lost and undisciplined, from school, to housework, to eating well...you name it. Until now I had never really thought of it as an attack. Also, We are converts so I had just assumed I had done something wrong. What do I do now? True devotion is an awesome book, but I feel a little lost in what to do with the whole consecration/devotion on a daily basis. Any suggestions or advice?

DeAnn, this is a great place to ask this question. The question itself is so valuable that I thought it would be wonderful to have a thread dedicated to living consecration/devotion on a daily basis. I’m going to take this part of your post to a new thread. It also might help draw the attention of those who would like to answer if they see the question in the subject line.

DeAnn M wrote:

P.S. Scapulars...do you have to go to a special ceremony in order to wear them and receive the graces? I have often wanted to wear one for a visual, physical reminder but I don't know the protocol. I gave away my "Catholicism for Dummies" Book.   

Yes DeAnn, usually a priest would invest you with the Scapular. But, I wouldn’t let that stop you from wearing a Scapular. Can you ask a priest in your parish to “invest” you in the Scapular?

I did a search for Scapular Investiture ceremony and came up with this website: Sisters of Carmel.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

DeAnn M wrote:
My husband and I did the Consecration this year, ending on the Feast of the Assumption-also, my birthday.

Since then I have felt completely lost and undisciplined, from school, to housework, to eating well...you name it. Until now I had never really thought of it as an attack.

I never quite finished the preparation last spring and so missed the Consecration on Pentecost. I have begun again.

DeAnn, what you said came to mind when I was reading from Imitation of Christ the other day (from Chapter 13): "(2) Yet temptations are often very profitable to a man, although they be troublesom and grievous, for in them a man is humbled, purified, and instructed... (5) Some suffer great temptations in the beginning of their conversion, and some in the end. And some there are who are much troubled, in a manner, all their lifetime. Some are but lightly tempted, according to the wisdom and equity of the ordinance of God, who weighs the state and merits of men, and pre-ordains all for the salvation of the elect. (6) We must not, therefore, despair when we are tempted, but pray to God with so much the more fervor that He may vouchsafe to help us in all tribulations..."

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I'll add that I'd love prayers from all of you! I am only on the 11th day of the preparation, because I keep slipping. I'd love to make it this time, so prayers for perseverance and patience would be appreciated!

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Margaret in MN wrote:
Another HUGE difficulty for me has been devotion to the scapular. I am extremely distracted by it whenever I try wear one, to the point where I can focus on little other than the "itch" of it, and I wonder if this discomfort is something I should just try to overcome.

As a child the plastic wrapped around the scapular always irritated my skin and left scratches. Then someone in our family gave my mother and grandmother silver 'scapular cases' (bought in Europe). It's like a regular necklace with a locket-type part in front and in back. They have the images of Our Lady with the Christ Child on one end and an image of the Sacred Heart on the other. My mother had it copied for me. The scapular cloth is contained inside the lockets. (It is similar to this one only each side is a case which contains the brown scapular inside.) I now never take it off and it doesn't itch. I have a couple of relics attached to mine, and the "jingle" as I walk around the house is a small reminder to remember Our Lady.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version