Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Learning states and capitals Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 21 2005 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

TracyQ wrote:
I was just reading my 10th graders World History last night. It's fascinating! I'm shocked at what I truly do not know!

Tracy:

Isn't this the BEST part of homeschooling (other than the time with the kids, etc).

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 22 2005 at 3:25am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I know this idea isn't directly about a way to memorize states and capitals, but you can study the states using the US states quarters as a starting point. For several years we were doing that - studying a state when that quarter was released. We have gotten away from that but think we'll start again. The newest quarter is Oregon where the grandparents and uncles live. It was kind of fun to visit this summer because we just got the quarter, then were able to visit Crater Lake for the first time. Since Crater Lake is the scene on the Oregon quarter the younger ones were really impressed. We've been waiting a long time for the western states quarters to be released!

Here is the link to the US Mint State Quarters page. Click on the "H.I.P. Pocket Change" icon on the left to go to the kids/teachers page. There are lots of lesson plans available there. The ones for the first 3 years' releases (1999, 2000, 2001) are not as specific by individual state or extensive as the more recent ones.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 29 2006 at 2:54am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

A friend just directed me to a book they had found really helpful - Yo, Sacramento. Each page has a silly picture with mnemonic to help remember the state capitals. We just got it from the library today and dd (11) has memorized a good chunk already.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2006 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Thanks Mary for the recommendation. I just ordered it at my library!

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

I'm just catching up with this but if you are interested I have the animaniacs video on my blog
here

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

marychris wrote:
We have the Scrambled States of America game.

This is by far the best source we have found for learning States and Capitals. It is not a another boring educational game, and even I enjoy playing it!

We went on vacation last year, and the girls participated in a States and Capitals quiz at the resort, easily winning (even against adults, including some teachers!) because they'd spent a week playing that game just before!

I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

alicegunther wrote:
marychris wrote:

This is by far the best source we have found for learning States and Capitals. It is not a another boring educational game, and even I enjoy playing it!

We went on vacation last year, and the girls participated in a States and Capitals quiz at the resort, easily winning (even against adults, including some teachers!) because they'd spent a week playing that game just before!

I have to chime in here too - we got this game 3 years ago and it has been the most played with game that we have. Even my almost 3 year old is fascinated by it - sits for hours with the cards and can name all the states. (and with his logic - California - the orange one, Texas the blue one!!!)

I want to really recommend The All American Trivia game (Junior) too - my kids got it for Christmas and we have played it nearly every day. Everyone learns a lot - and it gets quite competitive around our house. It includes US History, Geography and general trivia.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

alicegunther wrote:
marychris wrote:

Wow Alice, you're a powerful advocate. So, where can I find this game locally?

God bless,

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

I am looking these things up (because if they're recommended here, we often get them.

On my search, the Scrambled States of America is based on Laurie Keller's book of the same name.
Here's the book:
Scrambled States of America book

Here's the game:
Scrambled States of America game

You can also buy the game here:
game at Funagain Games

I found the All American Trivia Game here:

Educational Games

Board Games Express

Explains the game and has the rules on PDF:
Outset Media

Thanks for sharing these games with us!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

These are links to the manufacturer, Gamewright (All great games BTW). Scrambled States of America is the one that has been recommended.

But they also have Scrambled States 2 which is for the slightly younger crowd.

Both are good.

Our Domestic Church

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Well, I was actually asking if anyone knew local nationwide (if that even makes sense) stores that carried these games. For instance, Target carries the Loot game. I bought it for $5.00 and avoided shipping costs as well. I guess I'll have to check.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Target carries a few of the smaller games from Gamewright - but not very many. They are the only place where I have seen them at a chain type store. Here locally we can find them at toy stores and book stores that aren't the big chain stores. Smaller independent type stores that carry high-end toys and educational products - does that make sense. I would check those type of stores near you.

I googled a bit and it looks like a place in Salt Lake - The Tutoring Toy, that carries some gamewright. That would be the type of store in general that carries them.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 02 2007 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Tina,
I found Scrambled States at Barnes and Noble today. They carry a fair selection of Gamewright's other games as well so it would be a good source to check.

Our Domestic Church

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 02 2007 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

I cant vouch for this one but another homeschooling mom recommended it for me. Dd's are too young but i put it in my amazon wish list to look over when they get to that age. Here it is. It has good reviews.

Yo Sacramento
Back to Top View graciefaith's Profile Search for other posts by graciefaith

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version