Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Feast of the Assumption Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 07 2005 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Any great ideas for celebrating the Feast of the Assumption?

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2005 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

When I was growing up, we *always* went to the beach on the Feast of the Assumption, because my mother taught that there was "a cure in the water" on that day. This was a tradition brought from Ireland, and I have not met many who still know about it, although I found a passing reference to it in this article from EWTN's Document Library. This year, I am planning to bring my children for a dip in the salt water.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Aug 08 2005 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

alicegunther wrote:
This year, I am planning to bring my children for a dip in the salt water.

I know a beach you can go to...

Here are some suggested activities.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 08 2005 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

alicegunther wrote:
When I was growing up, we *always* went to the beach on the Feast of the Assumption, because my mother taught that there was "a cure in the water" on that day. This was a tradition brought from Ireland, and I have not met many who still know about it, although I found a passing reference to it in this article from EWTN's Document Library. This year, I am planning to bring my children for a dip in the salt water.

Interesting, Alice. I found a few items of interest that clarifies but also muddles your family's tradition!

Is your mother from New Jersey, by any chance? You said Irish, but this is somewhat of an Italian tradition. Along the Jersey shore, churches have what they call "Wedding and Blessing of the Sea" (this is in Atlantic City or "Blessing of the Waters" on some of the other beaches. I've gone to Ocean City, NJ for their annual Blessing. The priest comes from procession onto the beach, and in a rowboat goes a little into the water on the beach. He blesses the waters, then throws a wreath onto the waters. The lifeguards are involved in the little ceremony, also.

Now, what I've found on "Blessing of the Waters" that is is actually a tradition on Epiphany. From the Catholic Encyclopedia describes the tradition, particularly in the Greek Church. I like this quote: "To this day, the blessing of the waters by the dipping into river, sea, or lake of a crucifix, and by other complicated ritual, is a most popular ceremony."

But searching for just "Blessing of the Waters" I found different cities have a different day for this ceremony. I found references in England and Italy, etc. Another name that I found dozens of references is the "Blessing of the Sea." Some places in Ireland have the Blessing in August, although some towns have it on other days. It's also tied in with Rogation Days and Ascension Thursday in some places.

I have yet to find the actual ritual...the Roman Ritual was updated recently and this was not included. I just wonder if the priests are using an older form and I would love to see the text. I remember hearing it on the beach in Ocean City and it was so moving....and the visual of the vast, loud, strong ocean with people thanking God for His blessing of the ocean for the community and asking Him to watch over them. Only God's power is stronger than the ocean!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 08 2005 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Hmmm...In Italy, there are processions in many towns, especially in the south. Communities carry a statue of the Blessed Mother from one point (usually a pilgrimage spot) to a church and then have Mass. I assume (knowing Italians) that there would be lots of eating afterward.

However, the reality of Ferragosto (Aug. 15) in Italy is that it is the day ALL of Italy departs for their summer vacation trips...at the same time. The traffic is horrendous. So, in spite of all the interesting processions, we traditionally stayed home on August 15.

This year we'll be in Indiana, and I'm hoping to take my Methodist friend to Eucharistic adoration (she's wanted to do this for a long time).

I think it's important to make this feast day special in some way, especially in the USA, where the "holy day" aspect of so many feast days only pops up when the feast day isn't next to a Saturday or Sunday.

What about a family procession or rosary time, or bringing flowers into your home to place before a Marian statue or picture? Another idea would be to listen to some Marian hymns (we don't sing as many as we used to in our parish...or the last 3 parishes...); this could be part of prayer time or in the car en route to the beach . Last week I heard Dr. Tim O'Donnell (Christendom College's president and my former high school theology teacher, way back when) speak; he had a lot to say about our Catholic heritage (Latin, Gregorian chant) and how this heritage forms a common ground for Catholics around the world. This got me thinking about listening to more Catholic music with my children.

OK...my mind is truly wandering now...great thread, though!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 08 2005 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

The feast of the Assumption is the one of the "harvest feasts." The blessings that are traditional on this feastday are the blessing of Herbs, wheat, flowers and grapes, depending on what area you live.

Florence Berger in Cooking for Christ describes the Blessing of Herbs for August 15. This is one of my favorite sections...mostly because it aptly describes how feast day celebrations are done in my house. The mad dash: "Feast day, TOMORROW? (sometimes, TODAY)??? I haven't done a thing!"

For more information, try Catholic Culture for recipes and ideas and further reading on these blessings.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 08 2005 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

jenngm wrote:
Interesting, Alice. I found a few items of interest that clarifies but also muddles your family's tradition!

Is your mother from New Jersey, by any chance? You said Irish, but this is somewhat of an Italian tradition.

No, my mother grew up in New York City, although my grandfather used to spend summers in New Jersey as a boy. Here is a poem written by an Irish-American Catholic priest about the "tradition prevalent in some Catholic cultures that the waters were especially blessed on the Feast of the Assumption." Scroll down to the last poem, Cure in the Water, Feast of the Assumption, 1924. Quincy Bay, mentioned in the poem, is in Massachusetts, but was heavily populated with Irish immigrants (among others) who came there to work in the quarries in the mid to late 19th Century.

Thanks for the interesting history, Jenn!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 08 2005 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, more on Assumption and the Blessing of Fruits and Herbs. There is a First Fruits Festival which the family could do on a smaller scale.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 08 2005 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

The Eastern Rite and Orthodox churches refer to the Assumption as the "Dormition of Mary" or the Falling Asleep in the Lord. This is a great feast day in Greece. I found one reference saying that the feast is sometimes affectionately referred to as "Pascha of the summer" (referring to the feast of the Resurrection being called Pascha). I just get amazed on how much reverence and honor is given to Mary in the Eastern churches...

Anyway, I was thinking of pulling some Greek or Eastern recipes (Ukrainian, etc.) for this feast. Strange connection, I know... and then have some prayers or quotes about the Dormition. On EWTN's Rosary in the Holy Land with Father Pacwa the last two glorious mysteries are filmed in the Church of the Dormition.

The recipes I was thinking are just simple "cool" ones like Greek salad, or using tzatziki (cucumber and dill yogurt dip) or for breakfast this Greek style yogurt. It's too hot to cook!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version