Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Underweight Boys? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 07 2007 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Willa

My older boys consistently come in below the 5th percentile for their BMI -- height to weight ratio for their age.   They otherwise seem pretty healthy.   

Their BMI stays on a low normal track up to adolescence and then drops off the low end of the chart.   

Does anyone else have this issue?

I should add that I come from a tall, skinny family and several of my kids take after my side.

I just worry because .... well, you know. Because.

One of them is a healthy eater and the other is a bit on the picky side and has a habit of skipping meals.

Any health tips or experience to share?   I try to make sure the picky eater is supplied with pb sandwiches and protein drinks.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2007 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

No advice, but I'm interested in hearing replies. My oldest ds sounds just like your boys. My nephew was the same way. Sis' had him drink protein shakes. He is an sdult now, and he is still tall and wiry.

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 08 2007 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote helene

People tell my 8y.o. son that he could serve as an anatomy lesson in medical school because you can practically see all his internal organs through his skin (NOT true).....but I do admit he is a rail. He eats a ton! His Uncles were all like that and grew into large, husky, healthy men. There isn't much you can do about genes. Besides, during adolescence their bodies are growing so fast it's hard to eat enough calories to keep up. When they are 40 or 50 they will probably be looking at trying to lose weight....having experienced decades of health beforehand. But I would love to know if someone here successfully fattened up a skinny, active, picky-eater and what did it!

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 08 2007 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Willa,

My oldest ds is 5'8" and weighs 94 lbs. He is on the extreme low end of the charts. The doctor told me that if he is eating well (he is picky but eats a few good things) and feeling well, then it isn't a problem.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Donna
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2007 at 5:06am | IP Logged Quote Donna

I've got one too. Jackson is very thin and getting taller by the day. My husband was also very thin as a teen (his nickname was "Bones"). Jack eats well and often (almost constantly) throughout the day, so I don't worry about it. Thinking he just takes after his dad .

Jacob, Sam, and Regina with God
Grandbabies Leigha and Elsie

Moments Like These

Back to Top View Donna's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Visit Donna's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Willa I have one dd like this, I was like this, not now I assure you
My side of the family is very tall, I am 6', my uncle is 6'7, my brothers all well of 6' (I have one brother 6' and he is referrred to as a shrimp) My point is.....do I have one    Oh yea, my dd eats the same foods, actually more food, she snacks all day long and in her swim suit it is sort of embarrassing she is so thin. However my other 2 dds are rather "solid". I have to keep encouraging them to eat fruit, to keep them in shape, I worry they will become over weight very quickly left unchecked. So why is this???? Genetics! Be at peace, do your best, which I feel confident you do, and rest in knowing somethings are not up to us. It has helped me in my perception of my weight and not assuming about other peoples weight issues. So often it is not the food, but rather genetics at play.
Off to swim team to work off some more french fries
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2007 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote Willa

LLMom wrote:
My oldest ds is 5'8" and weighs 94 lbs. He is on the extreme low end of the charts. The doctor told me that if he is eating well (he is picky but eats a few good things) and feeling well, then it isn't a problem.

That's like my son.   He is 5'11" and weighs 114 pounds. His doctor wasn't overly concerned either. Like your son, he does eat mostly quality food when he does eat.   

My dad was 6'1" and weighed 126 pounds all through his twenties. Of course, now, he has to watch his weight just like everybody else. That reassures me that the main thing is developing healthy living habits.

It's nice to hear we're not the only ones!

Take Up and Read

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2007 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote Willa

chicken lady wrote:
It has helped me in my perception of my weight and not assuming about other peoples weight issues. So often it is not the food, but rather genetics at play.

Good point.
When one of my kids at 8 years old broke his leg and was in the hospital, the dietician came in to check him out because they had weighed and measured him and he came in so far down on the chart.    She was reassured by his bright eyes and energy level and the fact that he told her he liked to eat 6 tacos at one sitting

I have a brother who is 6'6" -- my mom is 5'10" -- I am the tiny one in my family at 5'8"!   I was also the only one who WASN'T extremely skinny, but finally that has changed a bit as my brothers hit middle age.   They have to work at their weight more than I do now.

Take Up and Read

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version