Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Geometry cabinet Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 16 2007 at 2:01am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Meredith wrote:
Erin, i think it's VERY Montessori, certainly Montessori inspired!! I have this Melissa & Doup Shapes Puzzle for my two yo and he loves it! He's learning the names of the shapes just fine and enjoyes the large knobs and colors. I think it's a nice precursor o the Geometric Cabinet, just my thoughts!

Meredith
Thanks for your 'thumbs up'. Just had to let you know I won my bid Dd nearly 3 will be getting it for her b'day in 3 weeks.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2007 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Yeah!! She will love them, they are nice and chunky too! So glad it worked out for you

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2007 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

OK, now a question for those who may have recieved their Geometric Solids (Blue): What about these Natural Wood Solids?? I do think they are truly beautiful and am wondering if there is some special thing (you know, that magic bullet) about the painted blue ones, I don't want them to be chipping or whatever if they are dropped. Any advice/opinions here??? Thanks a bunch!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 19 2007 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Meredith - the set you linked to is the set I have. I waffled on whether or not to get the blue set. So far, the only difference I can find is that the sets painted blue match the 3 part cards and geometry cards in color. I decided to wait, work a little on it this year, and make a decision on whether or not to order the blue set after I got my hands dirty a little. The natural set still provides that visualization of a sphere, etc. that a card cannot, and so far I can't tell that the color blue does anything more than go with the cards.

Disclaimer though - I'm utterly ignorant. I can't yet recite to you why Maria decided red rods should be red, pink tower, pink and on and on - other than reading that the colors stood out on her green carpet in the Casa in the case of one of the materials. I just trust that her powers of observation must have indicated to her a reason behind the blue??? So...take my reasoning with a grain of salt.

But, if you need validation for the natural wood solids - I'm your girl I like mine!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2007 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Meredith,

I could be totally wrong, but my impression is that the blue solids are larger than the natural wood ones you linked to. I have a set similar to those, and I just think my kiddos would be more attracted to the larger blue ones. Plus I love those little matching booklets in the Montessori Services catalaog, those have been on my list ever since someone on one of my montessori lists described how her kids loved to take a solid and hold it while being read the booklet. I think my daughter would love that!

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 19 2007 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

ok - just read Andrea's post - I forgot about the neat little books. That does seem like a good reason to go blue! Hmmm...much to think about this year...thanks Andrea

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2007 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thank you Jennifer and Andrea, I also noticed in the set I linked, that there is no Elipsoid or Ovoid, only the Sphere and Hemisphere, so I think I'm going blue Talk about waffling I REALLY like those booklets too and have to order as well! Allrighty then, thanks for helping out here!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2007 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

OK, another (dumb ) question: Andrea, if I buy the little booklets to accompany the blue solids, do I still need the additional Geometric Solids Bases (and box) as an extension, or will the ones that actually come with the Solids set and the booklets be enough??? Thanks again...

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 19 2007 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh my! I knew it! Now I see the reason for the blue too! Ugh - add something else to my list...along with the geography cabinet, botany puzzles, and geometry cabinet.

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2007 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

Meredith,

I don't think you need the extra bases and box- I think they are the same as the ones that comes with the solids at Kid Advance. I have seen some places sell the solids and bases seperately, which is probably the reason for the extra set.

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2007 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thanks Andrea, I'm leaning towards NOT buying these extra bases initially. I want to see just how my dc work with the solids first and then think about add-ons!

And just and FYI, the lovely booklets at Mont Servs are on backorder right now

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version