Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Alice's article on Catholic Exchange Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 04 2007 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Alice had a great article on Catholic exchange today:

http://www.catholicexchange.com/node/61661

I wanted to respond to the email response - but I could not think up an eloquent reply.

I know that there are many of us who are part of the "Catholic poor" or maybe "Catholic struggling to make ends meet" who have large families. Maybe someone else can email a response?

It is possibly the most common reason people quote (in my very affluent area!!!) for not having more children - I have received so many comments about not being able to provide "opportunites" for the children, paying for their college etc etc.

I have so many great responses in my head - just cannot always get them out to sound the right way.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 04 2007 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

Well, my response was not the best in the world but I just let it all out the best I could. I was too ticked NOT to say something, anything. Sorry, I"m not a very eloquent writer. ;-/

JoAnna

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Oh my, I was just SHOCKED to read those replies. That article was so beautiful, just so beautiful. I left a lame reply. I just don't get it, at all.

We live very very much week to week. We are going through a rather 'lean' time right now too. I am not a college educated professional woman by any stretch. I've done nothing but bear and raise babies my entire adult life. I simply DON'T understand the financial aspect of this topic. God DOES provide, He really truely does. I don't know why so many doubt this.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote Martha

I didn't respond because it requires registration and the last thing I need is another stupid password or login to forget.

The lady brings up some valid points TO HER. Points we as "poor Catholics" know aren't valid because our faith and or our life has taught us are false, but for someone without such experience - they are fearful. Pray for this woman. She lives her live and determines the lives of her family through a haze of fears.

Her perspective on SAHM is debatable. Yes, there are many Catholic women who have worked outside the home. I have no idea what that has to do with anything. To a mom who loves staying home, she's going to have a very rosier picture of it. Just as a career mom who loves her life is going to have a rosier picture of working outside the home than I do. So what? If she's happy with her life, what does she care? I'm betting this article hit a nerve because she is NOT happy with her life. It's hard to be happy when you live in fear.

jmho as a woman who constantly encounters such reactions.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 04 2007 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Thanks for sharing the link! I didn't comment either, but may I say I am just sooo THRILLED that Alice is writing for Catholic Exchange! I so enjoyed that post from her blog. Looking forward to reading more!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Ya know, the more I think about this, the more I realize just how tired I am of so much mud being slug at big Catholic families.

How it must be so 'easy' for us because of such and such, and how others could never do it because they don't have/possess such and such.

And the bit from the Canticle editor (I am once again reminded just why I cancelled my subscription!) about how virtous women make contributions beyond their own four walls....... yada yada....Thus belittling the work that we do with IN our own four walls.

Why can't we, as at home mothers of many just share our joy, no matter what our financial or educational status???

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Lisbet wrote:
And the bit from the Canticle editor (I am once again reminded just why I cancelled my subscription!) about how virtous women make contributions beyond their own four walls....... yada yada....Thus belittling the work that we do with IN our own four walls.

You know I often agree with you , Lisa, but I have to say I didn't read this into her comment.

She makes it plain that we might be balancing books one day and making mudpies the next. And how true that is.

And she probably doesn't know the Alice we do.

Alice, who gives so much of her time, advice, and encouragement to thousands of families via the Internet. Alice, who organizes parties and plays and presentations for her hs group, church, and community. And there are ways she uses that college degree in law behind the scenes that is nothing short of a "patient forebearance to accomplish each day the work He has equipped and called us to do — " (quote from Heidi's comments), but so hidden that I would not dream of embarassing Alice by exposing it.

While she puts the family within her 4-walls first, she is not only attuned to God's voice but to all of us whether our families are large, small, or in-between. She gives so much outside her 4-walls though she is a SAHM, and I know that she knows that God sees what no man sees. And that is where Alice finds her peace.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 04 2007 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I had to laugh, actually...having a degree doesn't matter much when one is not working outside the home. Zero income is zero income, regardless of educational background.

I've done this mom thing every possible way, working full-time, part-time, part-time at home, running an in-home daycare, and now writing (ha ha, like I have time). There's no perfect answer for any family. We have to listen to God's call and be open to what He wants for us.

Brava, Alice!

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Cay, I wrote out of a bit of frustration. I don't think she was saying that the only way to be virtuous is to contribute outside of the home. But, that is what some of us are called to. I don't balance the books or buy real estate. I do very very little work outside my four walls. I feel she was belittling those that don't 'contribute' outside our own families.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Lisbet wrote:
   I feel she was belittling those that don't 'contribute' outside our own families.

I understand better now. I was just thinking how much you give of yourself to all of us, Lisa. Your posts always, always, always bring a smile to my face and I eagerly read everything you write.

I guess this is a case of determining whether one is contributing financially to the family or subservantly outside our homes. And what really matters in the grand scheme of things.

No time to think or make sense with myself. It's library day.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Cay Gibson wrote:

I guess this is a case of determining whether one is contributing financially to the family or subservantly outside our homes. And what really matters in the grand scheme of things.

No time to think or make sense with myself. It's library day.

In my haste to get off the computer and in my time at the library and on the road, I realized Alice's article is about neither one.

Shame on me.   

The conversation isn't even about this. Funny how one comment becomes another thought/process thread completely. And, basically, it's that age-old SAHM vs. career woman discussion which I abhor in general because neither side wins and both sides are truly doing what they feel is best for their families.

I want to mention and bring to light Kathleen Norris' book by Paulist Press The Quotidian Mysteries ~ Laundry, Liturgy and "Women's Work".

Amazon review:

"From Library Journal
Laundry may seem an odd element in the realm of religious worship, but poet and author, Norris (Dakota: A Spiritual Geography, LJ 12/92) has a talent for weaving seemingly disparate fragments of life together to see them as naturally connected. She points out that "women's work" such as laundry, cooking, and cleaning, done repeatedly on a daily basis and seemingly never to completion, can be approached in the same manner as liturgy. If seen as endless and dreary repetition, these domestic rituals become mindless activities to be gotten out of the way. When considered in terms of their enormous life-giving importance, the feeding and clothing of a family and maintaining of a household can be undertaken in the contemplative spirit. They become, like prayer and worship, acts of love that transform us and, in turn, the larger world around us. An uplifting book of inspiration, this is filled with humorous insights that will be enjoyed by readers unfamiliar with Norris's other work.
Copyright 1998 Reed Business Information, Inc."

I'm still trying to get my dh to see the sanctity and spirituality in my work at home. There are still times he "mentions" some kind of "work outside the home" gig.

Funny though, my five children abhor the very thought! They think I'm great right where I am.

Again, Alice's article was on the overall beauty and fulfillment of children, not the logistics. I'm sorry to see that on CE its intent has been mistaken for an agenda of anything other than its intent. I see that Lissa commented at the CE article to clear the matter up.

Now, I must get supper and discipline my own priorities a little better.

mom to 5

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Alice, I was so surprised at some of the responses and I was determined to post a reply but they won't accept replies out of the States.

I am posting my reply here, to give you my support Alice even though it is to the converted of course! If someone who is thinking of responding to the replies at Catholic Exchange and would want to take anything from this, you are welcome for there not my words, their G K Chesterton's.

"In regard to some of the following responses, I would like to quote the great Catholic thinker, G K Chesterton as a reminder to those who have a poorer view of mothers, devoted to their children in the home.

Chesterton said the human house is a paradox, it is larger inside than out. He stated that when we step out our front door each morning and pass from private life to public life we are passing from a greater work to a lesser one, from a harder task to an easier one. He cited that this was the reason modern people have embraced public life in far great numbers than ever.

He pointed out that in public life we met the minor needs of many, whereas in the home we meet all the major needs of our own precious few. He believed that people would rather tackle the complexities of their particular field/expertise rather than struggle with the whole human character of just one child.

Congratulations Alice, on your choice of a nobler, more difficult yet ultimately more rewarding direction for your life, you had a lot to put aside in the eyes of the world. Unfortunately these simple truths puzzle many still."

God Bless you Alice!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Annie,
How can any of us forget Chesterton's words and wisdom. Thank you for the reminder.

mom to 5

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Annie! Wonderful words! Thank you for calling them to mind.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 04 2007 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mare

aussieannie wrote:

In regard to some of the following responses, I would like to quote the great Catholic thinker, G K Chesterton as a reminder to those who have a poorer view of mothers, devoted to their children in the home.

Chesterton said the human house is a paradox, it is larger inside than out. He stated that when we step out our front door each morning and pass from private life to public life we are passing from a greater work to a lesser one, from a harder task to an easier one. He cited that this was the reason modern people have embraced public life in far great numbers than ever.

He pointed out that in public life we met the minor needs of many, whereas in the home we meet all the major needs of our own precious few. He believed that people would rather tackle the complexities of their particular field/expertise rather than struggle with the whole human character of just one child.

I enjoyed Alice's article very much.

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

gracie4309
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 04 2007 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote gracie4309

This sounds kind of lame now, after the lovely thoughts and discussion of the above posts, but Catholic Exchange is my home page, and I just wanted to say what a beautiful surprise it was this morning to see Alice's artice published there. Thank you Alice, for sharing this with so many.

Back to Top View gracie4309's Profile Search for other posts by gracie4309 Visit gracie4309's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

I tried to leave a comment ALice! I am shocked! I found the article lovely!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2007 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

aussieannie wrote:

Annie, if you have the source for Chesterton's words, would you kindly post them? I'd love to put that up somewhere here. Thank you.

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2007 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Thank you, Alice, for such a lovely article. I enjoyed it as much today as I did when I first read it on your blog... very touching.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2007 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Kelly,

Here is a couple of links:

Fancies Verses Fads Chapter 27 You will find it in print in this chapter.

My source a far easier one AND enjoyable one...is Dale Alquist's Chesterton Series that ran on EWTN, you can here it on audio on your computer and I highly recommend anyone listening to it because it discusses education in the home verses education outside the home and it is a real ripper! Educating the Uneducated You will here my quoting of Chesterton in this audio.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version