Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Creating a Seasonal Display Table Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote nissag

I feel the need to set up a nook on my library for this. Any tips? Gimmee all you've got - nature tables, Saint's Days...

I'm not doing anything like lap-booking or scrapbooking with the children because I'm just not that talented. I get very stressed when I can't do a beautiful layout, and it becomes about the book and not about what we're supposed to be reading and learning. I thought that a display table - something visual and tactile as well as ephemeral - would be a the perfect solution.

I'd like to mainly focus on seasons (natural and Liturgical). Where does one store the doo-dads, I wonder?   I can just see me on thrifting day at the flea market...   

Ohh, that Madonna! Oh, that twig chair! Heaven help me, I'm a collector of everything.      But what a fun way to put our collections to good use!

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Sounds like a wonderful idea and I look forward to all the responses.

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Well, maybe you would like this book:
The Nature Corner. I haven't seen it, but I think it looks good

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

We do this...sort of a cross between nature table/ liturgical display.

I have a short dresser in the living room that has legs about 6 inches off the ground so i either store things under it or in our seasonal decoration boxes (ie with the christmas tree ornaments)

Up against the dresser is a little corner shelf.
Above the dresser is our Large Liturgical calendar and above the corner shelf is the little version of the calendar.

I have seasonal color clothes and liturgical color clothes and some holiday cloths- table runners, old fabric remmnants in the right colors and some square cloth napkins, kerchiefs- anything that works and is either cheap or free

ON the dresser I'll layer cloths to reflect season and liturgical season for instance Ill have a purple with white during advent in the winter or green and brown in the fall. During lent it is often bare. For big holy days like pentacost we will go all out with layers or red. My kids are little and often decorate on the garish side

We add in Saints dolls and holy cards. Other statues and crosses we have.

A current atrium work or Liturgical craft project is often there.

the kids frequently add nature finds. They have little electric candles they will light to signify they are working/praying there- sort of a "do not disturb" signal.

I have my Grandfathers antique framed sacred heart there and the dc love putting it out and opening the little doors.

We keep the "church books" in the dresser and appropriate ones will be dispalyed.

The little corner shelf has rosary hooks.

The children often fill vases with weeds, flowers sticks- what have you...

Mostly Ill let the children "work" with what I have in there as long as they are respectful with the materials.

Right now it is stripped as we are transitioning into a new learning cycle but Ill try to post some pics as we start into fall.

Hope this gave you a few ideas. It sounds like a lot but some times it is very simple.

God Bless- Maggie
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

We've done the liturgical ideas that Maggie mentioned above, very similarly, except we use a formerly unused end table (about 3'x3') and store the stuff underneath, which is hidden by the cloth we use to cover the table.

Lately, though, I've been thinking about having a place to display our various nature discoveries. I know some folks keep the discoveries in baskets...look at Theresa's Lapaz Farm Home Learning blog for more ideas on nature displays. You may have to dig, and I'm sure you'll get sidetracked since she has soooo many great ideas.

Like you, we don't really get into the lapbooking and crafts. The liturgical display is much simpler and more natural for me to carry out, and I have similar hopes for a nature display.

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

Alison
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 18 2007 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote Alison

We keep a seasonal nature table but it it is constantly changing, sometimes from one day to the next as finds from nature walks are added. It has been a good place to put all those "collections" that otherwise wouldn't find a home! I posted some pictures of our present table here: http://homeschoolingdownunder.blogspot.com/2007/08/crafting- in-august.html

blessings

Alison

Back to Top View Alison's Profile Search for other posts by Alison Visit Alison's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2007 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I couldn't get the link to work, one to many http things so I linked here: Crafting in August
Your daughter's quilt is amazing! You are right the squares look so very tiny.

I liked seeing a winter seasonal table this morning, brought a bit of a chill to my morning!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2007 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote nissag

~Rachel~ wrote:
Well, maybe you would like this book:
The Nature Corner. I haven't seen it, but I think it looks good

Oh my goodness Rachel! That book brought up about a thousand more on Amazon that O would dearly love to have. We're going to try needlefetling this year and I'm so excited.

Thanks for the book link! It's on my wish list.

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2007 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote nissag

CathinCoffeland wrote:

A current atrium work or Liturgical craft project is often there.

God Bless- Maggie

Wow Maggie! That sounds really wonderful. Do you have a picture of your nook? It sounds like a lot going on and truly fantastic. You mentioned "atrium" work - is that a Montessori term? I'm not terribly familiar with Montessori, though my eldest attended a Montessori school when she was 3 and 4 years old. At least, I'm not as familiar as with classical and CM.

I think Donna Marie just fainted.      Sorry Donna!

Blessings,

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2007 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote nissag

vmalott wrote:

Like you, we don't really get into the lapbooking and crafts. The liturgical display is much simpler and more natural for me to carry out, and I have similar hopes for a nature display.

Valerie

Thanks Valerie! I've set up my ancient gateleg table in front of a sunny window in the library. I'm looking forward to displaying projects, nature finds and celebratory displays. It opens up a host of possibilities.

And like I said, I can play around with it, take it down if it isn't working - whatever. And I can capture it in photographs to preserve. Much less pressure for me than a scrap-book style notebook. Scrap-booking is just not one of my talents.

Maybe someone would like to run a workshop on that at the Family-Centered Living Conference in May?

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 19 2007 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

nissag wrote:

You mentioned "atrium" work - is that a Montessori term?

Yep- montessori -Catechis of the Good Shepherd takes place in an atrium.

it is dicussed a lot over on the montessori and more forum.

Id link but the baby is napping in arms and im having trouble doing more than scrolling

Id take a pic but of course i just stripped everything

i like to have an empty house before the chaos or new learning supplies/year starts

Maggie
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version