Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: October plans Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

In my house, late September and early October are one huge week of feasting. But I realized that I let my October plans spill into the September thread. Here is my early October list. And we can add as we go:

October 1 Feast of St. Therese (Katie's name is actually Kirsten Therese and Karoline's middle name is "Rose" because she is the answer to a St. Therese Rose Novena.:
Michael is Katie's godfather and he always brings her sweetheart roses ("little flowers"). We bake a white cake and decorate it with edible sugared roses. We serve some sort of herbal tea with rose hips. We always pray the rose novena. This year, my Our Lady of Guadalupe roses have been amazing. I've been drying them to make sachets on October 1.

October 2nd Guardian Angels' feast and Patrick's birthday: Angel food cake for the guardian angels, topped with chocolate mousse because Patrick loves it.

October 4 St. Francis' feast and Karoline's birthday: this is new combination for me. I'm still thinking. But this is the Septmember thread, anyway, isn't it?
[/QUOTE]

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

For Sweet Karoline's birthday, you could do an animal themed celebration and explore face painting (animal faces of course). We did that one year for my kids. I want to try to make animal masks this year but if we don't I'll be doing the face painting again.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

October 5th is my birthday so I nearly always get to go the the Virginia Fall Fiber Festival.... but that is not really helpful is it?
For the 2nd, I have 'make angel whispers' from one of the liturgical books but I forget which, and 'make calligraphic Guardian Angel prayer for over the bed'... I was thinking maybe some artwork decorating it by the kids
Since the 4th is St. Francis, there is the Tomie de Paola book to read (Thank you for introducing him to me).
I also noted that the 7th is Our Lady of the Rosary... which I thought could lead to a week of attempting the rosary with the kids, and I liked the idea of the cut out rosary shown here, to work with the kids.
For St. Luke on the 18th I have 'make Christmas cards with Lucan quotes' which I believe came from the Catholic Culture website.
Then we have the All hallows/All Saints/All Souls celebrations at the end of the month/beginning of November. I am still working on those.

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

~Rachel~ wrote:
October 5th is my birthday so I nearly always get to go the the Virginia Fall Fiber Festival.... but that is not really helpful is it?

Ooooh, this is the first I've heard of this, Rachel! I wish I could go. I'd have to get a doctor's clearance, but SOOO tempting. Maybe next year.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Matilda wrote:
For Sweet Karoline's birthday, you could do an animal themed celebration and explore face painting (animal faces of course). We did that one year for my kids. I want to try to make animal masks this year but if we don't I'll be doing the face painting again.

Ooohhh, maybe I need some of those Lyra theatrical pencils after all...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth wrote:
Matilda wrote:

Ooohhh, maybe I need some of those Lyra theatrical pencils after all...

I was thinking the same thing -- Aha! A reason to get those theatrical pencils. They are so tempting!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Elizabeth wrote:

October 1 Feast of St. Therese (Katie's name is actually Kirsten Therese and Karoline's middle name is "Rose" because she is the answer to a St. Therese Rose Novena.:
Michael is Katie's godfather and he always brings her sweetheart roses ("little flowers"). We bake a white cake and decorate it with edible sugared roses. We serve some sort of herbal tea with rose hips. We always pray the rose novena. This year, my Our Lady of Guadalupe roses have been amazing. I've been drying them to make sachets on October 1.

I love it! We're naming our baby after St. Therese. I also recieved a rose from the same novena. We also have an abundance of the Our Lady of Guadalupe roses. I'm not very creative, so I really appreciate these wonderful ideas.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

JennGM wrote:
~Rachel~ wrote:

Ooooh, this is the first I've heard of this, Rachel! I wish I could go. I'd have to get a doctor's clearance, but SOOO tempting. Maybe next year.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you just in case, but yes, it is always there next year

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Elizabeth wrote:

[COLOR=green] Michael is Katie's godfather and he always brings her sweetheart roses ("little flowers"). We bake a white cake and decorate it with edible sugared roses. We serve some sort of herbal tea with rose hips. We always pray the rose novena. This year, my Our Lady
[/QUOTE]

Elizabeth - I have been looking for edible sugared roses. Do you make them or buy them? Please let me know where from if you buy the. Saint Therese is Abby's patron saint and I looked everywhere for roses last year for our cake. (my cake decorating skills are non existent!)

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Marilyn,
If you are growing roses, you can make them now while the roses are in bloom and freeze them for later.

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Marilyn,

Do you ever get to Wegman's? They have a HUGE candy aisle, last year (I think around St. Valentine's Day) they had candy flowers. I will check next time I am there and see if they have them now.
You might be able to find chocolate coins there also, they are big right now because Pirates are big. I am pretty sure I saw chocolate coins at World Market.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Elizabeth,
A long time ago, I listened to a cassette tape where Steven Wood's wife shared an idea for the feast of St. Francis. Strew lots of stuffed animals on the breakfast table that morning. Simple, and I'm sure Karoline will love it. :)

Perhaps even have a stuffed animal set at each table setting.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 01 2007 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Cay,

This is SO cute! I love this idea. The 4th is my dds birthday too, although she is turing 17, but she is a huge stuffed animal fan. This will be a great surprise! Thank you for the great idea!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

jennthmg
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote jennthmg

Hi all, I have been a lurker for quite a while. I found these boxes and thought they would be perfect for putting saint lessons/holy days of obl. in for each month and pretty enough that I can leave them out for decor among my book shelves. I think this is an organization method that just may work for us! (Holy Days just get away from me as far as lessons)

~Rachel~ wrote:
For the 2nd, I have 'make angel whispers' from one of the liturgical books but I forget which.

Rachel, what are angel whispers?
Jenn
http://myhomeschool101.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View jennthmg's Profile Search for other posts by jennthmg

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2007 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

Did you mean these boxes, Jenn? The ones you linked to are teeny tiny...just big enough for a little Sculpey Clay symbol. The Feast Day boxes are CD storage box size. They'd probably work better.

I'm thankful that you found it helpful.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

jennthmg
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 03 2007 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote jennthmg

Thanks, Katherine. I'm actually looking for boxes that I can fit 8 1/2 x 11 books in. (Well, I'm in my last third of another difficult pregnancy, so I have friends scouring stores for boxes that I can do this with.) I LOVE your blog, btw. It was the impetus to my finally joining this group and getting excited about school this year!

Jenn
http://myhomeschool101.blogspot.com
Back to Top View jennthmg's Profile Search for other posts by jennthmg

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2007 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

Thanks be to God, Jenn. And I know you'll find much inspiration from these wonderful ladies.

Prayers for you and your new little one during these final weeks of pregnancy.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

jennthmg wrote:

~Rachel~ wrote:
For the 2nd, I have 'make angel whispers' from one of the liturgical books but I forget which.

Rachel, what are angel whispers?
Jenn

From Joanna Bogle's A Book of Feasts and Seasons. I am assuming it is a cookie recipe . DH doesn't like angel cake...
I am not linking her book because she has a brand new one coming out and you can see it halfway down this page.

Lighting a Fire

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2007 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

An idea for October 25--Martyrs of England and Wales, incl. Edmund Campion.

We bought some red and white tulip bulbs, which we'll plant/"bury" on that feast day. White for purity, red for martyrdom, and talk about the resurrection that will happen in the Eternal spring, just like these flowers will come to life again in spring.

There is also St. Nicholas Postgate, a martyred priest, who (before his martyrdom) planted Daffodills all over England. He's in More Once Upon a time Saints. This would be a great day to plant those bulbs in his honor.

I love the help I'm getting with these ideas!    Thank you all!

ck
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 12 2007 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Great idea CK...how nice to not keep worrying about when I'll plant my bulbs...now I have a great date to plan for it!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version