Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Posture Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 24 2007 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Does anyone have any solutions for poor posture? Any supportive garments, or shoes, exercises, etc?

I have always had poor posture, as does my mother and her mother did before her. I want to try to correct it now before it gets worse. And since I am pregnant, I suffer from progressively worse back pain as the months go by.

Anyone hear of Earth Shoes? I saw them advertised in Foot Smart Magazine claiming to correct poor posture. Pretty pricey, though.

Thanks for your help!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Maturemomg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 24 2007 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote Maturemomg

EARTH SHOES!
Hey from my years as a wannbe hippie! (Like what, the 1970s??)
They are/were similar to Birkenstocks. The heel bed is "dropped" supposedly to help posture. Never had a pair, so I don't know....

I DO know of a product I bought long ago and then sold at a garage sale and then last year paid $65 to get another. It is called a Nada chair and is GREAT for back support at places like horse shows or sports games where you spend hours sitting on a bleacher. I know you can order and check them out on-line.
(And I am a cheapskate and rarely spend $65 on something like that. But I knew I woudl be spending lots of hours this year at horse shows and it is well worth it. I let people who ask try it- it is a portable pad-type device, not big and bulky or anything and they ALL want to buy one. Of course that is often after they have been sitting on the bleachers for an hour!)

Good luck. Posture IS important for ALL our body systems to function optimally.
Yours in Christ,
Kathy
Back to Top View Maturemomg's Profile Search for other posts by Maturemomg

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2007 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

+JMJ+

I have poor posture too...learned from being about a foot taller than everyone may age for the first 15 years of my life!

The T-tapp excercise program is really good. I followed the 15 minuit workout during lent and saw pretty good results. You can use it during pregnancy (they have a section on that) and it doesn't involove any jumping! There is also alot of focus on good posture...I probably noticed the biggest strides in this area.

Their are free excercises on the website. I brought the book, but I wouldn't necessairly do that. With that being said, if you could get if from the library and cursory read it it might be good (reads like an infomercial)

I hope that this helps...
Betsy

Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 25 2007 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Kathy -

I know those Earth Shoes you are talking about, but I'm not sure that the ones out now are related. I've seen them and they don't have that backward sloping heel.

Molly -

I struggle with posture also, because my shoulders and neck are very tight and tense from fibromyalgia and I tend to pull my shoulders up toward my ears. Shoes are a real help. Even though they are expensive, the Dansko professional clogs (they have closed backs) are wonderful. It takes a week or so to get used to them and you may have sore legs and back during those first few days. With those, though, I can't stand any way but the right way, as far as my back and pelvis position go. I think I bow my lower back too much (stick my b*tt out?) and that makes my back hurt. Wearing the Danskos I can't/don't do that.
About the neck and shoulder area, I learned in a yoga class to pull my shoulder blades down toward the ground and in toward my backbone at the same time. This greatly relieves the stress on my neck and shoulders.
I didn't realize I had so much to say about posture! , but I really notice my aches and cricks improve when I keep everything lined up better.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 25 2007 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Good chiropractic care can help.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2007 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

hylabrook1 wrote:
Shoes are a real help. Even though they are expensive, the Dansko professional clogs (they have closed backs) are wonderful.

I second this!!!!

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 25 2007 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

DS#2 had very poor posture when he was 4. I was skeptical when DH came home with a collar brace from the drug store but it really helped. Xavier loved his "power belt" and wore it under his shirt for a couple of weeks. It really helped teach him to keep his shoulders back.

I am trying to get into the habit of wearing the brace when at home until I end up getting a breast reduction.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 26 2007 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have poor posture (slumped shoulders), and it's aggravated by how I sit at the computer or do seat work.

I have something for my calligraphy but I use it for my computer and walking around the house, also, called Body Rite: The Posture Pleaser . I find it's training the muscles, so I can't wear it for long periods of time at first, but when I remember to wear it it prevents me from getting the neck and head aches and I'm definitely having better posture.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2007 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote doris

I'd recommend Pilates. If you get a good teacher, it can really improve your posture.

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2007 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Jenn, I am going to get the Posture Pleaser and give it a try.

Betsy, I am going to download some of the T-Tapp exercises to try out. I like that they have some geared towards pregnant women.

I can't afford a chiropractor or to take classes right now. Anyone have a favorite pre-natal pilates or yoga video? I had Yoga Mama a few pregnancies ago and couldn't believe how hard it was! They were doing moves at nine months pregnant that I couldn't do not pregnant!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 25 2008 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I posted about my posture helps here.

Molly, I can't believe that it was a year ago that you first posted this topic. Reading this at the time planted the seed for me to get back to working on my posture. I can also see that Betsy mentioned T-Tapp so it is *YOU* who I owe a big *THANK YOU* for sharing this program several times on the board...sometimes I need something brought to my attention more than once for it to click . I love T-Tapp!...and plan to write about it soon.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 25 2008 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Remember as well that you need to strengthen abdominal muscles as well as back muscles.. I've noticed after pregnancy the last couple of times that my back really hurts and then I remember that I have to use my stomach muscles as well and just do things like tightening them up whenever I happen to think about it and maybe some knee lifts (high stepping in place type of thing) and pretty soon the back pain goes away.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2008 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Okay, Angie, you had my clicking away last night checking out all of your links! A year later, I would have to say I am still in the same place, only not dealing with the pregnancy issues. I have a couple of different things designed to help with my posture. One is the back weights that Jenn had recommended. The other is something you lie on to stretch your back. I am not consistent about using either one. More often than not, the kids will have gotten a hold of them and I can't find them when I remember that I need to.

So which ONE thing, if you could only pick one, would you recommend?

Remembering Today

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2008 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

teachingmyown wrote:
And since I am pregnant,

I don't have any advice but I wanted to extend my congratulations!

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2008 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Maddie wrote:
teachingmyown wrote:
And since I am pregnant,

I don't have any advice but I wanted to extend my congratulations!

Maddie, I wrote this last year when I was expecting. My little guy is nine months and no new blessing is on the way so far (at least as far as I know! ). But thanks anyway!!!

Remembering Today

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 26 2008 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2008 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

teachingmyown wrote:

So which ONE thing, if you could only pick one, would you recommend?

One thing? T-Tapp (active)
Two thing? Nada Chair (passive)

I hope you find what works for you soon, Molly. It's tough, poor posture...like carrying the weight of the world on our shoulders without enough strength for the job .

Love,

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2008 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I didn't want to hi-jack this thread so I started a new one about T-Tapp here. Thanks!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version