Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Link for Montessori home/set-up Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 12 2007 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Kristin wrote:
Here's a question for you ... is having a set of cardboard nesting cubes (like those by Eric Carle that somebody described) and a Pink Tower redundant? My reasoning for having both is that a younger toddler could have fun exploring with the nesting cubes while older sibs use the Pink Tower. I must admit, I'm particularly fond of the nesting cubes because this like-new set was one of my favorite thrift store bargains! I guess I'm looking for objective opinions and wondering how stringent I'm going to have to be with myself to get the simplification job done!

We have both the pink tower and one stacking/nesting , as well as a set of nesting dolls. I have found specific enough purposes for the other items to justify keeping them - they don't do what the pink tower does, but the pink tower doesn't do their task either (the dolls show multicultural dress; the discovery toy cups have their measuring thing (water from the 1 and 2 cup fit into the 3 cup), and there's the pattern with the colors, plus the babies can be given just one color ie all the reds to stack and nest and add the other colors later).

I'm considering giving away the discovery toys one, but I just can't seem to do it - and I'm able to get rid of so much else!
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

JoJo
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2007 at 3:11am | IP Logged Quote JoJo

I have been looking at the same site for a couple of years now. This is link I have been using. It might help if you can't use the other one.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/monthome/index.htm

Gotta go now - it's almost tea time and I think I've spent 5 mins too many here.

Jo
Back to Top View JoJo's Profile Search for other posts by JoJo

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote Angel

My fling-fling-dump tag team recently got into a few of my closets because their siblings left the doors open, and flung and dumped a lot of the stuff I had already organized. This is probably an indication that I need to consolidate all our learning stuff in ONE place. But I think that job will have to wait until after the baby is born. If I want to have things in actual use before December, I need to work on our learning area itself -- which happens to be our dining room, a room we also eat in.

About the simplifying, though... where do you all keep the boxes of stuff that's supposed to go out the door? I have to sort everything on the dining room table, and the only place for me to put boxes as I'm working on them is behind our hearth gate. That means our hearth is always stacked full of junk. Then the boxes get moved out to the car to go to the thrift store, but the thrift store is only open from 10-2 on Fridays and it depends on my husband to get our donations there.

What do you do with unwanted/unused curriculum?

Also -- how much time a day do you all spend on these sorts of projects? My toddlers are getting up between 5:45 and 6:30, and I might be lucky to get 30 minutes to myself in the afternoon. Nobody goes to bed until around 9:30 PM, and by then I'm zonked. The kids have started being really grumpy and bickering a lot, largely because I've pared down our routine to do some of these things, and they need more structure. How do you keep up with the kids, daily maintenance, *and* organizing projects?

--Angela

Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 13 2007 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Kristin,
We have a set of cardboard nesting cubes and a Pink Tower coming. I like them both, so I kept the nesting cubes. The nesting cubes are self correcting, both in stacking and nesting, you can only do it in one way or the others won't fit. I also like how they help with spatial discrimination. Don't know if that helps? I have the Matreshka dolls too, but they're no-brainers to keep!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 13 2007 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Angela,
I'm selling most of my unwanteds - so I put them in boxes and bags in the attic. It's stuffed for a little while, but it's out of sight (so the kids don't lament that cherished item they played with once in the last 7 years.) This fall, everything will come out of the attic and go into a consignment sale (with the proceeds from the sale purchasing more...can you guess? ) Could you stuff a corner of your garage?    

Some items were goodwill bound. I bag those items, and store them in my husband's trunk.    Then, once I was done sorting everything I could just have him swing by goodwill with everything in his trunk.

I had to move quickly once I found out I was pregnant Angela, so I popped in our Little Bear DVD's for my 2yo - alot. I flew through my stuff! Once, when I had a ton of stuff scattered everywhere, and the 2yo was drooling at the thought of all the flinging possibilities, I had my older child take him out to play for a little while, which bought me enough time to consolidate the "get-rid-ofs" into bags and boxes. I wrapped puzzles and other items that had multiple pieces with saran wrap in order to keep them intact for the next owner. This keeps things together without the sticky mess of tape which rips stickers and other graphics off. Then they could be bagged and boxed. My dh moved boxes and bags for me once he got home. I moved *really* fast - a sort of blitzkrieg of cleaning if you will.

I was so glad I eliminated the excess from the learning area. The visual decluttering left us with more horizontal space, and those things that I kept weren't stuffed behind and beside anymore. And it feels good to be passing along my other items to families that might get more use out of them than we did.

As I was cleaning and storing, I felt like Eleanor, I just had too much redundant stuff! Things that were not attractive, and that had not been used in years. Some of it was twaddle, I should've gotten rid of it years ago, but kept saying to myself, "well, I have more kids coming, I might use it sometime???" But, we never did use it regularly. We gravitated to the beautiful books, and the few heavily relied upon toys that really inspired imaginative play.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Thank you for the other link! It's funny - when I click on the original website link from that website, I still get the error message. But I can see this one, so thank you!
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 13 2007 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Angel wrote:
How do you keep up with the kids, daily maintenance, *and* organizing projects?
Three Plus Two

It's the million dollar question!
I do about 30 minutes at night after dc are in bed.

Also, whenever dh "takes" them OUT, even if just for a 15 minute walk. I am trying to convince dh to do the zoo this Saturday. That will help a lot.

In the summer, I trade kids/babysitting with a neighbor. So that gives me about 2 hours once a week during productive morning hours.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

CatholicMommy wrote:
I'm considering giving away the discovery toys one, but I just can't seem to do it - and I'm able to get rid of so much else!

I have had mine since my dd (now 11) was 5 months ond I couldn't bear to part with them, I used to sell DT many moons ago and have slowly trickled things out as gifts or to St. Vincent, but there's still a few items that are just too good to give away.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Angel wrote:
Also -- how much time a day do you all spend on these sorts of projects? My toddlers are getting up between 5:45 and 6:30, and I might be lucky to get 30 minutes to myself in the afternoon. Nobody goes to bed until around 9:30 PM, and by then I'm zonked. The kids have started being really grumpy and bickering a lot, largely because I've pared down our routine to do some of these things, and they need more structure. How do you keep up with the kids, daily maintenance, *and* organizing projects?

I am trying to weed out and sell unused saleable curriculum and then just giving away to either the library or St Vincent stuff I don't want anymore.

This is the story of my life too, I have no adult help during the week (dh out of town) and can only enlist my oldest (dd) for so long with the toddler without feeling like I'm infringing on her too much So, it's really in fits and spurts right now. I'm going to beg my dh to take the kiddos on a nice long hike tomorrow (if he can) so I can tackle the beast of stuff, problem is, I don't know yet whether I should be packing for another move or setting it up here...I feel for you especially since you have double the *dumpers/flingers*
Blessings!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2007 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Kristin

CatholicMommy, I'm with you and Meredith on keeping your DT nesting cups! I almost got them when ds was a toddler and would still like to get them. They do have their own learning value that is different than nesting cubes, Pink Tower and even Matreshka dolls!

As for how to find time to get to organizing projects, it helps so much to hear other's tips and ideas on this!     It's nice to know we're all in the same boat. We should start a "So-Much-to-Do, So-Little-Time" support group!!! I find this particularly challenging (and frustrating) and humor goes a long way in helping me keep my sanity here!

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Angel wrote:
My fling-fling-dump tag team recently got into a few of my closets because their siblings left the doors open, and flung and dumped a lot of the stuff I had already organized. This is probably an indication that I need to consolidate all our learning stuff in ONE place.

Oh, this is so frustrating, isn't it? It's happened to me so many times...I'm actually in the process of consolidating everything into three side-by-side closets with shelves that dh built. Unfortunately I've been at it for about three weeks now, with no end in sight. I've almost finished moving/de-cluttering/purging everything in my livingroom and one of the two rooms we're using for storage in our thus-far unused basement. It's overwhelming to look at what's left to be done (a whole room!!) but it really does feel good to at least be making some progress. My goal is to finish by August.

Angel wrote:
About the simplifying, though... where do you all keep the boxes of stuff that's supposed to go out the door?

I keep mine right beside me (in the room I'm in) while I'm working so that I can keep the kids out of them.

Angel wrote:
I have to sort everything on the dining room table, and the only place for me to put boxes as I'm working on them is behind our hearth gate. That means our hearth is always stacked full of junk.

But that's okay, right? It will look beautiful again when you're finished! (That's what I tell myself, anyway )

Angel wrote:

It goes to friends or I try to give it away. But if it's redundant and I don't need it, even if I've invested time gathering it during my ps teaching years, if I can't give it to someone who needs it, to the trash it goes.

Angel wrote:
Also -- how much time a day do you all spend on these sorts of projects?

Too much. It's been difficult these past few weeks, with all the painting, flooring and shelving going up, but I have to use dh when there's a lull at our farm market and I have to work hard while I'm not trying to teach every day and while I'm not pregnant! I've explained to the kids that this summer will be a busy one for Mommy, but that when we're through they'll have a new place for learning and playing ...and we're still managing to get some time in at the pool and for picnics and the beach and such.

Angel wrote:
How do you keep up with the kids, daily maintenance, *and* organizing projects?

Eh-hmmmmmm. Well, there's play dough at the table (with the 2yo in a highchair she hasn't figured out how to climb out of). The big kids get to play while I work (at a little table in the same room as me) and the baby bounces in the buggy. I've used the Pack N' Play to jail my fling-and-tosser (with some toys in there, of course ) and I've used videos, library books and books on tape (they have to lay on their blankies and not get off during these). I've assigned tasks like, the 7 and 6yo had to build a road yesterday using all of their large construction blocks (took them 1/2 hour to plan it and build it and then they played with it!)... the 4yo had to use his watercolors to fill a whole piece of white paper with his artwork... the 6yo cleaned and organized his playdough tubes (he loves this kind of thing)...the 7yo was in charge of bringing all art supplies downstairs and helping me dump them into tubs...

As for daily maintenance, my laundry piles up for a few days and then I manage to get caught up about every fourth day or so. I'm not sure if this is "productive" or not, but it's the best I can do for now. Dinners have been lots of salads and fresh fruit (little prep time) and I haven't been online for a few weeks (I so miss it when I have to be away from these boards for too long!) I have to stop working during the days to feed the baby and try to read to the kids then or sit on the floor and interact with them since they get crazy for my attention... I wish I could say it was easy, but it is so hard. Sometimes I feel like throwing in the towel and quitting for a month or so and then going back to it, but that would just prolong the chaos, and I'm of a just-get-through this! mentality right now. ... I can't wait to relax in our new learning environment and watch the leaves change color this fall from "new" old windows in our home.

Hang in there Angela! We can do it!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

What an inspiring post Krisitne, you certainly have your little chickies lined up right!! Can I come to your house to play Well, I'm off to organize and purge!! Wish me luck!

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2007 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote Kristin

Keep up to great work everyone!             

Just a little cheer leading here!

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I still cannot see the page, would one of you dear ladies please post a direct link for me
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 13 2007 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Kristin wrote:

Keep up to great work everyone!             

Just a little cheer leading here!

Kristin - you made my day! You're such a sweetie!

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

chicken lady wrote:
I still cannot see the page, would one of you dear ladies please post a direct link for me

Above, Jo posted this link: http://members.optusnet.com.au/monthome/index.htm

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Mine too Kristine!! Bless you!

Eleanor
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2007 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote Eleanor

Well, I just started with the back yard. It's more of a play area than a "Montessori" area, and most of the items are plastic, so I figured it would be less painful to get rid of things.   

Here's what's going:

- Plastic duplicates of wooden toys we have indoors (the wooden ones are much more popular): bead frame, pounding bench, ring stacker, shape sorter, workbench & tools
- Big bag of snap beads (children were never interested in snapping them together; they just get strewn everywhere)
- Push toy with built-in shape sorter (basically a dirt & slime collector )
- Vintage Fisher-Price ride-on toy (my toddlers have been much too tall for it; were people smaller in the 60's???)
- Broken sand toys, excess plastic containers, boats that don't float properly (DH will miss those... he loves to make the little men say, "We're taking on water, captain!" )

They still have a lot of stuff: a sandbox (with shovels, sifters, pails, trucks, and Little People), water table (with funnels, cups, water wheel, and tiny boats), climber with slide, teeter-totter, ride-on toy, pedal toy with trailer, Lego toddler table with Quatro bricks, and a big bucket of balls. Oh, and the infamous Fisher-Price corn popper, which they've rediscovered with much delight.   But the significant thing is that all of these toys fit in with the intended purpose of the yard -- i.e., as a place for the children to run around, let off steam, and play in creative and open-ended ways. Until today's clear-out, I hadn't realized how much I'd let it turn into a dumping ground for "educational toys" that weren't worth keeping in the house.

I'm tempted to get rid of the Lego table as well, as it's too short for all but the tiniest toddlers, and we already have plenty of Duplo indoors... but it does get used, and it comes in handy during parties and playgroups. Still, it will be next in line for the chopping block, if I decide things are still too cluttered.

Now that I've got started, I'm in the right frame of mind to tackle the indoor stuff.   
Back to Top View Eleanor's Profile Search for other posts by Eleanor

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2007 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

Funny how those pictures have inspired us all to clean out!

Vicki
Back to Top View Land O' Cotton's Profile Search for other posts by Land O' Cotton

Eleanor
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2007 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote Eleanor

Land O' Cotton wrote:
Funny how those pictures have inspired us all to clean out!

Vicki

I know what you mean... do you think we should write and thank them, or would it be taken the wrong way?

Back to Top View Eleanor's Profile Search for other posts by Eleanor

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version