Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Dumping Latin? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 09 2007 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

We have been homeschooling for 11 years. We have not finished one successful year of Latin. We have tried English from the Roots Up, Henle Latin, Prima Latina and Latina Christiana. I guess I don't find it interesting, the kids complain and it just gets pushed aside. We even tried the PL DVDs last year as a family but couldn't get past the woman's accent.

So, is it even important? I want the children to know their prayers and root words and such. But, other than that, is it necessary or should we try another language?

If you strongly feel that Latin is a must, can you suggest another approach? Rosetta Stone? Latin's Not So Tough? Others?

Thanks.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Devoted
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 09 2007 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote Devoted

Well, I do think Latin is important particularly in light of the broadening of the English language and increased familiarity with and easier command of foreign (especially romance) languages. Having said that, I don't think every one is cut out to master languages. Some people are just not wired that way.

About it being boring . . . Well, we've only done Prima Latina, the prayers of the Rosary, and a few read-alouds (and stretched it out for 2 years). We really liked it over all -- learning the prayers and read-louds -- but found the actual Latin book tedious. We didn't hate it, but we just weren't thrilled with it. That made the fun parts all the more important.

Instead of going on to LC1 we're switching programs to Latin for Children. It looks so much more fun. It still has a text book with drill, et c but the teaching DVD looks entertaining (in a way that the PL lady was dry and boring) and the activity book has lots of fun activities like mazes, maps, crosswords, riddles, et c. It also has a reader that the student starts reading at about half-way through the text.

This just looks fun to us. But then, we like Latin.

Good luck with your decision!
Back to Top View Devoted's Profile Search for other posts by Devoted

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 09 2007 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

I think Latin is very important. It's a logical, highly inflected language that is used in Church documents and Church history as well as many other fields.

If you're willing to try something different for Latin yet again, maybe check out this string on Lone Pine's classical Latin program. I am going to give it a try this year after feeling a little flat on Latina Christiana. The first week or two are free to try it, so that's what we're going to do, starting this fall and just see if this approach is a little more engaging.

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2007 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

teachingmyown wrote:

So, is it even important? I want the children to know their prayers and root words and such. But, other than that, is it necessary or should we try another language?

Hi Molly,

Good questions. Time to pray & check out some of the old threads here as there's quite a bit of info in the Classical section particularly.

Personally, I do think Latin is important especially in light of "Motu Proprio" , however every family is different and must respond to what God calls them to. Reading "The Latin-Centered Curriculum" might be a good place to start. That book really helped me to simplify and streamline our curriculum so that I wasn't always so overwhelmed. Also, Memoria Press has some very good articles on their website about the importance of Latin.

For the record, I do not have a latin background. We've done LC I for several years with our eldest 2 and now they are both doing LC II pretty much on their own with the dvd as well as the Memoria Press courses (which I'm so greatful for!). Next year our oldest starts Henle I with the Memoria Press course. I'm considering Lively Latin with our 8-year-old dd. It looks like alot of fun!

One thing that we've done that has been very helpful is to pray the Rosary in Latin. We learned our prayers very quickly that way! Also it helps if you can get to a Latin Mass or at least a Mass that has some of the prayers and hymms in Latin.

I hope I was helpful in some way! Hopefully some more experienced moms will be able to chime in.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2007 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Hi Elizabeth,

Looks like we posted at the same time. I can't believe I missed this thread on Lone Pine. There are a few people over at the LCC Yahoo group who rave about the Orberg book. Please let us know how it goes as it looks excellent.

Brenda (mom to 6)

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2007 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

My philosophy about Latin has changed over the years. As an adolescent it was about Latin being "impressive" -- the kids I met that knew Latin just seemed "different" and I wanted to emulate them. Then when we started homeschooling the classical education appealed to me because I didn't have one and thought it was the "best" I could offer to my children. We've tried 4 different Latin programs through the years. The thing that made it click for me was defining the goal. I think it was someone on CCM (or maybe CCE) who asked me what my goal was in teaching/learning Latin -- at the time I thought Latin was a lost cause around here and so I was happy to just have the children learn some Latin songs and know a few Latin words. So Lingua Angelica sufficed for a while.

My kids are older now, and after reading TJE, LCC and CP, the goal is much clearer. I have been able to redefine for myself why I want a classical education for the kids. Latin is no longer "something nice" to add to the curriculum. Because Mom's gotten serious about it the kids have started feeling the same way.

It's also more fun, now that we do it as a group and everyone gets to participate; the kids also take turns "teaching". At the very least our goal is to be able to participate in the Latin Mass -- loftier goals include being able to read/translate the Latin Vulgate and at least a few other Latin classics...

So I guess what I'm saying is you first need to define WHY you want or don't want Latin in your curriculum -- everything else follows.

How old are your kids? If they can quiz each other and make fun games out of it you may find that the enjoyment level is increased.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 09 2007 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Brenda, I have to tell you, I almost feel like a traitor trying anything other than Memoria Press Latin programs. I have been singing the Latina Christiana praises forever. However, Latin was losing a little of the "fun" that it used to have for us (not that everything in life must be fun , and I just drooled when I read the Lone Pine description. So we shall see.

Lone Pine is classical pronunciation, not ecclesiastical, which is a slight drawback from my perspective, but not insurmountable. I learned classical Latin in high school and college, but attended a Latin Mass throughout those years and had no trouble with pronunciation differences between the two.

Remind me if I forgot to get back to you on how it's going a month or so into the fall semester.

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2007 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

ElizLeone wrote:
Brenda, I have to tell you, I almost feel like a traitor trying anything other than Memoria Press Latin programs. I have been singing the Latina Christiana praises forever.

Brenda (mom to 6)

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2007 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

stefoodie wrote:
I think it was someone on CCM (or maybe CCE) who asked me what my goal was in teaching/learning Latin....

This is very helpful to me, Stef. I used to think we would avoid Latin all together in favor of a modern language. However, Anthony reminds me about once a week that he wants to be a priest at the abbey where my brother lives. Latin is important to them, and I feel like avoiding Latin could be doing a disservice to his vocation. Seeing that as my goal has made me able to give Latin a dedicated place in our curriculum starting this year.   

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2007 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

The Orberg program is considered to be the best immersion option, but it is for older kids (jr. high and up) bc it moves so fast.
Along the same lines there is Minimus (2 books), for little kids. My kids devoured this!!!! It was a lot of fun.
There is also Ecce Romani (middle level).

The CHC little latin readers are similar or have similar elements. (I haven't bought them--yet!)

Hth
CK
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2007 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

I'm going to be using Getting Started With Latin this year, with boys grades 8 & 5. It was recommended to me by my MODG consultant. I'll be happy to let you know how it goes in a few months!    She's had good success with other students using it. And it's non-consumable.

Oh, and don't forget there's a Latin curriculum comparison chart at Homeschool Christian.

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2007 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

My kids that I am schooling are 11,9,7,5 and 4(along for the ride!).

I have been reading the LCC thread with interest. I had the book in my shopping cart at amazon.com on page one of the thread but had removed it by the end of the thread! I would still be interested in reading it, but I can't afford another method book just now, and most that I have read, I have ended up selling.

I had never really considered Latin right up there with Math. That is a new concept. I am not sure I agree, but I haven't read the book. I am wondering if I should just concentrate on my sixth grader and not bother with the younger ones now. Or do something minimal and fun? Honestly, they would much prefer a computer program that they could watch each other do than a DVD or workbook approach.

Those little books from CHC look nice. But I am so often disappointed by their products. Does anyone have them yet?

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

CKwasniewski
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2007 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote CKwasniewski

Molly,
You don't need to buy LCC. You are not there.... and probably shouldn't be! The main idea there (worth anything, imo) is 1) choose wisely and 2) that Latin is important bc it teaches you to think logically.

The Rosetta stone cds are very good--but it is classical pronunciation. (That's okay--it's not the end of the world.) If you want something you can just give your kids with nothing extra from you that's a good choice. You may be able to use their online courses, which are much less $$ than getting the cds.

Something minimal would be just learning some latin and greek roots for vocab.

I would definitely focus on this with just the 2 oldest--don't stress about it with the younger ones.

Blessings,
CK
Back to Top View CKwasniewski's Profile Search for other posts by CKwasniewski

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 10 2007 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote helene

Molly,

I took six years of Latin in my High school/college career. My husband teaches Latin and Theology for a local seminary. He uses Lingua Latina with my 13 year old and they seem to be getting along just fine. Before that we simply studied Latin and Greek root flashcards. I think the roots are the important thing to study..........but let's face it, Latin's hard! Latin's a pain!.....and Spanish looks like raucous fun!

Enjoy the day anyway,
Helene

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 10 2007 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

We never did get to Latin within our homeschool. I have no experience and we chose other priorities. Amazingly, my dd took a Latin I class with other homeschoolers this past year as a freshman and did very well. She is looking forward to Latin II. Her class is very competitive because most students had Latin experience during their primary years. Yet by mid-semester, she felt that they did not have an advantage over her as much and by the end of the year she felt "caught up." So...where there is a will, there is a way, and when there is an interest and an opportunity, Latin can happen later for a student. Or, this could be a giant excuse for me not doing Latin within our homeschooling in the past . Now dd may be interested in helping the boys...Life is good.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 10 2007 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote helene

Angie,

I don't think you're making excuses for never having "done Latin". I think you're a wise woman who knows what works. It is SO true that a willing student can catch up in no time (in any subject)! I always tell the kids to skip any math problems involving the metric system (beyond meters and centimeters), if they land a job someday where they need to know how many decaliters are in a hectometer or whatever, They'll learn it then in under an hour. Thank you for writing about your experience with Latin.

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 11 2007 at 12:10am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I wanted ds to learn Latin b/c I took it in high school and have always been glad I did. Even though I took it primarily to learn roots, etc. (going into a medical profession) the order and logic was what kept me interested in it. It makes SO much more sense than English does. And I found that after 2 yrs of hs latin, French was incredibly easy, both b/c of the similar roots and more importantly, the grammar.
We started in 6th grade with Latina Christiana but never made it through the book. I thought it was OK but ds hated listening to the CD's. He did manage to learn some vocabulary and memorize a few prayers but didn't get any grammar from it. In 7th grade we used The Latin Road to English Grammar since I was also discovering how little grammar he'd learned in public school (up to 5th grade). We both really liked LREG; it is very orderly and logical in its presentation. And, as the title says, it does explain English grammar as it goes along. By the end of the year, though, he was getting a bit overwhelmed with the various tenses so this past year we took a break and have done Spanish instead, since we have a lot of Hispanics near us and he wanted to learn something more immediately "useful." (also, he went to Guatemala at Christmas with my MIL and came back determined to learn the language). I'm learning spanish along with him and we both find it much easier since we've had Latin. we'll continue Spanish but I'd like to add latin back in next year, albeit at a slower pace. I may have pushed him too hard last year; we did Latin every single day. Maybe 2 days of Latin and 3 days of Spanish would be good. But we will definitely use LREG again. I would probably not recommend it for younger than 6th grade, though, and even then at a slower pace.

karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 11 2007 at 1:32am | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

I've considered finding a "fun" Latin program just to get my daughters interested in the language, but since my oldest dd struggles mightily with English grammar I really don't want to start a comprehensive Latin program yet, even though she'll be starting 7th grade in the fall. To be honest, I took Latin in high school and would never have survived learning the complex grammatical structure of the language if I'd learned it before I had a firm grasp of English grammar.

I'd agree that deciding on goals is important. Mine, should I do anything before high school, would be to introduce them to some Latin vocabulary words, to teach them some simple prayers, and maybe to do some translation of songs like "Panis Angelicus" that we sing together in our parish choir (they were pretty intrigued with my admittedly rough translation of "Pueri Hebraeorum" on Palm Sunday).

I guess I tend to think of grade school as a time to introduce languages in general, to dabble a bit in both ancient and modern languages when you can, and to enjoy it as much as possible. Then, in high school, when the time comes to study a language more seriously there will hopefully be more enthusiasm for the language despite the admitted level of hard work necessary for any kind of fluency or mastery.

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 5:17am | IP Logged Quote mariB

I wanted to "throw out" Latin too. We are doing Lone Pine this year(from Elizabeth in Wisconsin's recommendation).

In Latin Centered Curriculum, Andrew says, "You wouldn't stop math because you thought it was too difficult would you?"(completely paraphrased) Well that got me!

Another reason is because it is the language of the church and the pope is encouraging Latin back into the mass.

My 2 cents. (Which I got from 3 different sources:)

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2007 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Molly,

We too have struggled with Latin. We "made" it through LC 1. I say made it because we didn't get much out of it. The kids can't stand it, but I want them to learn it. We have attended the Latin Mass for 7 years so they know all of the prayers in Latin and my boys serve so they can speak the prayers. They actually know more than I thought when we discussed doing Latin again. They have learned a lot being immersed in it, but I want to do the rest of MP Latin with them. We will see. With a large family, (and them being so unwilling) I don't know if I can make it a priority. I have told them that since they are familiar with Latin, it might be best to study it for their 2 years for HS language. They thought that was reasonable but no one wants to do it before that time.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version