Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Nurturing Beauty Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I have a minute before we leave for a day of art...not fine art as some of you have mentioned, but what I would call "realism" art. It's all fun and good and the kids will get a "hands-on" education. It's all good.

I want so badly to go back and highlight what some of you have so eloquently commented on and I'm hoping, in spite of myself, to do that soon. In the meantime, here is a thought of mine that I blogged on many moons ago:

"In Joseph Pearce's introduction of Literary Giants, Literary Catholics, he challenges us to sharpen our swords and cultivate the culture in which we live. '(In the days of Campion and Southwell), the Catholic faith was illegal. Today, in our own darkened age, it is no longer illegal but is considered illegitimate. It is however, in the very midst of this darkness that beauty enlightens the gloom. Great art. Great music. Great literature. They are all great weapons.'
     "Thornton Wilder, in The Bridge of San Luis Rey, empowers this when referencing one character’s reception of letters from another character, '...he had extracted all their richness and the intention, missing (as most readers do) the whole purport of literature, which is the notation of the heart.'
     "There is the immediate answer. Literature is the notation of the heart. Beauty is a notation of the heart. There is an example of this in the Civil War-era movie, Cold Mountain starring Nicole Kidman and Renee Zellweger. The two women characters portrayed by Nicole and Renee are building a fence, trying to do a man's work of repairs around the farm. Nicole begins lamenting that this is the first constructive thing she's ever done in her life. Before the war, she only knew French and hand-embroidery and piano, but this was the first thing she has ever done that made a difference. The other accomplishments of her life no longer matter in the culture-of-war she now lives in.
     "For some reason that gave me pause. What have I done in my lifetime that has made a difference? And what is it about patching a fence on a farm that is so much more constructive than speaking French, embroidering a picture, or playing the piano? Does patching a fence with one’s hands have more substance than playing the piano with one’s hands?   Does having a career and prestige have more substance than the work one does within the home and the imprint left upon their child’s childhood?
     "Classical education and a liberal arts education fell out of favor in America during the impoverished days of the Civil War. Suddenly a classical education no longer mattered. Art didn't feed a hungry baby. Poetry did not feed a houseful of people. Speaking French did not stop the carpetbaggers from taking over your farm. Embroidering a shirt did not matter if there were no shoes to wear through the winter.
     "Sounds harsh? Life is sometimes harsh. But stay with me...
     "Families needed hands that knew how to work a farm. They needed hands that knew how to sew a dress out of a curtain and make new harnesses. They needed minds that could bargain for supplies and handle the frugality of money without wasting it. They needed strong backs that could plow a field, repair a fence, plant a garden, or work a trade. They needed sharp minds that could alter figures so the carpetbaggers could not make claim to the family farm. Classics and liberal arts held nothing for the common man. Nothing at all except perhaps, memories and dreams that were gone with the wind.
     "Yet there is a redemptive scene in Cold Mountain immediately following the farm scene: it is night and only the candles near the piano burns. Nicole's character is playing a beautiful piece on the ivories and Renee's character (a harsh, hillbilly, redneck of a woman) silently witnesses the melody from the recesses of the stairwell. Silently, and ever so gently, she begins to sway back-and-forth, back-and-forth. She closes her eyes and continues to sway; the music plays on. The moment is solemn; the moment brings calm to the troubled heart and peace to the troubled soul. As rough as Renee’s character is, a burr falls away. A soul is laid bare. A notation is made upon the heart. Nicole's art has made a difference.
     "The achieved moment brings hope for a better tomorrow. Hands can be used to mend fences and feed our families. Hands can also be used to write beauty and feed the souls of our families. Ultimately, literature and art is simply putting into words what touches our hearts and minds. Perhaps that is the greatest weapon of all. It always was, and it always will be. How do we know? Because the Bible tells us so… 'In the beginning was the Word,...and the word was God.' (John 1:1)
    "Beauty, whether through art, music, books, etc. is always the notation of one heart to another. Always."

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Diane
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote Diane

Wow, Cay. Beautiful thoughts, beautifully written. Thank you.

The Journey of a Mother's Heart
Back to Top View Diane's Profile Search for other posts by Diane Visit Diane's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Cay,
This is an amazing quote, and an interesting window into history.

"Notation on the heart..."

Looking forward to hearing more!
CK
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Ooo....this topic really resonates with me right now. My life has been so stressful lately. My dh's heart condition has become very unstable and we are going to the hospital every 2-3 weeks, unplanned, to help stabilize him. So, as a result, we are now traveling with him for his work any time he has an overnight trip (which could be every week). This wreaks havoc into "my schedule" or plan of leisure routine and flow to my day, with leisurely tea times, etc... But God knows better.

I also realize that this traveling can be a good thing too. Miami, Fl is becoming so devoid of nature and of beauty. We are soo overcrowded. Very few take any pride in their home, yards, personal appearance, there's trash everywhere.   So, we try to take advantage of visiting places of beauty wherever we go (which is mostly southern half of FL).

With this hectic pace, though, I feel like convenience is the rule. I have CFIDS on top of this all, and very little energy. Right now it's manageable so this means I can make it to the end of the day with just ordinary homeschooling/housekeeping. But my soul is starving for beauty.

True, God inspired beauty elevates our minds and hearts to rise above our circumstances. It can cause us to rise above our more fleshly tendencies and help refine us. How I long for this.

I have a running list of artwork I'd like to hang on my walls, but doctor bills take precedence. I may start splurging on flowers for the dinner table, though. I am playing more classical music during the day and enjoying that.

If money is tight, and circumstances are stressful, what are some easy, low stress ways to incorporate beauty into our days? I get so discouraged when the house starts looking a mess, but it seems like I either have a great homeschooling day or a great housekeeping day, and this is despite us all doing chores. I'd love to find a way to incorporate beauty even when the house is less than "beautiful". I will eagerly await your ideas!

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

For me lately, with the long summer days (reads- lack of routine ), having dinner on the table at a reasonable hour with a candle lit or a bouquet out of our garden (usually compliments of my daughter) and set nicely, has been my contribution to our home beauty.

I also decluttered our living room and dining room, which are our main learning/living spaces, and used some second hand wool woven placemats to place under lamps, printers etc. to spruce up the more than gently used furniture.

Buying calenders in January (75% off)is another way we add some beauty into our lives- we buy a new artist, or a collection and then feel free to sticky tac nicely cut out months in places around the house. Right now I have a Van Gogh above the craft shelf, and a Rembrandt in the bathroom!

When I decluttered the dining room I also took down some of the kids old artwork, and have a little clothesline on the one wall where I hang any new artwork.

I also like stacks of books as art!! We have so many, why not stack them artistically on top of bookshelves etc!!

We also don't seem to be able to pull of the housekeeping and homeschooling greats on the same days either.....

Prayers for your husband and your family.

Kristie

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

AnaB, since you are traveling with your dh, could you check out the towns you're visiting and see if they have any great art museums (or even just NICE art museums!) that you and the children could visit while dh does his thing??? I know off-hand that Ocala, St. Pete, Sarasota, Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach all have nice art museums...and I'm sure there are more to discover. I bought a family membership at one and have been able to get in free to all the others--the benefits of reciprocity. Might be worth looking into.

Keeping you all in our prayers. Hang in there.

Kelly (also) in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version