Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Our Blessed Mother's Birthday party Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
glinNC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote glinNC

Have you ever had a group party to celebrate the birth of Mary? If so, what activities have you done with the children?

I am using a few ideas from CHC's "It's A Mystery! The Secret Garden" such as the Rosary Race (relay race which involves putting cards of the mysteries of the Rosary in order), playing a game using the names of Mary, and playing a chain-breaker game. (All of Mary's children stick together. Half the kids would interlock arms at the elbows and try not to let the other kids break them apart -- using a water squirter or tempting them with goodies!)

I am also going to have the kids make a Miraculous Medal (as seen in CHC's Year with God).

Now I am trying to think of some game that the kids could do that could "stomp the snake," which would represent Satan. I would also like to incorporate a game that would involve a crown.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Please share any ideas you may have! Thanks!
Back to Top View glinNC's Profile Search for other posts by glinNC

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

I don't have any games ideas, but our homeschool group is having a picnic. The special centerpiece will be a cupcake rosary arranged on a table. A local parish has a traveling Mary statue for us to place in the center along with a journal to write about where she went etc...i think the cupcake rosary will be a big hit. The games you described sound great. For a crown game maybe you could play a version of the "Who's got the penny?" game where the kids pass around a tiny crown and then hide it when the music stops. Then another child who has been blindfolded has to guess who has it.

Be sure to check in after the party and let us know how it goes.

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Oh, I LOVE these ideas!

I made a cupcake Rosary last year, mini cupcakes for the Hail Mary beads, regular sized ones for the our Father...it turned out beautifully!

How about making a paper bag pinata with a Serpent on it, and decorating the "beating" stick with circle stickers to signify the Rosary? Or a rousing game of Blessed Mother May I, with the Blessed Mother wearing the crown? Or you can use two crowns, put the kids in two teams with two snake pictures on the ground about 25 feet in front of each team..they could have a relay race, the first person puts on the crown runs toward the snake image, stomps on it, runs back to their team, gives the crown to the next person on their team and so on until all members of the team get to "stomp" on the serpent's head.

HTH! Have fun!!!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

glinNC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote glinNC

MaryMary wrote:
Oh, I LOVE these ideas!

How about making a paper bag pinata with a Serpent on it, and decorating the "beating" stick with circle stickers to signify the Rosary? Or a rousing game of Blessed Mother May I, with the Blessed Mother wearing the crown? Or you can use two crowns, put the kids in two teams with two snake pictures on the ground about 25 feet in front of each team..they could have a relay race, the first person puts on the crown runs toward the snake image, stomps on it, runs back to their team, gives the crown to the next person on their team and so on until all members of the team get to "stomp" on the serpent's head.

HTH! Have fun!!!

The relay race sounds JUST what the kids would love to do!!

I thought of something since posting ... have the boys bring toy snakes, the girls bring crowns. I'd have the kids stand in a circle, then have the boys toss their snakes into the center of the circle. The girls would have to try to grab one before the boys got in there to find their snake. But, I think it might get to crazy!    Or somebody might get hurt!   

Keep the thoughts coming!   

glinNC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 07 2007 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote glinNC

onemoretracy wrote:

Be sure to check in after the party and let us know how it goes.

OK, here I am checking back in to let you know that the party was a lot of fun!

We made the Miraculous Medal craft from CHC's "A Year with God." We also played "Stomp the Serpent," a relay race, as suggested. Thanks for that great idea!

We also played a game where the girls brought in a crown and the boys brought in a snake. They stood in a circle, holding their crown/snake. Then we recited the "Hail Mary" in increments. At each pause, they were to pass whatever they were holding to the person to the left. By the end of the prayer, after the "Amen," whoever was left with a crown won! :-)   

We sung "Happy Birthday" to Mary, letting a girl in our group named Mary blow out the candle.

Each family brought in presents for Mary, which were baby items needed by a local pregnancy center.

I think the kids had a lot of fun celebrating Our Blessed Mother's birthday today as a group! :-)

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2007 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

We are celebrating today, Sunday, due to a crazy Sat. of baseball, soccer, work schedules, mini-emergency, etc. Anyway, I am going to make a brownie ice cream cake for Mary's birthday celebration - brownie on the bottom layer topped with homemade vanilla ice cream in which I will add some blue food coloring. Homemade ice cream is soft and easy to spread.

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 02 2014 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The feast of Mary's nativity is just around the corner - next week Sept. 8. A friend was asking me yesterday for ideas for games for a party. I remembered this thread and came here to reread so I could share those ideas with her. Then in brainstorming came up with some more to add to the thread.

I really like the connection to the Holy Names of Mary mentioned above - that feast is later in this same week (Sept. 12) so is a natural tie-in. A game with the names could be a memory or matching card game.

Since it is a "birthday" any common birthday games (with a Mary twist) would be fun.

I thought for younger kids that "Pin the crescent (or serpent)" under Mary's feet could be a variation of pin the tail on the donkey.

Variation of Musical Chairs. Signs on chairs have different names of Mary. When music (Marian hymn) stops everyone sits down. Call out name of Mary - whoever has that name comes out of game but gets a prize (Mary holy card, plastic rosary, Miraculous medal???). Doesn't have to be on chairs, could be paper "stepping stones" on floor.

Simon Says - "Mary Says"

Memory Tray - have a tray with lots of Marian themed items. Have them look at it, then hide it and they try to remember and write down as many items as they can. Variation: Or remove one items and everyone tries to figure out what was removed.

Hot or Cold - One at a time children leave room. While student is gone, hide a small Marian statue. When child returns he tries to find the statue. The onlookers tell the child whether he’s hot or cold (near or far from the statue).

The idea was mentioned in a different thread about having everyone sing happy birthday and laying a flower at base of Mary statue. An above post mentioned bringing a baby item to donate to a pregnancy center. I think combining those ideas would be fun - Have each family bring a baby present for Mary, which would be baby items needed by a local pregnancy center. The children sing happy birthday and lay the present before the statue. Then donate them to a center in your area.

And finally a link to the other threads on this topic. Such a fun feast to celebrate!
Birthday of Mary
Mama Mary's Birthday
Nativity of the Blessed Mother

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version