Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Unschooling talk Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

I think what I mean is that both ds, my dh, and myself all wish that ds had more of a chance to "answer to" authority besides to mom and dad. and a more "self directed" learning style offered too LITTLE of the discipline that he wanted. (and I don;t mean obedience type discipline entirely, more structure Iguess is a good way to put it).
more practice at doing academic type stuff that he is NOT interested in kwim? He does loads of chores and things around the home and has a lawn mowing service job as well as over 90 volunteer hrs under his belt this summer alone.
maybe I just can't convey what I mean via internet. I DO know from talking locally with many other hs moms of boys that I am not alone. just maybe not verbalizing it right. out of time. LOVE discussing these things though!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

and by "answer to" authority I mean sending in a test, doing academic work in a coop setting, having a class taught by someone other than mom, etc. He is finding great satisfaction in "performing" for others and is driven by that, in a way that answering to mom or self learning (even though it was all studies that interested him for the most part) never did.
reminds me a bit of the "Holiness for Housewives" book where we as at home moms are strengthened and encouraged by doing the routine, mundane "chores" and so on- it is our vocation. maybe he is finding great satisfaction in the orderliness routine and mundane "chore" of structured education, and recognizing more fully his vocation as "student"
or is this a stretch??

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

lastly, I know the distinction between true unschooling and unparenting (which sadly many think is unschooling) and I assume and can be fairly certain all of the moms here at 4 learning are not unparents

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

LisaR wrote:
maybe he is finding great satisfaction in the orderliness routine and mundane "chore" of structured education, and recognizing more fully his vocation as "student"
or is this a stretch??

I don't think it is a stretch at all. Very interesting observation.
We all balk at the things we have to do, whether it be changing that thousandth diaper or cooking a healthy dinner "yet again". But there is peace in acceptance of our lot, and even joy when we align our will with God's. Maybe this is some of what you are seeing. If so, I would think it is a very good thing.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I think this is the beauty of HS or unschooling......kmowing what really makes your dc tick. I find it encouraging to hear other moms tweaking their routines to best fit an individual childs needs. My oldest dd has asked for a desk in order to keep her projects organized. This was a HUGE surprise to me!   I balk at the thought of my dc sitting in desks. Yet this is her need, so I got her a small desk at a thrift shop, she is happy as a clam. We need to be willing to move and reshape our plans, I think this is the will of God for me.
Thanks Lisa for this perspective!!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

thanks molly. yeah, I've had many "tsk tsk's" about enrolling oldest ds in seton last year, and #2 ds this year. but, he is so excited! and Joseph says he wished he had had seton sooner, so who knew?? They still read plenty of what they are interested in (like, 3-5 books going at a time! like their mom ) and are so busy inventing and creating, so I think it can work...

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

LisaR wrote:
I've had many "tsk tsk's" about enrolling oldest ds in seton ...

That is terrible!   People are very insecure and it is safer to point our fingers out instead of in!!
Good for you and Tim, you are a role model to all of us, do what works, when it works
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

chicken lady wrote:
LisaR wrote:
I've had many "tsk tsk's" about enrolling oldest ds in seton ...

That is terrible!   People are very insecure and it is safer to point our fingers out instead of in!!
Good for you and Tim, you are a role model to all of us, do what works, when it works

Absloutely! And I have 2 kids in public school!(The horror!) You just gotta do what ya gotta do!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Molly, when you post your talk on your blog, can you leave a link here? I'd love to have a read!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version