Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Summer Cooking Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 13 2005 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I cook very differently in the summer, as I'm sure most of you do, too. I'd love to hear what you do at your home.

The Food Section of the Washington Post had some great ideas for summer cooking:

Lemon Chicken, ready in 30 minutes. From the Washington Post

Pasta salads Some of these recipes cover Elizabeth's question of meatless meals (under Costco cooking). I use Tinkyada brown rice pasta as a substitute for wheat and we find little or no difference.

I grill all the time...and I use Rachel Ray's quick marinade for my chicken breasts or thighs. It only takes 15 minutes to marinade (when I don't have time) and it's quite tasty. Dh loves this. Marinated No-Mystery Meats. This can also be used for pork chops and steaks. During the winter I'll cook this on the stove, but summer it goes on the grill! It's better than using Italian salad dressing as a marinade.

I've been making lots of different salads. Twelve Months of Monastery Salads has tons of ideas, and very healthy.

I also do a lot of fresh fruit, but I'm starting another thread about that!!!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2005 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I missed the Lemon Chicken when I skimmed the Post this morning, glad I didn't recycle it yet.

I get so bogged down in the summer with swim meets, soccer and dh traveling it is hard to motivate myself to cook!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 13 2005 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, just got this great link from Williams Sonoma with some summer ideas.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2005 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

My favorite summer recipes seem to come from Cooking Light magazine, or online if you want. They have so many great grilling recipes and easy/simple/few ingredient type meals that it makes my life much easier and they are healthy to boot. I'm pretty sure their website is www.cookinglight.com Happy cooking

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2005 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

Okay all you foodies... you've made me have to hook up this printer and get to printing out all these good recipes!

DH and kids picked about a gallon and a half of blueberries at my sister's house today so I'm going to make a blueberry crisp tomorrow from that Williams-Sonoma link. Yum!

Do any of you use stevia to sweeten? I badly need to lose lots of weight so I've got to really cut back on sugar. I've done awful since moving ... I'm a bad stress-eater.

Love,
JoAnna, very rollie-pollie these days...

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2005 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Growing up, when it was *too hot to eat, but you had to anyway*, we all LOVED American Antipasto (my mom Americanized this for us ).

She'd cut up some lettuce (or tear for those of you who don't cut lettuce).    You can mix greens any way you like.

On the lettuce, she'd put:
*a can of tuna, drained (or two for a big family)
*several types of cheese (American, swiss, mozzerella,
              any are fine), cut in strips
*several types of lunchmeat (salami, ham, turkey), cut
              in strips (any meats are fine)
*garbanzo/chi chi beans
*assorted strips of veggies (carrots, red peppers, green
              peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, any are fine)
*cut up hard boiled eggs

You'd make up your own antipasto, and use whatever dressing you wanted (ranch, italian, whatever)

She'd serve with:
*dinner rolls and butter (could serve with any breads,
      including garlic bread)
*cottage cheese

You could certainly serve this with any cut up fruits as well, or fruit salad, or a fruit bar with cut up melons and fruits with a yogurt dipping sauce. ;o)

Just some ideas, you can add your own, and delete what you don't like. This was GREAT, especially when it was too hot to cook, and it was pretty easy to make. It'd even be fun to have the family all make it together.   

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 15 2005 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

You ladies are all so wonderful! I plan to seve my hubby a sandwich tonight and retire to the family room to watch Law and Order SVU reruns. Maybe next week I will cook him a fabulous summer meal!!
Love the antipasto recipe! That looks very easy and delicious.

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version