Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living and Loving Numbers
 4Real Forums : Living and Loving Numbers
Subject Topic: Montessori math Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 24 2007 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

montessorisbev wrote:
So mine is not so much a reply as a question. I have 2 children 5.5 and 3 years old (approx. My plan was to do Montessori math almost exclusively, with them. When I say almost, I was thinking of using some workbooks or just make my own worksheets up at some point.

However, I was under the impression, I could do it using Hainstocks books and the math albums onlinepretty much. Do the Montessori RD manuals have extra presentations? Would they be the same as the Math album build class that Karen is offering? I am really confused now. I am still in the process of creating an outline of study for this coming year, but it seems like the more I think of it - the more there is to think do the RD manuals give a better outline to follow. Do I need to supplement the manuals with other teaching materials?

Thanks

Bev

The albums Karen is providing right now through her class are for ages 3-6 (primary), and they seem quite detailed.      When I first started trying to do Montessori math, I just found that I personally needed a little extra coaching than the MTC Elementary math manual provided (or I needed more visuals anyway.) That's why I went with NAMC at the time. I decided to order the R&D manuals this year because I have an 8 yo who's (finally) moving into more of the elementary material. The R&D manuals seemed like a good choice for elementary, because they're more detailed than the elementary material available for free.

--Angela

Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2007 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

(random thoughts)

I'm not officially doing Kindergarten math, but I wanted to pipe in and say that this thread has gotten me thinking about what we will do when we get there; which then led to a question about the definition of math (and other subjects for that matter). (I'm doing VBS this week - arts and crafts - a lot of mindless cutting of what I've decided is useless junk (that's my sore hand talking!) - I would SO redesign VBS a&c to include REAL works of art which the children are then asked to imitate in some fashion... off topic).

Celeste's post is really what got me thinking - her quote from the RD manual about experience, comprehension, then the rules. While I am 'ok' with the idea using workbooks and other similar style items for car rides and such (ie busy work - and only for the fun of it - never a requirement for younger elementary), I have also come the conclusion that we will not be using any of the current or past math publications, instead sticking with straight Montessori, developing charts and such as they go. I would also think that various math living books would be very good, along with stories about the people who discovered various mathematical rules (ie Living Math. And the idea of math journals just sounds great - documenting progress (writing out activities done, discoveries, inserting completed charts, summaries/narrations of books/biographies, perhaps a timeline?).

A couple of blank notebooks or a binder with paper and sheet protectors, writing utensils, the Montessori materials and lots of library books... it just sounds so much more fun and a lot less money than purchasing textbooks anyway!

I've written out several typed pages about the various subjects, what they are, what they are meant for and to be, how civilization has developed understanding of each subject over time, and questions seeking a decent method of discovery for young Catholic children.

(definitely too much cutting this week - too much time for thinking!)
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2007 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

CatholicMommy wrote:

I've written out several typed pages about the various subjects, what they are, what they are meant for and to be, how civilization has developed understanding of each subject over time, and questions seeking a decent method of discovery for young Catholic children.

I'd be interested in your notes on this, if you don't mind sharing!

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

montessorisbev
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 24 2007 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote montessorisbev

Has anyone tried Schiller Math - it is based off the montessori method. I am looking at Lesson book 1 and 2 ( my son would be in between those two) the fractions and the base ten workbook. If I buy those, would i still need the manuals then? Just wondering out. Sorry I seem so clueless.

Bev
Back to Top View montessorisbev's Profile Search for other posts by montessorisbev

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2007 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

CatholicMommy wrote:
I'm not officially doing Kindergarten math, but I wanted to pipe in and say that this thread has gotten me thinking about what we will do when we get there; which then led to a question about the definition of math (and other subjects for that matter)...
Celeste's post is really what got me thinking - her quote from the RD manual about experience, comprehension, then the rules. While I am 'ok' with the idea using workbooks and other similar style items for car rides and such (ie busy work - and only for the fun of it - never a requirement for younger elementary), I have also come the conclusion that we will not be using any of the current or past math publications, instead sticking with straight Montessori, developing charts and such as they go. I would also think that various math living books would be very good, along with stories about the people who discovered various mathematical rules (ie Living Math. And the idea of math journals just sounds great - documenting progress (writing out activities done, discoveries, inserting completed charts, summaries/narrations of books/biographies, perhaps a timeline?).

A couple of blank notebooks or a binder with paper and sheet protectors, writing utensils, the Montessori materials and lots of library books... it just sounds so much more fun and a lot less money than purchasing textbooks anyway!

Great random thoughts here, we too are going without workbooks/textbooks, certainly for K and my older two will only be using there's as a spine, until I get fully integrated with the Elementary Math Manuals

I would be interested in your notes too
Blessings!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2007 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Bev, you are NOT clueless I feel like I'm wading through the quagmire most of the time, so you're doing just fine here

I think the Shiller is good, but MAY NOT be necessary if you look at getting the Manuals. Just my .02

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 25 2007 at 12:40am | IP Logged Quote Celeste

For those who have used Montessori math: when prepared problems are called for to practice a skill (not for learning arithmetic facts--those are easy), what do you use? Occasionally I will use a cheap drill workbook or something like Spectrum Math, which doesn't do a whole lot of teaching but does provide practice problems. I'll have them use the material to solve the problems in the workbook. But I'm open to other ideas. . . .

Celeste
Back to Top View Celeste's Profile Search for other posts by Celeste

JoJo
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 25 2007 at 2:24am | IP Logged Quote JoJo

Angel wrote:
...without a regular work period, I've found that I need to require math every day. And when math becomes a requirement -- even if I let her choose the particular activity -- she only does the bare minimum necessary to complete the requirement. One of my goals for the year is to change this situation by trying really, really hard to provide a real 2-3 hour work period in the morning.    

--Angela
Three Plus Two

That is our experience exactly. ATM I am trying very very hard for a 1-2 hour work period for my 6yo, and a shorter one for my 3yo. Aiming for about 3 hours with a break for morning tea (that one of them prepares - cutting up fruit or vegies etc).

Jo

Jo
Back to Top View JoJo's Profile Search for other posts by JoJo

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2007 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Celeste wrote:
For those who have used Montessori math: when prepared problems are called for to practice a skill (not for learning arithmetic facts--those are easy), what do you use? Occasionally I will use a cheap drill workbook or something like Spectrum Math, which doesn't do a whole lot of teaching but does provide practice problems. I'll have them use the material to solve the problems in the workbook. But I'm open to other ideas. . . . Celeste

In my tutoring work with older kids, we have used self-correcting flashcards (the answer is a small number on the back) and allowed use of the golden beads and such if needed. We did also use the Math CD-rom from CHC (can't think of its name right now) to encourage quickness of memory - something I may or may not do for my own children but was necessary for the tutoring since they did these 'mad minute' sheets every day at school (basically try to get the whole sheet of problems done in under 3 minutes).
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2007 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Celeste, are you thinking in terms of Story Problems, or more like doing multiplication or one of the functions with say two and three-digit numbers? Also is this in regards to the 6-9 or 3-6 age range? I am planning on having my older kids (8.5 & 11) continue with their Saxon books, but not in a workbooky sense, just to make sure we're covering the material in a Montessori-ish way. Does that make sense? Let's see if we can figure this out I really want/need those Manuals !!

montessori_lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 25 2007 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote montessori_lori

I just ordered the first kit from Schiller Math - I've wanted to for awhile, so I finally jumped in and did it.

I first found out about Schiller Math when Larry Schiller himself bought my Binomial & Trinomial Cards back on eBay! Too funny! (I never found out what he thought of them...)

Anyway, I wanted it for three reasons:

1) I'm super busy, and I like the idea of using a kit that's already planned out

2) I don't have all the Montessori math materials (esp. wooden ones)

3) I've had several people ask me if I recommend Schiller Math, so I plan on writing a review after we've used it for awhile.

So, I'll keep you guys posted!
Back to Top View montessori_lori's Profile Search for other posts by montessori_lori

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 25 2007 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Celeste

Meredith wrote:
Celeste, are you thinking in terms of Story Problems, or more like doing multiplication or one of the functions with say two and three-digit numbers? Also is this in regards to the 6-9 or 3-6 age range?

This is elementary, 6-9 and 9-12.

Story problems, 3-digit and up multiplication and division, multi-digit addition and subtraction. That's what I need.

Not the "Table of ___" problems that they do to memorize addition, subtr, multipl, division facts.

Celeste
Back to Top View Celeste's Profile Search for other posts by Celeste

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2007 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Celeste, I don't have my links on this computer, but I know there are several websites that have free math worksheet generators where you can set the operation and the number of digits (or range of numbers) and it will generate a sheet of problems for you, with answers on a seperate sheet. This may be all you need for practicing operations.
here is one:Superkids
and another:the math workshee tsite

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 28 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Just chiming in- I just got back from vacation and will never catch up with all the posts- I use and really like RightStart math with my 8-year-old. I had done all the montessori 3-6 math and the MTC elementary, but I wanted something that was easier for me to implement. I just love RightStart, Dr. Cotter was a montessori teacher and keeps very up to date with the latest research in math education. She takes the best of the hands-on montessori approach and makes it affordable and easy to use. I willmost likely continue to use RightStart as the basis for my elementary math curriculum, but would like to add more montessori presentations as a supplement- and b/c they fit in so well with the RighStart manipulatives which are basically cardboard versions of the golden beads.
But the original question was about a Kindergartener- for mine I will be using primarily montessori as I have done for preschool. I have RightStart level A (kindergarten) but looking through it, it is pretty basic compared to the montessori, but I will probably work through it anyway, just skipping what my son has already mastered, since I have the book and then I can say "We did RightStart Level A textbook" at the end of the year.
I'm sorry if this is repetitive - as I said I haven't had time to catch up on all the posts!

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2007 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Andrea, I am with you on Right Start. Did you see this:
Enhancing Montessori Math I also have her NACHE talks from a few years ago...great food for thought.

I used Right Start in the past and I had burn out...it wasn't the program just all the other things in my life and I took a break using Math U See and their videos to help me out and get my confidence back.

I am going to use both Montessori and Right Start things this year. And when I can't get to a new presentation, I will keep the kiddoes busy with a few other resources we have.

know this is as clear as mud...I am just STARTING to formulate my plan for this. I want to keep our Math as an EXPERIENCE with all of it progressing as smooth and easy going as possible. I don't want to fall into the trap of forcing it at them again. Been there done that. It took awhile for me to let go of my "schoolie" mindset...once I started WATCHING the children and listening to them in this area, I started feeding them with one more EXPERIENCE after another instead of a certain amount of pages of a text.

So here I am planing a Maths experience for multi ages and levels and one math challenged dd....this should be an interesting year!
...plans subject to change as a result of any life altering events...

God love you,
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2007 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Donna Marie, I LOVE your attitude!

Donna Marie wrote:
So here I am planning a Maths experience for multi ages and levels and one math challenged dd....this should be an interesting year!
...plans subject to change as a result of any life altering events...

I am hoping to provide more math Experiences as well. Perhaps we should share plans

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2007 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Donna Marie, I LOVE how you put this! This is exactly how I have done math with my ds, as a series of "experiences" followed by some hands-on practice and I think it has worked beautifully. He is entering 7th grade this year and has gone from hating math (in 3rd grade public school) to loving it.

As an aside:
For those with older children, I cannot recommend highly enough the book "The Man Who Counted" for inspiring a love and curiosity about math. We did it as a read-aloud and after each chapter ds was eager to find out more about the puzzles and concepts about which we had read. Wonderful book.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 29 2007 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

I've been thinking about Math this afternoon, and I think that since we've never used the Montessori materials before, I'd like to start from the first as it is listed in the Moteaco Albums for 3-6 yrs. My dgs is almost 7, but it seems that in order for things to make sense to him (and to me!) we will need to do that.

I've already got a math program we've been using up till this point, but I want to see how it will work in with the Montessori math. From the looks of things we may just need to immerse ourselves in the materials for the first few months and go from there. There seems to be quite a bit of material to cover just in the 3-6 math album!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version