Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: St. James the Apostle Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 09 2005 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Does anyone have any good ideas, recipes, suggestions for celebrating the Feast of St. James? He is the patron saint of Guatemala City were my ds was born. I wanted to do something special this year to celebrate his feast day. I've researched how they celebrate the day in Guatemala City but need some other ideas too.

Any input would be wonderful. TIA!!

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2005 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

This website shows different Christian symbols. Scroll down to find shields representing each of the twelve apostles. Perhaps you could make a craft based on the symbol of St. James.

Is it St. James the Greater or St. James the Less?

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 09 2005 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I'm assuming St. James, the Greater, since that feast is this month and he is listed as the patron of Guatemala.
Anyway, the Catholic Culture website has these suggstions:
St. James feast day

Also the El Camino de Santiago de Compostella - The Way of St. James of Compostella - is a sacred pilrimage route in northern Spain. Since we're probably not going to make it to Spain in a few weeks, we can make a virtual pilgrimage here:
Santiago de Compostella

Before your "pilgrimage" learn more about St. James and get your pilgrim's bag and staff blessed here (blessing prayers are in Spanish, though):
St. James info w/blessings

There is a short audio clip of chant recorded here of "Annua Gaudia" which is sung on the Feast.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2005 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Mary and Alice,

Thank you both for your responses. My dh is very happy b/c anything we can do to celebrate the church and our ds' culture is a huge for him!

We appreciate it!

Marybeth and Steve

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2005 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I took two Summer courses in Spanish at FUS. My teacher was a devout Catholic escaped from Cuba many years ago. But we were in session for the feast of St. James, and she was just crazy about explaining the traditions of Compostela. The biggest symbol of St. James, at least from the Spanish/pilgrimage aspect is the scalloped shell. All pilgrims traditionally carried a form of this shell. This would signal to people along the way to feed and shelter the pilgrims. I can think of a lot of ideas using the shell!

Here's more info on Compostela:

Colorful Multitudes Flock to Santiago De Compostela July 24, the eve of St. James' Day, is famous for the Fuego Del Apostol, a magnificent firework display on the Orbradoiro facade of the cathedral. Solemn' and splendid liturgical ceremonies occur in the cathedral on July 25, commemorating the saint's martyrdom. The large, impressive statue of St. James as a warrior is taken from the cathedral and carried through the streets. Further colorful and awesome celebrations are held on December 30, the commemoration of the removal of the remains to Spain.

St. James

Diocese of compostela

Santiago de Compostela: There used to be a website of the actual church, with live web cams, that had different languages. This is the famous church in Spain, many pilgrimages. It is also famous for its very large censer Botafumeiro that swings from one end to the church to the other, requiring 8 men to push it. City of Compostela Some of the webcams aren't operating, but there are live cams in the Cathedral, just dig in the site a bit.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2005 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Thanks Jenn!

I'm going to check out the sites right now!

Marybeth

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2005 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote momwise

I'll check out my Catholic cookbooks for recipe suggestions. In the meantime if anyone else has traditional favorites, please post.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 16 2005 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Marybeth,
What did you find about how it's celebrated in Guatemala? My dd's godmother and ds's godfather have a daughter from Guatemala. I'd love to share with them.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2005 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote momwise

A Book of Feasts and Seasons doesn't have a recipe but it does recommend a homemade grotto. The pilgrims traditionally built them to raise funds for their pilgrimage to Compostella. For a donation, people could light candles in the grottos and pray for the pilgrims.

You can make them as small or large as you want and they can be covered or decorated with sea shells. They are filled with candles, flowers, a Rosary, a statue of Mary. At one time they were left on the corner but I think today you'd want it by your gate or door. If the children do collect a donation for a candle it can be for charity.

I have a recipe for Sea Scallops in the Cook's Blessing but there's one here at Catholic Culture.com(also posted above) so I won't type it up.

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2005 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I know in Guatemala they celebrate by having Eucharistic Processions, festivals with fireworks, visit shrines/grottos and spend time with family. I guess because the feast day is in July the pictures of people celebrating in Guatemala made me think of July 4th celebrations in the US.
I can't wait until my church builds our St. Thomas Beckett adoration chapel. It would be wonderful to spend some time in adoration on this day.

I'll let you know what else I come up with.

Marybeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 19 2005 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Women for Faith and Family has a recipe for St. James from A Continual Feast.

I had a little time to go through my cookbooks and found some recipes. I'm sure there are more out there, but I thought this list might give some ideas. I was going to search the internet (but little ds might not cooperate) for the different forms of James. James is the English form of Jacob.

Spanish: Santiago, Iago, Diego, Jayme, or Jaime
Irish: Jaime, Seumas (pronounced Sham-us)
Italian: Giacomo
French: Jacques
Portuguese: Iago, Diogo
Catalan: Jaume
Jacqueline and Jacquette are feminine forms of the name.

Cooking With the Saints from Ignatius Press has several recipes for St. James, but none from Guatemala.
Coquilles Saint-Jacques Au Gratin (Broiled Scallops with Cheese)
St. Iago Pork Chops (Carribbean flavor)
Brochettes de Coquilles Saint-Jacques (Broiled Scallops on a Skewer)
Couqilles Saint-Jacques Au Safran (Scallops with Saffron Sauce)
Souffle Saint-Jacques
Cassolette de Saint-Jacques a la Normande (Scallops and Mussel Casserole)
Coquilles Saint-Jacques En Waterzooi (Flemish dish, scallops)
Coupe Saint-Jacques (Ice Cream Cup Saint James)
Tarta De Santiago (Tart of St. James)
Potage Saint-Jacques (Soup a la St. James)
Timbales De Coqueilles Saint-Jacques (Scallop Timbales)
Macqueraux Saint-Jacques (Mackerel with Scallops)
Coquilles Saint-Jacques Aurore (Scallops with Aurora Sauce)
Here's the easy dessert recipe:
Coupe Saint-Jacques
(Ice Cream Cup St. James)

fresh fruit in season
lemon sherbet

Put any mixture of fresh fruits in season in a parfait glass. Pear, grapefruit, orange and dark grapes or strawberries make a delicious combination.

Spoon the lemon sherbet over the fruit. Top with a spoonful of chocolate syrup, if desired.

This is a quick and easy dessert for summer.
I also found two in This Good Food by Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette: Scallops Saint Jacques from Brittany and
Green String Beans Saint Jacques
Haricots-Verts Saint-Jacques

1 pound green string beans
2 quarts water
4 red peppers (pimentos)
olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste

1. Wash and clean the fresh string benas. Bring 2 quarts water to boil in a large saucepan, add the beans, cover the pan, and continue boiling over medium heat until the beans are tender. Don't overdo it, for the beans must remain firm. Fresh beans from the garden will cook more quickly than beans from the market. When the beans are tender enough, drain them, and set them aside.

2. While the beans are boiling, clean the red peppers and cut them in half. Remove the seeds. Butter a flat baking dish, place th epppers on it, outside up, and press them flat to the dish. Place the dish under the broiler and thus cook the peppers until they are entirely roasted. Peel and slice them.

3. Pour olive oil into a large skillet, add the minced garlic and the roasted peppers, and saute them gently for about 1 to 2 mintues. Stir continually. Then add the beans and continue to stir over medium-low heat for another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and cover the pan until it is time to serve. Add salt and pepper according to taste. Serve hot.

Note: A rather unusual and yet delicious way of preparing fresh string beans. This dish can be served either as an appetizer or it can nicely accompany the main course of either fish, meat or eggs.
My Nameday, Come for Dessert says the traditional dessert for this feast is
Coupe St. Jacques
(July 25)

Two or three kinds of fruit with two or three kinds of ice cream neatly arranged in deep glasses, flavored with liqueur and garnished with whipped cream. This is a dessert for James, Jacqueline, Jacquette, Jaime, Seumas or Shamus.

The symbol of St. James the Great, the Apostle of Spain, is a scalloped shell, or a white horse with a white banner.

St. James' shield is red with three gold cockle or scallop shells, two above and one below, narrow end upward. The shell in Christian art signifies pilgrimage. A white horse with a white banner and cross and sword for martyrdom are additional symbols that might be used.
If fish isn't your idea of celebration, Steak and Kidney Pie from England on Catholic Culture's site might be a change.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 19 2005 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Just found this interesting site: Recipeland. If you scroll down
The name "James" in English comes from "Iacobus" (Jacob) in Latin. In eastern Spain, Jacobus became "Jacome" or "Jaime"; in western Spain it became "Iago". "Saint James" ("Sanctus Jacobus") became "Sant' Iago", which was abbreviated to Santiago. This has sometimes been confused with San Diego, which is the Spanish name of scallop shell (or "cockle shell"), and pilgrims to his shrine often wore that symbol on their hats or clothes. The french for a scallop is coquille St. Jacques, which means "cockle (or mollusk) of St. James", and that term also refers to a method of cooking and serving them, on a shell (real or ceramic) in a creamy wine sauce.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2005 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Me again! Found another book on my shelf that had some great information about Santiago de Compostela. I just thought that would give more ideas on foods to prepare for the feast.

The book is Discovering Spain by Penelope Casas, who specializes in the foods and wines of Spain (has a Tapas and Paella cookbook). Santiago de Compostela is where St. James the Great's (Santiago) body is buried, and a place of great pilgrimage. The city is located in the far northwestern region of Spain, Galicia. Having two sides of the region surrounded by water, it's not surprising that fish and shellfish are a big part of their diet.

If you were to go to Santiago de Compostela for the feast, you would most surely would have to taste the Tarta de Santiago, "a dense confection of eggs, ground almonds, and sugar." Some other versions: Reading Room and Tarta de Santiago-Almond Cake of Santiago .

Other specialities: empanadas, pizza-size savory pies, with fillings such as lamprey, eel, pork, tuna, scallops or clams and a variety of tapas. Tapas (little appetizers) are a must. One could make a meal out of a variety of tapas. Dh and I got interested in Spanish customs after going to St. Josemaria's canonization in Rome. There's a restaurant in DC called Jaleo that serves tapas. You can see the menu and get ideas of the variety.

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2005 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Jenn,

Oh, my goodness thank you! I wish you could make our dinner!

I guess fish will be on our menu!!

Marybeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2005 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I forgot to mention that the Tarta de Santiago has the cross of Santiago burned in sugar on the top. You can see that cross on this page.

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2005 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Jenn,

You need to come to Chicago to help us celebrate!!

Thanks for the web pages. I am such a visual learner it always helps to have a picture.

I printed off the pages of symbols Alice suggested. We plan to do a craft with shells, fish and crosses. Ds likes to cut and color plus have me write his prayer intentions. I think we will do a few crafts and give some to my sil in the hospital

We are ready to party and have fun here!

Marybeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 22 2005 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I just found this recipe for Torta de Santiago that's gluten free. I find many "dessert" recipes from the Middle Ages use almonds, such as Frangipane cream and Mostaccioli, said to be St. Francis of Assisi's last request. Anyone have an inexpensive source for almonds?

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2008 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Just bumping this for today to include Catholic Cuisine's St James recipes. Her scallops are definitely on our dinner table tonight, the mangos here are so good right now, it'll be delicious.

Also, if you're near Missouri or your state imports Missouri wines, one of the biggest producers in the state is St. James Winery.    

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 25 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I reposted a blog post on St. James. I had some recipes I did a few years ago on my food blog. I made some templates for a scallop shell and the cross of St. James to use for the powdered sugar over the cake.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 25 2008 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

A few weeks ago at Walmart I saw that they were carrying Madeleine cookies. I've never really had them before but thought they would be great for St. James Feast Day. I can't remember which brand they are but will be heading over later to see if I can get some. In googling it seems you can get them at Starbucks as well. And when I went to read the Catholic Cuisine link I found that Ruth had put up a recipe for Madeleines a few days ago for the feast of Mary Magdalene - double duty for these cookies. So if you have a shell pan you can make your own - or like me if you don't have a pan, run out to the store at the last minute to buy the cookies .

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version