Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: How Many COGS Presentations? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 11 2007 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

With the addition of all these great new materials, plus all the wonderful items we're fast and furiously making , how are you all planning to incorporate COGS presentations into your weekly plans?? Will you do more than one a week/month?

For those who have trained in this how much difference is there between the 3-6 range than for the 6-9? I have yet to purchase Moira's 6-9 album and wondered if someone can give me a *birdseye* view of the Table of contents

Looking forward to all replies

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 11 2007 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I thought someone had listed this on another thread.   Although maybe it was the 3-6 album.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

happymama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 11 2007 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote happymama

i started Moira's 3-6 suggested work with my son 1 1/2 years ago, and am still working on finishing them all. I present them as I get them done, trying to stay with the season. Eventually, though, I will have them all done and will just follow the liturgical calendar and focus on one season at a time.

It's a lot of work putting all the materials together. I've been lamenting this fact lately. Imagine if EVERY Catholic family in the world was given a packet of materials with their firstborn. Why should busy/pregnant/nursing moms be running around trying to find prints of a mustard tree or sewing a cloak for a pearl merchant?! Really, we need to get more grandma's involved in this, and I know that the parent learns and integrates the lesson as we make the materials ourselves, but I'm all for someone marketing packages of supplies for the basic presentations.
Back to Top View happymama's Profile Search for other posts by happymama

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I am going to try for weekly presentations. Don't know if my material-making will keep up, though, so we will alternate with other things, too.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 11 2007 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I shoot for 2/month. Sometimes it's more, sometimes less. Depending on my material making also.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 11 2007 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I would agree with Theresa that one presentation a week is a good pace. We need to allow time for the Holy Spirit to teach the child; this usually happens best when we allow the child to continue working with the presentation until he/she is satisfied, as well as to encourage a prayerful, receptive atmosphere. In training I was told, "The catechist presents the material and then steps back and allows the Holy Spirit to teach the child." Remembering this helps me to remain calm even when I look around the Atrium and see *so many works and so little time."

Hope that helps.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

We have at least one sit-down presentation each week, but sometimes it's review of past ones - either just simple review or going a bit deeper with it. Our atrium is available almost all of the time, so the children have plenty time for meditation.

I look at the liturgical calendar each year and divide up the presentations accordingly, without a set week to do them - I'm less likely to feel behind this way.

I have the training and have not yet seen Moira's albums, though one of these days I really want to look to see how they compare.

re: the merchant: The merchant we use is a 2d piece of cardboard glued into a small slit I cut into a thicker piece of cardboard - then I just outlined him (haven't painted him yet). His house is a baby cereal box with the back cut off, and one spot cut so it opens and closes like a door. No table or anything yet. The pearls are pearl beads hotglued into tiny wood flowerpots I found at Michael's, while the glue was still warm I inserted a wire thread for the handle - and I did paint the pots brown (hopefully to look like baskets). In all, I think it took me 10-15 minutes (once I had everything in place).

I like the idea of clothing on some of the figures, but then the children want to take the clothes off and the focus is ruined (at my house anyway). So I've gone back to no cloth clothing, it's painted on.
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thank you and it's good to see some of us doing the same presentations and taking them deeper. This is my concern about whether or not I need ANOTHER album or if I can beef up my 3-6 as my children learn and grow and work with the presentations. I know with the Mass Kit presentations all of my dc from 5yo to 11yo have astonished me with what they talk about and discuss with each other after working and during the work. (I'm going to slowly bring the 2yo in on our sessions).

Good food for thought here, anyone else??

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

happymama wrote:
It's a lot of work putting all the materials together. I've been lamenting this fact lately. Imagine if EVERY Catholic family in the world was given a packet of materials with their firstborn. Why should busy/pregnant/nursing moms be running around trying to find prints of a mustard tree or sewing a cloak for a pearl merchant?! Really, we need to get more grandma's involved in this, and I know that the parent learns and integrates the lesson as we make the materials ourselves, but I'm all for someone marketing packages of supplies for the basic presentations.

Hmm, wonder why Our Father's House hasn't jumped on this one yet?? It would be such a nice compliment to their site and incentive, IMO, to buy along with the albums!! I'd buy one in a minute, even though I know there is alot of benefit from making them yourself! Perhaps a new home-based business for someone just sitting around, anyone

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 11 2007 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Meredith,
I'm in the same boat you are, using the 3-6 album with kids from 2-almost 11. I completed 4 presentations last year, and I thought they went great. Each child astonished me by what they "got" from the presentation. I had read in "The Good Shepherd and the Child" about how children of different ages take different things from the same parable, and I found that to be so true.

I'm planning on covering the 3-6 album this year, following the liturgical year. I like the pace of one lesson per week, although some lessons do seem to call out for lingering on them for a couple of weeks. So, I'll be flexible there. If we finish up the album, I may buy the 6-9 album before the end of the year.

I second the idea for a kit!!! I would pay for that in a new york minute 'cause right now, I am out of time and energy for crafting. I hope that will change in a few weeks! Maybe I'm just a little overly hormonal right now. Who wants to start the business? I'll be your first customer!   

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

This will be our first time using COGS (using Moira's book for 3-6 year olds). I am aiming for 2/month. I seriously, totally, and completely agree that it would seem so much less intimidating and do-able if I could get all the materials in a nice package. That is my biggest hesitation with this program.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 11 2007 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

I have both albums, but only aim to do one a year- this year I did 6-9 so next year I'll do 3-6 following the liturgical year. I think it is about 2 presentations a month.
I will post the 6-9 table of contents when my baby isn't sleeping in the room with the album! There is some overlap- the advent presentations are the same just more in depth. It also includes presentations on the liturgical calendar, lenten presentations on the ministry of Jesus and the Last Supper (and the Eucharistic presence of the Good Shepherd), and a series of presentations on the parts of the Mass- much more detailed than the 3-6, ending with a presentation of a large chart with cards for all the parts of the Mass. I thought this was great for my First Communicant this year! And honestly I learned so much about the Mass- the lessons are SO deep! I really love both albums.
I agree about the materials kit- I had the same wish! I love COGS but don't often recommend it to others b/c of the intense prep work, even for me a rather crafty montessori type

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 11 2007 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Here is the 6-9 TOC

Solar Calendar
Liturgical Calendar

Advent and Christmas:
Advent Wreath
Isaiah's Prophecy
Micah's Prophecy
The Annunciation
The Visitation
The Shepherds and the Christ Child
Epiphany
Articles on The Jesse Tree and O' Antiphons

Lent and Easter:
Jesus in the Wilderness
Jesus and Zacchaeus
Jesus and Bartimaeus
Palm Sunday
The Last Supper
The Eucharistic Presence of the Good Shepherd
Articles: Seder Meal/Seder Outline

Studying the Mass:
Preparing the Altar for Mass
Preparing the Credence Table
The Mystery of Faith
Consecration I and II
Invocation of the Holy Spirit
Doxology and the Great Amen
The True Vine and the Presentation of the Gifts
The Synthesis of the Mass
Illustrated Parts of the Mass

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thank you so much Andrea, I really apprecitate being able to see this in print! I am prayerfully considering whether I need this one yet, I have alot on my plate right now and am not preparing anyone for a Sacrament this next year, so I feel like I want to just take these presentations slow enough so that the Holy Spirit can do His work in my dc Thanks so much again for the listing!!

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 11 2007 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

I would also add that the presentations in the 6-9 book are definitely weightier than the 3-6. I think a 6 year-old would be a bit young for the presentations.

happymama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 12 2007 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote happymama

i've seen albums of those who went through COGS training, and i own Moira's. The training (shall i say, "official"?) albums are huge & gorgeous & detailed... but doing the work for myself at home just for my own children right now, i certainly prefer Moira's "basics" editions. I do wish there were more instructions for her materials; I take liberty with them after reflecting on the passages sometimes.

I didn't mean to sound bitter at all about the amount of work involved, I do enjoy making things and my boys enjoy the anticipation of watching me slowly put something together. I have loved every single presentation we've done, and I just wish that every family could enjoy these presentations together. Not only do our children learn from them, but the - ahem - resident experts in the home do, too!

That's why i wish some of the more difficult-to-obtain materials could be purchased. Not to replace the time putting things together, just to speed up the prep work. And I would love to start such a business, but because i haven't had any formal training, I think it might be a bit haughty of me to provide something and call it COGS material... Not to mention trademark or copyright issues? In fact when i told some trained catechists about Moira's album, they were astonished to learn that such a thing could be purchased.
Back to Top View happymama's Profile Search for other posts by happymama

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2007 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thanks for sharing your feelings about this here, and I am certain no one thinks you are being bitter about it. We all have so much on our plates as home educators that it would be so nice if some of these seemingly trifle items were ready made. I think the Holy Spirit will guide you in your process here and for sure give you some peace of mind to know that you are not alone in feeling like there's so much to do sometimes and where to start. You're doing a great job for your family, just with your decision to home school!! I applaud you, cause I know the feelings well
Blessings!

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2007 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Regarding materials, many of the wood pieces are available from one or more places, but the prices are not low enough for me to be able to purchase them, though they are quite reasonable prices (my atrium budget is less than my Montessori budget, and that is miniscule! Hence we've done much cardboard, cardstock, felt/foam when it's donated to us or on sale). The items are unpainted, but are cut, sanded, and ready to go, and would perhaps save some time?

When I go for wood, I have to make it myself at my friend's farm - I can vouch that the prices charged by the above mentioned places are entirely reasonable!

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll go look them up (we're moving and packing - but that box is still open... somewhere! I'd love to share though, so let me know).

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2012 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

CatholicMommy wrote:

re: the merchant: The merchant we use is a 2d piece of cardboard glued into a small slit I cut into a thicker piece of cardboard - then I just outlined him (haven't painted him yet). His house is a baby cereal box with the back cut off, and one spot cut so it opens and closes like a door. No table or anything yet. The pearls are pearl beads hotglued into tiny wood flowerpots I found at Michael's, while the glue was still warm I inserted a wire thread for the handle - and I did paint the pots brown (hopefully to look like baskets). In all, I think it took me 10-15 minutes (once I had everything in place).

I was searching for the TOC of Moira's albums and I found this thread - and this past posting I did. This merchant was made in 2004 or so. And I *JUST* retired him this past month - I wrote a blog post about his "retirement". :) Catholic Hearts - Blog

And this merchant was in use in a home atrium and 3 different parish atriums. His poor little hand that holds the baskets and shell started flapping... He was waving "good-bye!"

So just a note that cardboard works *great*.

(PS I never did paint him)

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 09 2012 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

CatholicMommy wrote:
His poor little hand that holds the baskets and shell started flapping... He was waving "good-bye!"

So just a note that cardboard works *great*.

That is so funny. It's great to hear updates to old recommendations like this.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version