Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: RC History, Volume 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Hi there!
Just thought I'd post about the first unit of Volume 2 of Connecting With History (CWH) from RC History.

I downloaded it yesterday and was pleased to find that there are a LOT MORE ideas for hands-on activities-nearly two pages. There are also a lot more creative writing ideas, not only for the Jr/Sr high students, but for the beginner and grammar levels as well.

The reading assignments for the unit are broken into two subject areas: The Roman Empire (63BC-1BC) and Life in Ancient Israel. The Core texts for the latter remain the same as for Volume 1; the core texts for the Roman Empire are the Catholic texts listed on the website which will continue to be used in Volume 2 on into the study of Medieval times (which would be Volume 3; there is an old unit study outline on the RCH website).

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

Thanks for the information, Valerie. I am using Volume 1 this year and hope to make it to Volume 2 by next fall

Christine
Back to Top View cvbmom's Profile Search for other posts by cvbmom

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Valerie

Very interested to read your take, your enthusiasm is contagious

Well they were the two areas that you felt they needed more of in the first volume, looks like they listened to you

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

bramasole
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 22 2007 at 12:26am | IP Logged Quote bramasole

I am just getting started with Vol 1 and am really looking forward to it. If I am understanding its use correctly, I believe I should use Vol 1 this year (beginner level) and then Vol 2 next year and then Vol 3 (if available) the following. If I am using it for a 1st grader this year, then I assume we return to Vol 1 in 5th grade and again in 9th, correct? Just at different levels. I hope I have this right, please feel free to let me know if I have it wrong.
Back to Top View bramasole's Profile Search for other posts by bramasole

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2007 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

You can do it that way, though I don't know if that was the intent of the author initially. The age levels you mention would be if you're wanting to approach history chronologically, similar to the rotation suggested in The Well Trained Mind. Still, for those of us picking up in the middle, the multi-level outlines are great, especially as more kids are added into the mix.

We started with Volume 1 a couple of years ago and got part of the way through, then ventured into a study of American History. So, my plan is to pick up where we left off (no need to do Ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia again), then delve into Volume 2 to finish up the year. It looks like the units that are available right now for Volume 2 leave off where the Middle Ages unit study that Sonya has had online for a while picks up. My guess is that this unit study is a framework for what will hopefully become Volume 3.

And I just recently found a multi-level American History syllabus from the Mercy Adademy. This is the program started by Andrea Chen, who collaborated with Sonya Romens on CWH Vol. 1. Again, I'm guessing that the vision here is similar to Sonya's. This is what I would plan on using once we get back to American History (post Renaissance/Modern).

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 15 2008 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well I've done it, I've just downloaded parts of Volume 2, Units 3-5. I didn't do the earlier units as we had already covered that period. In fact we have been doing right up till 329BC but I felt that I needed a little more direction. I am tired of always writing units from scratch and yet RC history will give me the flexibility I crave with the structure I need. So I am back to RC History, it just takes me awhile to work things out sometimes.

Only had a brief look so far, Valerie, Janet any other keen RC Historians do you feel it needs adding to for a ninth grader?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2011 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Bumping. Anyone else have thoughts about RC History's Volume 2? I actally would like to study from Pentecost to around 1400 with the boys next year... which goes a little beyond Vol. 2.

Other than the booklist, I really didn't use Volume 1 because it seemed more geared to the older kids. However, I *think* there are more study guides and activities for all ages in this volume. But as there are no sample pages, I'm not sure I want to spend $45 on a book that I won't end up using.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2011 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Thanks for bumping this, Maryan, and we wade through all these options together.

I really, really like the look of RC History. I don't feel confident enough to go it on my own just yet with history. I think it will be a good guide for the children- and for me!

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 26 2011 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Maryan, Sonya is scheduled to be at IHM, so you could peruse the RC History. Maybe you could send an email to see if she'll have it all on display that you can see it? (And maybe you weren't planning on attending!)

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2011 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

kristacecilia wrote:
Thanks for bumping this, Maryan, and we wade through all these options together.

I really, really like the look of RC History. I don't feel confident enough to go it on my own just yet with history. I think it will be a good guide for the children- and for me!

JennGM wrote:
Maryan, Sonya is scheduled to be at IHM, so you could peruse the RC History. Maybe you could send an email to see if she'll have it all on display that you can see it? (And maybe you weren't planning on attending!)

Normally it would be a good idea! And it's the *plan* to be at IHM. I saw them there two years ago and thought I should buy it, but the table was crowded, I got distracted and forgot.

But I'm really, really hoping to be further along in my paranoid lesson planning by then! And have the plan and just be buying the fiction books, workbooks, etc.

But again... that's the "plan."   

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2011 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Maryan,

You can call or email Sonya and talk to her, she is great! I really enjoyed CWH vol 1 and 2 and we are going to start vol3 soon. I can't find my copy atm but I was able to teach it to everyone last year. I don't do as much with the younger ones, and I saw whatever notes and such I did have in the program were a good prep for me to teach anyone. I loved finding coloring pages (from Dover and others) to facilitate our work.

HTH...long night and I am not thinking clearly...LOL

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2011 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

So for someone just starting out with a group of littles, would you recommend getting the CHW text? Or is it better to wait until you are using the grammatical stage books or higher?

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 26 2011 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Would you say RC History is mainly directed at families with multiples?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 26 2011 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

kristacecilia wrote:
So for someone just starting out with a group of littles, would you recommend getting the CHW text? Or is it better to wait until you are using the grammatical stage books or higher?

It would probably be too much for my littles, Krista. Now...it may help you, in that you find that the explanations, background, context of the different units helps you connect a few dots (it did that for me)....BUT....and this is a big but, it would really only be for your edification. At 6 1/2, most of those connections you'd be making in reviewing the guide would be over your son's head and totally lost on him.

Those are my thoughts on it anyway. I prefer instead, to just use some of their very good book recommendations in the elementary years...but then, I tend to default into the less is more category, so please take that with a grain of salt!

JennGM wrote:
Would you say RC History is mainly directed at families with multiples?

No. It IS a resource that can work well with families with multiple children, studying the same period of history but from different age vantage points. However, it is also helpful in that it is a resource that can be used again and again as your own child(ren) grows and matures. In other words, you may use it this year with your 4th grader...and then find that you pull it out again as you review this period of history with your 8th grader.

I found the guide most helpful on my first go-round teaching history. After that, I find I really only use the guide as an occasional reference.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 26 2011 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Maryan wrote:
Bumping. Anyone else have thoughts about RC History's Volume 2? I actally would like to study from Pentecost to around 1400 with the boys next year... which goes a little beyond Vol. 2.

I wanted to mention that I've always stretched longer than the century that RC History goes to in Vol 2. By the time you get to that point though, Maryan, I find that we're settled into a pretty good rhythm and are fine with winging the last centuries on our own.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2011 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

mackfam wrote:
It would probably be too much for my littles, Krista. Now...it may help you, in that you find that the explanations, background, context of the different units helps you connect a few dots (it did that for me)....BUT....and this is a big but, it would really only be for your edification. At 6 1/2, most of those connections you'd be making in reviewing the guide would be over your son's head and totally lost on him.

I felt this way...except due to the dynamics we have ongoing, I had very little time to read the suggested parent books and pointers, so I didn't get as much edification!

I have a hard time just prereading my 4th grader's booklist -- reading adult books takes this foggy mind way above its current level.

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2011 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Mackfam wrote:
kristacecilia wrote:

Those are my thoughts on it anyway. I prefer instead, to just use some of their very good book recommendations in the elementary years...but then, I tend to default into the less is more category, so please take that with a grain of salt!

That is the vibe I was getting from reading these posts and the overview on the RC History website, Jen.

Although, history and math are the two subjects I feel least confident teaching and I really do think I would feel better having the guide there just for my own sake. I could see myself using it to connect the dots, like you said. I am sure we would not do much more than read and enjoy the stories and maybe have a few little discussions or use some of the books for narrations or copywork.

I used to firmly believe that more was always better, and it has taken me a long time to realize how wrong I was. Hopefully my son won't bear any long-lasting effects, but I am always questioning myself now- that fine line between 'enough' and 'too much'. I am trying to take the 'when it doubt, do less' approach, but at the same time I don't want to ignore a subject he has told me he enjoys so much.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version