Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Assumption food??? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Whats for dinner Jenn??? Anyone?   I told the dc we could have artichokes, mainly because of their price, we only have them for Easter and Christmas.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 12:47am | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

I don't know about dinner, Molly, but after I read your question I found this recipe for a lemon cloud pie:

Lemon Cloud Pie

I could see cloud pie/Assumption, maybe?

We'll probably have to keep dinner rather simple, though, because my DH and DDs and I all sing in our church choir and have to leave our house at 6 to be at church by 6:30 to sing at the 7pm Mass. Maybe I'll save that cloud pie recipe and make it the night before the Assumption next year!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 6:03am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Molly, I'm going to make some fruity chicken, roasted potatoes, crusty bread and raspberry salad for dinner.

At tea, we are going to have a special punch (Celestial Seasonings Wild Berry Zinger tea sweetened with strawberry juice, and served over ice with a sprig of mint) and some tiny fruit tarts.

Happy Assumption Day!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Molly,
There is a tradition of blessing fruits and herbs on this day. Scroll down to the bottom of this page to read more about it. Also some information can be found here.

You could make an herb salad or a fruit salad to go with whatever you were serving.

We have decided to feast with an end of summer cookout by the pool (it's just a plastic kiddie pool but who cares ) Hot dogs, Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs (chicken and pineapple with a spicy marinade), fruit salad and cloud sandwiches for dessert (ok they are just smores, but don't tell the kids!). I had originally planned on making my own cloud pie which is a Double Chocolate Pudding Pie but the kids opted for the fun of burning marshmallows.

In the recipe above you could tell your little ones that the Devil's food gets squished by the white chocolate just like Mary crushes the head of the serpent. I would add more whipped cream to the top to make nice and fluffy!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Oh good MAtilda this I believe what Jenn linked me to earlier and I spaced it.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Red Cardigan wrote:
I don't know about dinner, Molly, but after I read your question I found this recipe for a lemon cloud pie:

Lemon Cloud Pie

I LOVE this idea -- now, for dinner????? Probably, as Matilda said, lots of end of summer bounty! I'm heading to the natural foods store so I'll be able to load up!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

kathleenmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote kathleenmom

Hey Molly!

We've done the blessing of the herbs around here in the past but this year, there were only some woebegone sad empty terracotta pots with nothing in them to bless sitting around and making me feel guilty.   

Soooo...we had light and fluffy cloudlike pancakes with blue sprinkles for Momma Mary for breakfast....there was supposed to be whipped cream, but I haven't been to the grocery store....and all I have is buttermilk and fruity punch this afternoon. Tazo Passionberry with oranges and lemonade. Yum!

Artichokes! Yum.

AMDG Academy
Back to Top View kathleenmom's Profile Search for other posts by kathleenmom Visit kathleenmom's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Mary G wrote:
Red Cardigan wrote:

Lemon Cloud Pie

I LOVE this idea -- now, for dinner????? Probably, as Matilda said, lots of end of summer bounty! I'm heading to the natural foods store so I'll be able to load up!
We actually made LIME cloud pie (as limes were 8/$1 and lemons 2/$ -- what would you have done ) and it was a BIG hit! And it was pretty quick to make -- which was good as we'd been gone since 8 a.m. (to Mass) and then running around (including granmere treating us all to lunch ) and a run by the library. Getting home at 3, I had the pie chilling by 3:30 (and that included juicing the limes!).

THANKS Jennifer!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

I just wanted to say that the Lemon Cloud Pie was a big hit in our house as well! And sooo easy! Love a yummy easy recipe. Thanks!!

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote Tami

Cindy Mac wrote:
I just wanted to say that the Lemon Cloud Pie was a big hit in our house as well! And sooo easy! Love a yummy easy recipe. Thanks!!

Agreed!! I used bottled lemon juice (because of the price of lemons) but did put the grated peel in.

The flavor was mild, but still delicious. I wonder if it would have been stronger with the fresh juice ?

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Did you all buy the crust or make it? I made it and it was a bust, the pie tasted good however I need to tweak it before I serve it to company.

Sorry about the dead herbs Kathleen, for some reason it makes me laugh. You have had SUCH a ridiculous summer, with the tree in the kitchen and all, I find it amusing you could feel guilty! How is the home repair coming anyways?????

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

Store bought crust for me - once again, easy,peasy,lemony squeezey as Sister Mary Martha .says

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 5:38am | IP Logged Quote Tami

Store bought crust here, too.

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

kathleenmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote kathleenmom

Molly...I can find a way to feel guilty about anything! Hey, since the worker guys were patching my kitchen ceiling all day and popcorning and spreading plaster dust to the four corners of my kitchen on Our Lady's Assumption, my kitchen was not terribly inhabitable. Sooooo.....we got Ben and Jerry's on the way home from Mass. Yikes! My kids are NOT a cheap date anymore--5 cones at Ben and Jerry's.

Kathleen

AMDG Academy
Back to Top View kathleenmom's Profile Search for other posts by kathleenmom Visit kathleenmom's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Molly,
Did you use ice cold water? My grandma always insisted on ice cold water when making a pie crust?

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I was "attmpting" to make a shortbread crust.    I did not follow any recipe I just made it up. I "thought" I could just make a shortbread......actually I think you can, I must of done something else wrong

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Here's what happened when I mixed myself and food on the feast of the Assumption. Oh, it was so humiliating!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version