Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Whew -- it is done ... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

... the ordering of homeschool curricula, supplies and other paraphernalia so I can start the full year just right .... I spent this past week finding the best deals, figuring what I could afford and balancing the budget (and was just over-budget!) to get the right mix of Waldorfy, CM-ish, classical Catholic schooling stuff for my 8, 7 and 4 yo dc ....

I placed the orders Friday and they're already starting to come in -- Paper, Scissors, Stone wins with the first order in -- the Stone crayons in the pouch (I just KNEW I wouldn't get to making my own so figured the pouch was worth the extra $6.00!), main lesson books - one for each of the kids + one for me and we'll use these with our new crayons and pencils, a pack of "super ferbys" in the plastic box with the sharpener and the "scrap bag" of wool felt which will be really fun with the Feltcraft book that sounds like tons of fun and which I ordered from Amazon.

So, what did y'all order to kick off the year?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mary G wrote:

So, what did y'all order to kick off the year?

Uh, nothing yet...I'm just going to come to your house and enjoy your stuff!

But seriously, the only order I've placed this summer was from CHC during our conference. We didn't wait for school to "start" to start using materials. The big hit for dd is the Sewing With St. Anne book. She is already into several projects.

I've been restocking my art supplies locally for the most part. Getting everything ready to really do justice to the Artistic Pursuits curriculum. I've also been succumbing to my Sharpie addiction with numerous new purchases.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Mary G I can't wait to hear more about your plans!

Mary M, from one fellow sharpie addict to another, I say you can never have too many!

I ordered tons of Montessori stuff for dd. TONS! And I have been busy trying to find space to get it all set up.

For ds I ordered his math from Teaching Company. But that is ALL I have ordered for him because, well...who knows what he will be getting into next year!LOL!With him I just try to stay a step ahead if I can!Plus we already have so many things I am hoping to use up some of what we have before we get more.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 11:45pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Oh, Mary......my girls and I were up WAY PAST THeir bedtime tonight using the new Super Ferbys and Wax Crayons from Paper Scissors Stone! We are absolutely thrilled! I was trying to figure out where (which forum/which topic) I should gush about these things and voila.....here you are.....gushing away already!

The girls made me promise that we would do NOTHING tomorrow except draw of course, I agreed....considering how much these crazy things cost.....I was thrilled. i'm hoping to make them worth every penny and we're off to a good start.

The Super Ferbys are MARVELOUS!!!!! Helping with pencil grips, beautiful colors, thick lead, triangular shape and BIG! We'll be ordering more for sure!

We've received a few of our Montessori items and they are great! And, I've restocked the art supplies from Lakeshore and Michaels. Yummy watercolors that we love too. The new shelving arrived. We're crazy with shelves these days!

I bought a couple more Catholic Mosaic books to add to the collection. And some fun, new CDs - opera and French, came from amazon! Jump Ropes (that's homeschooling, isn't it?)

And, my new boots arrived which made me crazy to set up some nature shelves on the front porch. Who knew boots would get me so excited about nature walks!??

We moved our living room around.
Cut the legs down of a dining room table to make a big child table.
And, set up yet more shelves.

My kids asked me if kids who go to "regular school" receive boxes of "school stuff" in the mail like we do. They decided this was definitely one of the good things about being homeschooled.....receiving boxes, opening them and going crazy!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 1:33am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mary
Sounds wonderful, post as each package arrives.

lapazfarm wrote:
I ordered tons of Montessori stuff for dd. TONS! And I have been busy trying to find space to get it all set up.

Seem as though space is a problem, I'll look after it for you    

Suzanne G wrote:
Oh, Mary......my girls and I were up WAY PAST THeir bedtime tonight using the new Super Ferbys and Wax Crayons from Paper Scissors Stone! We are absolutely thrilled!

Suzanne,
Sounds absolutely wonderful and your other purchases sound so exciting, thank you for sharing.

Suzanne G wrote:
My kids asked me if kids who go to "regular school" receive boxes of "school stuff" in the mail like we do. They decided this was definitely one of the good things about being homeschooled.....receiving boxes, opening them and going crazy!

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 4:49am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Nothing this late, but I ordered a number of books from CHC, some other supplies via Adoremus books earlier, back in the spring, and I've already had most of it, although I am picking up things here and there off of Ebay LOL.

I didn't want to get stuck behind the eight ball, and getting caught up in the crush of people waiting til July/August to order stuff, and then it not getting here in time for school to start (Labor Day). What with having the boys due in June, DH leaving June 1st, etc....I didn't know where I would be, coping-wise...wanted to make sure I had everything I would need.

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

OK - I am starting to panic a little! Usually I have all my purchases done by the end of June. But new little ones can change things

Also this year - I determined to make a detailed plan BEFORE buying - and I am still in postpartum haze - so no plan yet! I have bought our Math and Latin - Horizons Math and Latina Christiana - though I think I will get the dvd in addition.I also have bought Lingua Mater for grammar for my oldest. My preschooler has the most in - I have got wooden toys and manipulative activities for him.

I need some advice from you wonderful ladies - my order this week is going to be Arts and Crafts - I am making lists for Lakeshore Learning and Paper Scissors. Suzanne - which crayons did you buy - I just cannot decide between Stone, Stockmar and Lyra? Mary G - can you you compare Lyra and Stone? Also - did you buy indivdual packs of crayons etc for each child (too expensive ) or a bigger pack for everyone? I am thinking of crayons, super ferbys, molding beeswax, maybe a lesson book each.

Mary M - I have been wanting to get Sewing with Saint Anne. We have Stitches and Pins but the projects are longer projects and mostly with a machine. Does Sewing with Saint Anne have hand sewing projects that we can do when time is short?

Thanks for starting this thread - it will push me into getting going this week.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MarilynW wrote:

Mary M - I have been wanting to get Sewing with Saint Anne. We have Stitches and Pins but the projects are longer projects and mostly with a machine. Does Sewing with Saint Anne have hand sewing projects that we can do when time is short?
I'm not MaryM, I'm MaryG, but I would say "go fo" the Sewing with St. Anne. We too have S&P and I don't like the projects as well. SSA is much gentler and the projects are very fun -- from scrunchies to veils for a BVM statue!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

I was just thinking "I wish someone would list what they purchased from Paper, Scissors, Stone." You must review, Mary, when you've had time to try it all out. I had to postpone my order because apparantly we need car insurance more than we need nice crayons and felt this month. But soon!
We did buy all our books and my husband wants Melanie in a uniform on school days, so I'm off to search for all things plaid. I'm having so much fun.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

J.Anne wrote:
I was just thinking "I wish someone would list what they purchased from Paper, Scissors, Stone." You must review, Mary, when you've had time to try it all out.

I'll be happy to give you guys a review -- I got their felt scrap bag which looks great and seemed reasonable when you only need bits and pieces of felt anyway to make toys or whatever. I did order Feltcraft from Amazon as it was a little cheaper. One thing that really impressed me was the speed, accuracy and completeness of the order. Literally ordered it on Friday and got it Monday!

J.Anne wrote:

I had to postpone my order because apparantly we need car insurance more than we need nice crayons and felt this month.
I KNOW how that goes -- but now you have the benefit of our experiences!

J.Anne wrote:
I'm having so much fun.
And that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

We just made our order with Singapore Math, and I am eagerly awaiting the box. We got the second set of Early Bird Math workbooks, a 4 workbook set of Early Bird Science, and some math manipulatives (number chart, linking cubes, geared clock, and a balance scale that I can't wait to play with).

I've also been working on Birthday and Christmas lists, as the grandparents are asking for the suggestions already and my youngest has her second birthday in two months. So, I'm adding a few Kumon workbooks and Boggle, Jr. on the list for my older daughter. And I'm adding lots of art supplies and Twister on the list for joint gifts.

I may have to look into this Paper, Scissors, Stone, and I'm intrigued by this Sewing with St. Anne. My mom used to make clothes for her and my sister (ten years older than me) all the time, but she had pretty much given up sewing by the time I came along and never even taught me how to sew on a button. Every beginners sewing book I find involves a sewing machine, but I really want to know the basics of sewing by hand and teach my kids eventually.
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

MarilynW wrote:

Suzanne - which crayons did you buy - I just cannot decide between Stone, Stockmar and Lyra?

I posted in the Cultivating Color... Forum

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

MarilynW wrote:
Also - did you buy indivdual packs of crayons etc for each child (too expensive ) or a bigger pack for everyone?

I bought a 6-pack and 4 other individual crayons. Eventually I would like to add another larger pack for everyone, and they will share. Same with the pencils.

Super Ferby, Super Ferby, Super Ferby........ Can you guess what we like the best????   

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

If you order from Paper Scissors Stone, please mention the conversations here. The woman I spoke with yesterday was pretty skeptical about the value of sending us some samples for the conference. She didn't think I could adequately demonstrate how to use the materials . Anyhoo, I think she's going to trust me with some crayons. It would be good if, when you order, you tell her from whence you came. They need to understand that they have a greater market than just the Waldorf purists.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

I'll do that Elizabeth. I think I click on PSS daily and create my fantasy order. Thanks to everyone who has mentioned the features of different materials. I follow all the art supply conversations.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Samples would be great! I trust you ladies' recommendations, but no way am I going to plunk down that much cash for crayons and pencils without trying them out first. I am a hands-on learner!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Okay, my ignorance and experience with these type of drawing materials is little to none. I have a family full of serious artists. My oldest son's art word decorates the walls of my home! Now two daughters and two young sons are showing the same talent their big brother has! So, tell me. Which type of crayons are you all buying? What makes the Super Ferbys so "super"?!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Maria~
Go here and let's talk!

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Mary, it is still the middle of the official school year here but I am looking at buying a few new resources for strewing.

I am looking at buying more of these British Museum Activity books. We have the one on the Celts and I think the younger two boys would like others in the series....

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Leonie wrote:
I am looking at buying more of these British Museum Activity books. We have the one on the Celts and I think the younger two boys would like others in the series....

I'm so glad you mentioned this series. I just picked up one on the Vikings from Salvation Army this week, and wondered what the consensus was on these publications. I had never heard of this press or series before, but making a mental note for my boy.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version