Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: The Year and Our Children Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 16 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

The Year and Our Children by Mary Reed Newland, out-of-print for years....

IS NOW IN PRINT!!!!!.

I saw it this Saturday in a store in Pennsylvania. I have spent much money and time tracking down copies to give to all my siblings. This is such a treasure!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 16 2007 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This is really great news, Jenn!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Marjorie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 16 2007 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote Marjorie

Thanks for posting this , Jenn! I was looking on line for a copy to no avail. BTW - I want to purchase one or two books to help us live the liturgical year better. What others would be on your top 5 list and why?

Lettres de mon Moulin
Back to Top View Marjorie's Profile Search for other posts by Marjorie

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2007 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Marjorie wrote:
Thanks for posting this , Jenn! I was looking on line for a copy to no avail.

Yes, thank you, Jenn. I had no idea and am thrilled to see this.

Couldn't locate it at Sophia Press but found it at amazon. I was really anxious to see the cover art. It's beautiful and, if you click on the search inside! feature, you can view the back cover as well.

I do hope this book helps out this extraordinary publisher to stay afloat. I love their books and they do such beautiful work.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2007 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Jenn, this is AWESOME!!! Thank you so much for sharing this treasure with us, I can't wait to get my hands on a real copy once and for all

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 16 2007 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Cay Gibson wrote:
I do hope this book helps out this extraordinary publisher to stay afloat. I love their books and they do such beautiful work.

I second that and suggest buying the book directly from them or a local store (and not Amazon).

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2007 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

This looks really exciting, thanks Jenn for sharing this news!   

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 16 2007 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Marjorie wrote:
Thanks for posting this , Jenn! I was looking on line for a copy to no avail. BTW - I want to purchase one or two books to help us live the liturgical year better. What others would be on your top 5 list and why?

Marjorie, I was having a conversation with my sister Celeste this past month about sources. It wasn't along this vein exactly, but it made me realize how much I've immersed myself in this "rabbit trail" for years. I own or have read many authors and titles in this area. I think my search is to find that perfect title that encompasses all the other books and pamphlets so I won't need to write a book, but I've never found the perfect one. I know I'll never find it because it doesn't exist and it can't be written, for each family is different, and even within the family there is ebb and flow, changes as the children grow and age, interest variables, mother limitations , etc. Perhaps I look it as "Real Learning" approach to Living the Liturgical Year in the Home.

"My favorites list" includes both in print and out of print titles, so I'll provide a bit more than 5:

1) Top of the list, Cooking for Christ by Florence Berger from 1949. There is a reprint, but it's edited, and not as wonderful. It's a liturgical cookbook, but it's full of Catholic and liturgical traditions. From my research it's probably one of the first books in America written directly on this liturgical year in the home subject. This was the ground-breaker. I just love reading it over and over again.

2) Around the Year with the Trapp Family by Maria von Trapp. This is OOP, you can read the text here or see most of it online at this blog. I've tried to make .pdf files of the music, which is key. The most value I've found from this book is the chapters on the sacraments, on living Sunday, on living in Ordinary Time, and the music. From other discussions on this board and elsewhere some of it is idealistic--Maria doesn't talk about the "realities" of the interaction of the family and implementing traditions.

3) The Year and Our Children by Mary Reed Newland. This book really gives an idea of "in the family trenches" in bringing these traditions alive. This is part of her "trilogy", the other titles How To Raise Good Catholic Children(originally entitled "We and Our Children"), and The Saints and Our Children.

4) A Continual Feast by Evelyn Vitz. Yes, another liturgical cookbook, but this one is in print and very, very good. It's not just recipes (and most of these are very tasty and realistic) but great explanation of the traditions.

5) Celebrating the Church Year With Young Children by Joan Halmo is one of my newer favorites. I have some reservations as far as the music and other source suggestions, but I really, really agree with her focus on the Liturgical Year seasons, as that echoes the Church's focus. I'm not saying don't celebrate saints days, but they are the "supporting cast" as it were, and Easter is the focus, and the feasts that surround the Paschal mysteries should be in the forefront. She wrote this book after being introduced to Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, so the focus on the liturgical year presented to young children echoes CoGS.

6) Because I never stick to the numbers, I'm adding a sixth source. There are three pamphlets by Helen McLoughlin that are OOP, but just jewels for the home. She wrote My Nameday, Come for Dessert which I use as reference, but not as often as her Family Advent Customs, Christmas to Candlemas in a Catholic Home and Gifts of the Spirit (originally titled Family Customs: Easter to Pentecost).

Honorable Mention: I really enjoy some of the newer self-published titles that are out right now. They aren't my favorites, because I'm familiar with so many of these customs. I don't like comb bindings for my books, so that's another reason why I don't refer to these as often, but I thought I would include these:

Women for Faith and Family have two sourcebooks for the main liturgical seasons.

Domestic-Church has some great booklets, also.

Celebrating the Faith in the Home Series

Treasure Chest Traditions by Monica McConkey. Most of these ideas are very original, and very craftsy.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 16 2007 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Celeste

For a real-life implementation of "Around the Year with the Trapp Family," see mother-of-ten Aloise Buckley Heath's A Trapp Family Christmas.

Celeste

(from yet another great book recommended by Jenn)
Back to Top View Celeste's Profile Search for other posts by Celeste

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 17 2007 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Sophia Institute Press now has Year and Our Children online! Get your credit cards ready!

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2007 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote trish

I love 'The Year and Our Children'. It has been the source of many 'new' family traditions. My copy is very worn and stained. I cherish it. It's also the book that seems to get 'hidden' on me the most. When I need it and can't find it my 18 dd always says 'somebody doesn't want us to do that'.
'A Continual Feast' is awesome. Another one of my fav's. A recipe for every feastday.   

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

SuzC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2007 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote SuzC

I picked it up today at our local Catholic bookstore! I was going for other things, but it was on the table at the front door and jumped into my happy hands as soon as I walked in. It's thick! I love my falling apart original, but Sophia books are always soooo beautiful.

Thanks, Jenn, for the heads up!

ETA: I just pulled the book out of the bag to show dh...and somehow the cover got bent on the ride home from the bookstore.
That's what I get for bragging about having the new copy.

All For Jesus
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 22 2007 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote All For Jesus

This is awesome! I can't wait to get mine!
Back to Top View All For Jesus's Profile Search for other posts by All For Jesus

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2007 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I just ordered mine from Linda at Sacred Heart Books and Gifts. She has free shipping over $15. She has lots of other great religious and homeschooling books too.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2007 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Celeste wrote:
For a real-life implementation of "Around the Year with the Trapp Family," see mother-of-ten Aloise Buckley Heath's A Trapp Family Christmas.

Celeste

(from yet another great book recommended by Jenn)

This is so fun (not to mention a timely good reminder about materialism) I'm printing it to share it with my husband. Thanks Celeste!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version