Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Waldorf Art ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

OK, so now that we've gotten the definitive answer from Elizabeth about Stone vs Stockmar crayons -- can you use these on plain drawing paper or should we get special drawing paper.

I've looked at a few Waldorf curriculum sites and they show the drawing being done in "main lesson books" which are basically plain paper, aren't they? Is there a special paper for use with the crayons? For instance, the Paper, Scissors, Stone catalog cover has a textured cardstock with a beautiful crayon (?) sketch????

So what say you, Waldorf experts?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I think that for crayon, smooth paper is best, not slick but smooth. Texture in the paper (like watercolor paper, for instance) causes the crayon to go on less smoothly and frustrates my children. My guess is that the paper was actually drawn on smoother paper and then printed on to the heavy cardstock. It's a lovely catalog cover isn't it? Makes me want to buy everything in there...how's that for marketing?

ETA: I just went and found my catalog. It's a watercolor, not a crayon drawing.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

+
Back to Top View donnalynn's Profile Search for other posts by donnalynn

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

donnalynn wrote:

I missed the definitive crayon discussion! - where is it? I have both stockmar and lyra crayons and between those I like the quality of the stockmar crayons better but we enjoy some of the brighter colors from lyra.

Donna,
The discussion is here. I don't know how definitive it was though; I didn't even compare Lyra because I don't have those...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Donna:
Phooey! Where were you a couple days ago when I was completely crazy with the differences between these crayons    

Paper, Scissors, Stone is neat.....you can order individual crayons to "try them out" , not nec. more expensive. I ordered a set of Lyra's and a couple individuals of Stockmar and Stone.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Oops....forgot to post about the actual TOPIC that you're asking about, Mary

I bought a pad of heavier drawing paper (can't remember the lb. right now) and when we do something specific for a project.....such as drawing something for Catholic Mosaic, the liturgical year, special nature drawing, etc. I'll bring out the drawing paper. Or, if they ask for it specifically.

Otherwise, the regular scratch paper will be accessible at all time for use with the new crayons and pencils. I just can't see have unlimited good paper around....too $$$. But, I do want to have it for certain things.

That's my thought anyway.....we'll see....

ETA: I'm getting to know the Paper, Scissors, Stone people by name

So.....THEY say....
you want something that has a bit of "tooth" to it - 60-90# drawing paper. This works best for these crayons. If it's a paper that is meant for PRINTING, it will be smoother. Which won't take the crayon well. They take ink well, not crayon. Any "drawing paper" will have this "tooth" .....a bit more rough.

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I don't know if I am a Waldorf expert (actually I do know....I am not), we do use alot of Waldorf materials and I agree with Elizabeth about the smooth lesson book pages,
I have found my children really enjoy the quality crayons and paper. They treat them better, they seem to sense the quality and take extra time on their art work.

PAx
Molly
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Has anyone had any success with the Stockmar Block crayons? We got the regular crayons this past Christmas & our little girls continually dropped them on the hardwood floor & they pretty much all ended up breaking .

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

I'm going to try the Stockmar block crayons for my two year old, I think he'll really dig these

Has anyone bought the little chubby ferbies?? I want to try these for metal inset work, but also encourage for drawing for my littlest two guys, TIA!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Meredith wrote:
Has anyone bought the little chubby ferbies?? I want to try these for metal inset work, but also encourage for drawing for my littlest two guys, TIA!!

Meredith:
We received the Super Ferby Pencils about a month ago and we LOVE them! I went into annoying detail about them here. We got the long ones, since I have four kids, I just figured they'd last longer. We'll def. be ordering more! We use them for inset work, drawing, copywork....everything!

They have also helped with my 6.5dd pencil grip.

And, don't forget to make sure you have a LARGE HOLE pencil sharpener for them.

BrendaPeter wrote:
Has anyone had any success with the Stockmar Block crayons? We got the regular crayons this past Christmas & our little girls continually dropped them on the hardwood floor & they pretty much all ended up breaking .

Darn, I thought I heard that the beeswax crayons don't break too easily.   

We do have the block crayons and they have gotten a lot of use. They're fun for shading, color patches, demonstrating thickness and solid vs. light color. Also for non-specific drawing.....we like to put up huge roll of butcher paper on the wall and they can use the block crayons for big swooping pictures.

My 18-month-old is starting to grab them and use them.    

ETA: We have the Lyra Block Crayons.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thanks Suzanne!! Looking forward to seeing your little ones artwork Sounds great!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version