Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Why not share your CGS training? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kira
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote Kira

Theresa, it never feels good enough ~ even Sofia Cavelletti makes changes to her work, even to this day. She is always observing and improving and changing aspects of the presentations and materials as she sees the need. It is very important to her that people realize it is a Living work and shouldn't be 'set in stone' and not allowed to grow in the richness it was meant to have. Unfortunately it is not always understood why something is the way it is and so changes are made that detract rather than enhance the richness of the message. It is important to remain with only the essential in a material as so much understanding is being derived from the material itself and little spoken but the Word. I would make your sheepfold round as there is so much symbolism to that particular choice ~ womb ~ nurturing new life, eucharistic bread, completeness ~ coming full circle, eternal, without end, the Alpha and the Omega etc, etc. ~ also, the bottom of the Good Shepherd and the bottoms of each of the sheep should be green as the 'new life' is within them ~ there should be ten sheep ie: hebrew tradition that it takes ten just men to start a synagoge, ten to save a city (Gen:18:32). Sofia has all her parable figures 2-dimensional (or flat, I suppose). We create them from wood and paint them ~ they should be able to stand (we use a scroll saw). Figures used to depict history (actual events ie: last supper) are 3-dimensional. This is how she does it and how we do it ~ I think the consistency is key at making connections as the child progresses. I'm not sure I would laminate or make paper doll type figures though as it's supposed to be a meditative work and somehow that seems to call for a richer medium ~ but I don't know as I've never worked with anything but the wood. The Good Shepherd work is about inviting us into relationship with the Good Shepherd ~ that he calls each of us by name is an important point (he knows us ~ we are called into an intimate relationship with Him). Feel free to email me if you like ~ I'm not sure how to share that info on the forum? And you can reach me through my blog as well www.kiramello.typepad.com/ showeredwithgrace /

Back to Top View Kira's Profile Search for other posts by Kira

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 21 2010 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote hmbress

I'm just stumbling on this thread and wanted to encourage those who would be interested in training if it weren't for the cost. Many parishes will pay for the training if you assist in their Atrium, or if you are even a catechist of any sort in the parish. I teach (for lack of a better term) CGS in a parish other than the one we belong to, and my training has been covered. Scholarships are sometimes available, and grants from the K of C are fairly easily obtained. Cost should not deter anyone from pursuing training.

Also, our Atrium is offered to the children free of charge (actually for a free-will donation, but most of the participants can't afford much). If you are able to assist in the Atrium (which doesn't require training), help make materials, provide donations of art supplies or paper, help with child care for younger children of those who teach/assist or for those who are taking training, provide snacks, etc. you will probably be able to negotiate free or reduced participation for your children. Again, I can't imagine ANY atrium refusing a child because of cost.

For those who have absolutely no access to an Atrium or training (and traveling for training weeks/weekends is not an option), much can be gleaned from reading Sofia Cavalletti's work. So there are options for learning more. Even traveling to an Atrium to observe once or twice would provide some valuable insight.

All of that being said, while I completely agree with Eleanor and Kira on the reasons for CGS policy on sharing albums/providing informal "training"/presentations (I haven't run across anyone who has had the opportunity to take the training who hasn't come to appreciate this stance), I have been wondering for some time if there still isn't a way to share more with parents.

The Cleveland atrium where I am currently taking my Level II training (traveling from Detroit to do so!) simultaneously offers the presentations to parents while the children are in Atrium. Their Atrium is between the two Sunday Masses, and it is an inner-city commuter parish, so most of the parents need to wait anyways while the kids are there. Perhaps this could be suggested to other Atria.

Our Detroit Atrium occasionally offers "required" parent sessions where our Level I directress (who is a Montessori trainer) and our Atrium directress offer education on the method and demonstrations of key presentations. This could also be suggested.

I just wanted to throw these ideas out in the hopes that others might find encouragement to learn more in some fashion. I pray that it is of help to someone!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version