Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Latin credits Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Can someone tell me about Latin credits for college? My understanding is they need 2 years of any foreign language. Dd has decided to do Latin. She struggled through LC II. That is being counted as an intro to Latin or a first year Latin. (she is enrolled with SEton) THey have put her in Henle II (because they say she needs a 2nd year credit not another first year course) Upon receiving the books we noticed that there is no way she can do Henle II. Most of the stuff in Henle I was not covered in LC II and she can't do both Henle I and II, which is what they recommended at Seton when I called them yesterday! I called again today and they said to call all of the colleges she might be interested in and see if they would accept those 2 (LC II and Henle I) as 2 credits. I am so frustrated. We have struggled so much with Latin and now we have run into this problem. I would never have enrolled her fully with Seton if I knew this would be a problem. We would lose a significant amount of money if we backed out now and she does want to graduate in May.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Could she duel enroll at the college in Latin I (that way she gets it from the starting point instead of being set up for failure). (Or just leave Latin I on the transcript and duel enroll in whatever other language she wants) That is generally covered in a semester - but you have a real live teacher which makes Latin a lot more fun - and much more efficient to learn. Then semester II, she can take Latin II and not only is she done with her high school language requirements, but she has her core language requirements done for college, too. Just an idea. I'd find some way around Seton's thing about putting her in Henle Latin II without Latin I - that is plain crazy.

If she is duel enrolling - Seton won't flinch.

The other option is to find a text you think she will do well with, make it Latin II and submit an independent study course. We did this with Spanish with them - using their same books but using a live teacher who graded what she taught where I didn't have to second guess the mistakes in the answer key and try and figure out how to help in a language I knew nothing about.

These are just some ideas.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 1:26am | IP Logged Quote Willa

I like Janet's suggestions -- but I was thinking that possibly she could go through Henle 1 at an accelerated pace.   Some of the exercises are marked "Essential" and my oldest got to the point where he just did those ones and skipped the rest. Since your daughter has been through LC2 she might be able to keep that pace, or perhaps do extra exercises only in the parts where she feels she needs extra practice.

In my understanding, Henle 1 is two years worth of high school language.    I believe Mother of Divine Grace counts it that way and that is how I counted it for my son.   If your daughter is counting LC2 as one year of Latin, then finishing Henle 1 would seem appropriate for a 2nd year (IMO).

ETA:   It just occured to me that many high school language classes include some cultural information and things like that.    You could supplement and enrich Henle by adding a bit of culture-related reading or possibly reading some of the Latin primers online.   My oldest wrote stories and poems in Latin.   There is any amount of enrichment Latin material on the web; possibly taking the national Latin exam might also help fill out her transcript.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote 5athome

I wouldn't let foreign language derail your Seton study -- I think the colleges will recognize the strong English program your daughter mastered. Looking into a few of the colleges we are considering, the foreign language requirement is not a mandatory 2 yr requirement or you can't be admitted. I would think most schools would see the LC2 & Henle 1 as more than acceptable.

ds '08
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote Macmom

LC is in no way comparable to high school level Latin. It's just a cute little intro course, good for elementary school-aged kids.

How old is your daughter (ie: how much time does she have left to get the 2 years of Latin under her belt before college?)

Peace,
Macmom

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

She is a senior. I was told by MODG (we were enrolled in 9th grade) that they count LC II as an intro. to Latin and one year of high school Latin credit. IF it is just a cute little Latin course we are in for trouble. LC I was easy but LC II was hard for us.

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote Macmom

I meant LC I is just a cute little Latin course. I never used LC II. But I don't see where it could be comparable to Henle or Wheelock, Artes Latinae, or even the 3 years of Latin Road to English Grammar. All of those are much more intense, introducing all 5 declensions, 4 conjugations and the SCADS of tenses for each verb, etc.

Can you get her into a community college level language class? Usually a year of college level Latin (or Spanish, or whatever) will count as 2 years of high school level language. And she have a knowledgeable teacher to guide her through it, and ample practice speaking and reading.

Barring that, how about a Latin tutor?

For your younger kids, I would recommend "The Latin Road to English Grammar" so you don't have to face this again, just before the graduation deadline! The curriculum is fairly self teaching if you start in 7th grade, and finish the 3rd year in 9th grade (3 years of LRTEG count as 2 years of high school Latin, so we arrange it so that 3rd year is finished in high school.)

Good luck!

Macmom

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Thought I would update so it might help anyone. I called Christendom to see what their requirements were for foreign language. They said they have no requirements---only recommendations and what dd is doing would be fine. LC II and Henle I can count as 2 years of Latin and Seton said they would count that. I am so relieved.

LH
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 16 2007 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote LH

[QUOTE=Macmom] LC is in no way comparable to high school level Latin. It's just a cute little intro course, good for elementary school-aged kids. /QUOTE]

I agree.
Henle FY entire books is two years of Latin.
My student is doing Henle now.
Back to Top View LH's Profile Search for other posts by LH

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

This is a little late but I spoke with Martin Cochran at Memoria Press once about this & he said the whole Carnegie credit system that we're used to is really becoming out of vogue with the advent of homeschooling. Memoria Press' Henle courses which cover much less material but go more deeply (i.e. more practice & over-memorization), are worth the same amount of credits as the MODG, Seton & Kolbe courses since they essentially cover the same amount of hours.

Hope that makes sense!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version