Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Geography Puzzles and Forms Cards Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 01 2007 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

What are you all doing for Geography Puzzles?? I'm thinking of asking for the set at Kid Advance from the dear grandparents

Also, if you use the landforms cards, did you buy thm ormake your own?? I kind of like the idea of wood for these as opposed to laminated, but perhaps I'm getting a bit too Montessori snobbish here

Let me know what your kiddos like to work with, thanks so much!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2007 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

We do not have the landform cards yet, but my son and our daycare children love my cardboard version of the continent puzzles. We do have the world map and particular children at different times just can't seem to get enough of it. My son and another 3 year old I only have a few hours a week already want to know the names of the continents. We had a cardboard version of that previously as well and it was 'liked' - I think we will all be excited to have the wood puzzles of the continents as well. The children do recognize them on the globe and on a flat world map and I think even the 3 year olds are coming to understand what it is they are looking at (we work with maps a LOT around here, including maps of the house, the yard, specific room, diagrams of areas of the room).
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 01 2007 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Meredith -
We found an awesome set of geography puzzles from Costco!!! The whole set!!! But, they're not wooden    Oh well, they work for now - and my kids like them very much.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2007 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I am getting the one from Allisons, which is more expensive, I see.
I like that this cabinet holds up to twelve maps, so I can add to the set if I like. In fact, I already did, as I also got the puzzle map of the oceans.

I made my own set of landform cards, laminated, and they work very well. Ds (11) worked with them quite a bit and really enjoyed them. Meredith I know what you mean about wanting the wood quality, but for this material I really don't see the benefit of wood. In fact, in this case I see a benefit for the cards. I'll explain: I made two sets. One set has the traditional blue/brown forms, the other has beautiful photos of the actual land and water forms. So I have the real pictures that we can compare with the more abstract blue/brown cards and this really cemented the learning for ds. You can't get that with wood.

On another note, I am determined that despite all my lavish spending, I will make as many of the card-type items as I can. It is something simple and cheap I can do to save money, and I enjoy the process. I will save my money for the items that just don't make sense to make. Besides, I need to make that laminator pay for itself!
Does that make sense?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 01 2007 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Wanted to post the link from Timberdoodle here (from another thread) from Genevieve.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 01 2007 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

What is the thought behind NOT having the country labeled, such as at Kid Advance and Alison's?

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2007 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I believe it is to focus on the shape and location. Later they will work with placing name labels on the maps.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2007 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

lapazfarm wrote:
I am getting the one from Allisons, which is more expensive, I see.
I like that this cabinet holds up to twelve maps, so I can add to the set if I like. In fact, I already did, as I also got the puzzle map of the oceans.

I made my own set of landform cards, laminated, and they work very well. Ds (11) worked with them quite a bit and really enjoyed them. Meredith I know what you mean about wanting the wood quality, but for this material I really don't see the benefit of wood. In fact, in this case I see a benefit for the cards. I'll explain: I made two sets. One set has the traditional blue/brown forms, the other has beautiful photos of the actual land and water forms. So I have the real pictures that we can compare with the more abstract blue/brown cards and this really cemented the learning for ds. You can't get that with wood.

On another note, I am determined that despite all my lavish spending, I will make as many of the card-type items as I can. It is something simple and cheap I can do to save money, and I enjoy the process. I will save my money for the items that just don't make sense to make. Besides, I need to make that laminator pay for itself!
Does that make sense?

YES, that makes total sense and that's why I asked. I've already printed my forms cards, just wanted to be sure. Now I'll have to go back and check out the Alison's cabinet as I am interested in being able to add to it as well!!

My printer and laminator have been smoking ALL day by the way

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2007 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

We have used the Timberdoodle puzzles and it was great to have for the hands-on work, but it really does not hold up very well as it is a thinner cardboard.

We have also used the computer for learning just like the geography puzzles..no mess ...like the free Owl and Mouse downloads. I keep it on my desktop so it is easy for the kids to click and use. I like the older children to read the place name to the younger ones as they put the pieces in place with the mouse.

I have always wanted to have the puzzles, but it was never anything that I could afford. I make other things though...even using some map masters I have for the kids to punch out with the larger bulletin board tacks over thick felt pads. They then make a booklet out of it or some such thing.

We made our own landform cards from a free download from MM Share (do you know of it?) I have also made some 1/4 sheet cards from blue and brown construction paper that the kids put together in a booklet. The kids loved when a landform had a "matching" waterform and they used what was left of one color with what was left from another...they got a big kick out of it...like lake and island... ooh good! I found a picture of what I was talking about here

I learn and the kids learn sooo much more when we make things...even if they aren't perfect. The smiles of satisfaction are worth it!

HTH!
God love you,
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2007 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Just looking at Alison's Geography Stuff and they're offering 10% off this month!! Woohoo!!

Theresa, are you getting those nifty globes that sit so nicely on top of the cabinet as well??

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2007 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Meredith, I am getting just one globe, the one with the colored continents.

Hmmm. If I had waited one day I would have gotten 10% off. Figures.
And I need more laminating pouches or mine would be smoking as well!LOL!

Donna Marie, we really like the owl and mouse games, too. They are great!
I like your idea of the tack and felt for punch-outs.Makes a lot of sense.

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2007 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

lapazfarm wrote:

Hmmm. If I had waited one day I would have gotten 10% off. Figures.

Theresa, Maybe you can send them an email and request it...it wouldn't hurt. I think I know of the woman who started this company. I think she is a member of playschool6

God love you,
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2007 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

I would call and ask too!! In fact see if they want to give us all a really nifty 4real Home Educators MOntessori Discount!!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 02 2007 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Here is a really nice homemade idea for Country Maps with Pins. Lisia's Album

Theresa, would a smaller version of this work to fit inside your "Geography Boxes" from our thread here? I really like the simplicity of it!!

Also, if you are starting out with only a few of the Geography/Country Puzzles, which would you start with besides the Continent/World one??

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 02 2007 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Hmmm...I think that might work! I could cut a cork square into quarters...thinking some more...
As far as which maps to use first, from the MTC albums the child starts with his own continent first. This makes sense to me, going from the familiar outward.
MTC culture 3-6

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 02 2007 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Wow- the Owl and Mouse puzzle site is so cool! I have been sitting here doing puzzles while Tropical Storm Barry blows through;

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 04 2007 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Theresa:
Would you link the cabinet that you got from Alison's....I can't find a puzzle cabinet that holds 12 maps.

ETA: Nevermind, Here it is.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Glad you found it, I'm going to get this one instead of the Kid Advance one as I really like the style and size and the fact that is holds twelve

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 04 2007 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

So, are you getting the puzzles from Alison's too? They have clearance puzzles and then the regularily priced ones. I emailed asking the difference....but I think it's probably b/c the regul-priced ones were "updated" in 2006.   Anyone know?

ETA: I just called them. What a concept....the telephone!

Here is the map cabinet WITH 8 puzzles.

The clearance puzzles are actually NOT all wood. They have a wood base with compound cardboard pieces. The new ones are all wood. Also, the new one come with the control charts, old ones do not. They are discontinuing them because they feel strongly about the pieces being wooden.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

I am going to get the cabinet and for sure the World and North America *new* all wooden maps to start, Oh and the Oceans one too. I do see they have the cabinet set with 8 puzzles included for $400 right now and with a 10% discount that's pretty tempting, but are they the wood ones, or the older ones?? I'm pretty partial to the wood, so I'd rather have less with more quality for my crew Just a personal preference.

Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version