Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: A Latin Centred Curriculum ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lillian
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 13 2007 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote Lillian

Well, I don't have much to offer except to say that I've read LCC and am in the middle of a Thomas Jefferson Education.

But there must be something wrong with me because no matter how much I agree and want to embrace a more relaxed homeschool, I can't seem to throw away my syllabus (MODG). I just can't!! And I know that trying to add to it will just be overload. How do you just let go of them? My oldest is dyslexic so I have so many fears about what I could have or should have done differently! And I wasn't as consistent when she was in Kinder thru 2nd.

If one follows LCC, do you still write up a syllabus for 4 days a week/ 32 week school session? How do you hold yourselves accountable for the whole school year? Sorry if this is too off topic.

Blessings,
Lillian

Smithflections
Back to Top View Lillian's Profile Search for other posts by Lillian Visit Lillian's Homepage

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2007 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

Lillian,

I felt exactly like you did. I wanted to do the less is more thing, but I was afraid to actually do it. But life forced me to do it. This past Jan. my husband and I separated. I was so exhausted spiritually and emotionally that I could not bear the thought of doing school in the scheduled, rigid way that we were doing it. So, during the time of our separation (which was 3 wks) we unschooled. It was the best schooling experience that we had. There was a peacefulness that was never there before. I believe that unschooling helped all of us heal from this 'life bump.' When it came time to start back to school the way that we had been doing it, I balked. There was no way that I wanted to go back to 'do the next thing on the schedule.'

It was also at this time that I discovered TJE. This helped me with the changes. I have taken what I have read in TJE plus LCC and mixed it up with what I know that my children need. As a result, we have a very eclectic way of teaching.

I can't say that we are fully unschooling because we do have our 'requireds.' Each child, depending on their needs, have subjects that they must do every day. I have just been thinking about this today in light of next year. In the fall, for my dd she will do math and spelling every day. These are her areas of difficulty. I am thinking that my ds may be dyslexic and I am toying with the thought of having him assessed this year. But his areas of difficulty are reading and writing, so these will be daily 'must-dos'   

I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised by my dd's choices when it comes to her learning. She is making very good choices as to what she wants to learn. This has taken a bit of the edge off of my concern that she wouldn't be learning anything.

I write all of this to say, if you have a heart for schooling in ways that are similar to LCC and TJE, then just do it. Do it for a little bit of time, maybe over the summer. If it doesn't work, then you can start back the way you were doing it before. There would be nothing lost. You won't know if this will suit you and your family unless you actually do it for awhile.

Blessings
Julia
mom to 3(8,6,4)
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Juliainsk
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2007 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

JuliaT wrote:
I write all of this to say, if you have a heart for schooling in ways that are similar to LCC and TJE, then just do it. Do it for a little bit of time, maybe over the summer. If it doesn't work, then you can start back the way you were doing it before. There would be nothing lost. You won't know if this will suit you and your family unless you actually do it for awhile.

Wise words.

I've often said that one can give a new educational approach a try - give it a month, a term ( 3 months) or six months, keep what you like of the old and change a few things . As Julia, said, if it doesn't work its okay - it's not set in stone.

And, often, it's not a case of throwing out all that you are currently doing. Perhaps keep a couple of elements that seem to suit your family, from the MODG syllabi. and then instead of adding more, delete some have tos and allow time for reading aloud and exploration. See where that takes you.

“Here’s how I define it: Unschooling is allowing your child as much freedom to explore and learn from the world as you can comfortably bear as a parent,” says Farenga, co-author of "Teach Your Own: The John Holt Book of Homeschooling."

From

A Controversial Chapter in Education

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

"classically unschooled." I love that phrase!!!   

Truly the idea of unschooling doesn't rule out ANY other method... by its definition one finds what one likes (even if it a prepackaged math packet) and learns best from and goes with it.

I think many folks (not necessarily here) misconstrue unschooling into so much "wildness". All it really entails is freedom! Freedom to choose what one wants to learn, from whomever one wants, and on the time frame one wants.

Broken down like that, I doubt that so many would SERIOUSLY object to unschooling.

As for me, I'm comfortable calling myself a Charlotte Mason-influenced, classical unschooler with a sprinkling of Montessori on the side! I see no contradictions with that.

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2007 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

knowloveserve wrote:
As for me, I'm comfortable calling myself a Charlotte Mason-influenced, classical unschooler with a sprinkling of Montessori on the side! I see no contradictions with that.

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2007 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote mariB

O.K. I got my book LCC!!! I am going to be busy the next few days! I hope my kids don't need anything.

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2007 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Let me know what you think!

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2007 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote mariB

I am loveing LCC! My oldest is enrolled in Seton and I think I am brave enough to jump ship now!

I've always thought less is more! My second son is reading a 900 page book on beekeeping. He spent 4 hours yesterday reading and researching the internet on Russian and Italian queens(as in bees). I came into the room when he was relaxing with his bee book and informed him that his new book will be his science for 8th grade. He looked like this(This emoticon is supposed to be shocked)

The best thing about LCC is the confidence it has given me to be relaxed with homeschooling! We've been homeschooling for 9 years and I am a scheduler. I haven't written a schedule since January.''

And guess what? The kids have done WAY more. And everyone has been much more enthused. Last night Lily climbed into bed with me while I was reading and spent an hour and a half writing Japanese from a book I got from the library called Jimi's Book of Japanese which I plan to buy from Amazon by the way.

I am halfway through LCC and can't wait to read the rest.

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2007 at 1:39am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

mariB wrote:
The best thing about LCC is the confidence it has given me to be relaxed with homeschooling! We've been homeschooling for 9 years and I am a scheduler. I haven't written a schedule since January.''

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the book!

I am a scheduler - well, not really a schedule but we definitely have a routine, albeit an unschooly one...Lissa wrote about this sort of unschooling on her blog.

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2007 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

We are starting with LCC this summer, too. We've talked about it alot on these boards, but I feel it really meshes well with a CM inspired education. Our mornings will be structured and streamlined, and then our afternoon will be free for all the CM stuff we want to do!! I'm really looking forward to getting started!
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2007 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I was able to get the book at the Kansas conference last weekend and I'm loving it.   

More later...

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2007 at 2:56am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Jennifer and Cay, I'm waiting to hear more about how you may implement some of the LCC ideas...

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2007 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

I would love to hear your ideas too... I recieved this book last year, gobbled it up, applied it some, tweaked it, and shelved it. Will have to look at it again11

Kristie

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2007 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Kristie, I think one can take from LCC what needs at the time.

If I tried to follow the timetables or the scope and sequence, we would have an uncomfortable fit.

Instead, I look at the principles and this works for us - a few have tos ( Maths, Latin, writing, religion) and then books, reading aloud, movies ,explorations, projects, actvities, real life...

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2007 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

That's the fit we found too. Math and Latin, lots of books and some writing.

We did enjoy our Latin this year (had never done it) and also read heaps of Greek Myths, the Iliad, odyssey (retellings) and are enjoying a retelling of the Aeniad right now. I know the book sped us into some of these and we have thouroughly enjoyed them and are grateful...

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version