Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Swallows and Amazons Forever! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 04 2011 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

I LOVE THESE BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They make me want to send my kids out into the woods for a week with a ruck sack full of canned meat and a piece of flint! (Okay, maybe a book of matches!)

Enjoy!

cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 04 2011 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

These are our summer readalouds--kids look forward to them every year! Though first we have to get through the new Penderwicks which they also love.

Laura
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 19 2012 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this again. We have been buying slowly the Swallows series on cd read by Gabriel Wolf. I can't recommend them highly enough. Because it's so expensive we are doing it in increments. But it's been so worth it. My 4 year old asked for the next cds for his Easter basket.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2012 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

We are onto Peter Duck (this time in the car using an Audible recording that I got for my credits ), and the boys have loved the all of the books so far! They remind me of my summers growing up on the waters of Puget Sound. We had a small back bay we called "The African Jungle"...I truly think there were gorillas and giraffes and water snakes back there (even though it was maybe about 50 feet from the local country store and firmly located in the State of Washington...not actually known far and wide for its steaming tropical climate! )

I think these would be pretty long for most younger children, but perfect for the 8-10 group or younger advanced "listeners".

The thing that amazes me about these books is that they are not filled with all of the excitement and drama of so many modern stories, but move along at a more life-like pace. I appreciate the realistic nature interwoven with childish imaginings. I think the children appreciate the accessibility of a realistic story that still enters into their childish world of make-believe in a healthy and wholesome.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 19 2012 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stellamaris wrote:
We are onto Peter Duck (this time in the car using an Audible recording that I got for my credits ), and the boys have loved the all of the books so far! They remind me of my summers growing up on the waters of Puget Sound. We had a small back bay we called "The African Jungle"...I truly think there were gorillas and giraffes and water snakes back there (even though it was maybe about 50 feet from the local country store and firmly located in the State of Washington...not actually known far and wide for its steaming tropical climate! )

I think these would be pretty long for most younger children, but perfect for the 8-10 group or younger advanced "listeners".

The thing that amazes me about these books is that they are not filled with all of the excitement and drama of so many modern stories, but move along at a more life-like pace. I appreciate the realistic nature interwoven with childish imaginings. I think the children appreciate the accessibility of a realistic story that still enters into their childish world of make-believe in a healthy and wholesome.

We're on Peter Duck, also!

I agree, it's less fantasy and more realistic, which I think is making it more attractive, even for the 4 year old. Elizabeth Enright's books are similar, plus The Railway children by Nesbit also has that appeal.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2012 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Great minds!!!!

Really. have. to. go. make. dinner.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 19 2012 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

We just started Swallows and Amazons as a read aloud. I wanted to listen to it on cd, but the library here does not have a cd version.

We're about three chapters in... should I try to get the audio version through ILL?

I have been thinking it is a shame I can't do all the accents (or all the nautical terms) justice when I read aloud...

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 19 2012 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I think the audio version is worth it. I'm slow to get the audio versions, but this is one that has been wonderful!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 19 2012 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Thanks for bumping! We've only read the first two and haven't read them in a few years. Time to reread/listen!!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2012 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

JennGM wrote:
I think the audio version is worth it. I'm slow to get the audio versions, but this is one that has been wonderful!

Yes, I think I would have preferred using audio versions for the first two books as well. It seemed to take us FOREVER to finish those books; I think I forget that we only read them once or twice a week, with other books in between. I listed Swallowdale on my blog as read in 2011, but, really, we didn't finish it until the end of February 2012.

If you have an Audible account, Melinda, you get "credits" each month and can exchange them for audio books. I got The Borrowers, Peter Duck, Little Women, and Something-Else-I-Have-Forgotten for under $10.    (I think the one I forgot was Little Men).

ETA: Kind of a lot of forgetting in this post !

Flowing Streams

Turtle
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 19 2012 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote Turtle

I'm so glad this got bumped. We picked this as a family read aloud. None of us have read it before. I thought it was a good pick since we're going to the shore for a vacation in a few weeks. We've all been captivated by the story.
I feel the need to invest in a rucksack. . .

Melissa
Back to Top View Turtle's Profile Search for other posts by Turtle

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2012 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm bumping this, just in case you want to get some of the audio books read by Gabriel Woolf for Christmas.

We've been slowly adding to our collection. I think we need 5 more to finish it off.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2012 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

That is a great suggestion, Jenn (though I have to admit that I *like* reading them aloud). I'll have to remember these as our monthly credits come up on Audible. I've canceled all my online subscriptions but that one, which is *totally* worth it to me. I tend not to look for books we've already read or I like reading, but I do think everyone would enjoy having that series to listen to.

Sally

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2012 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I haven't listened to the Audible narrator. We're awfully fond of Gabriel Woolf, and I see he has read a few classics available on Audible.

We're still old-fashioned and use cds over here. haven't got the hang of .mp3s for audio books.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2012 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Jenn- are you ordering those from England? How is the shipping time?

I would rather listen to these than read them aloud.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2012 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SeaStar wrote:
Jenn- are you ordering those from England? How is the shipping time?

I would rather listen to these than read them aloud.

Shipping time is not long at all. I was very much surprised. It took under a week for most, some a little more than that.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 23 2013 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

One of my favorite threads, and it's old!

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 23 2013 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

We just finished the first book on cd. I requested my library get it on cd and they did and we got to check it out first. We LOVED it! The cds were performed by Alison Larkin and it kept us entertained. Youngest Ds is requesting the next book on cd for his birthday. I'm not sure if he knows it's on his list, but it is.

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version