Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Organizing Montessori Art Trays Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 28 2007 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Here is my idea to solve our art problem.
I am going to make a spinner with pictures of art supplies/projects on the circle.
Ex:watercolor paints, puppet making, collage, colored pencils, stencils, stamps, markers, crayons and coloring page.
DD can spin the wheel any time and choose what it lands on, or spin again until she is happy with the result. Then I can get the materials out for her.
I think this will entice her to choose art more often, allow her choice, but still keep materials up and out of toddler reach. Plus, the spinner will only take up one small space on my limited shelves.
Then when I have a different "special" art project prepared for her, I will keep it on a tray up high and let her do it during toddler nap time.
I will likely have a similar, but simpler wheel for dgs (3).
It's still just a thought bubbling around in my mind, but I hope to get it together soon.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2007 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I love this idea: practical and fun! Except for pencils, paper, crayons, glue sticks and child scissors - that are all on reachable shelves and baskets - all my other art supplies are locked away... with no way to see or choose them.

(Off the subject a bit -- Do you do art appreciation in a Montessori method Theresa?)

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2007 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Maryan wrote:

(Off the subject a bit -- Do you do art appreciation in a Montessori method Theresa?)

No. Not yet.*sigh* I have such a long way to go...

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2007 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

My middle dd spent a year in a Montessori preschool-I didn't know much about the method then to determine if it was "pure" Montessori but looking back I think it was. Anyway, there were some art supplies (paper, colored pencils, etc) always available but each day a different art project was made available-something a little more involved-painting, stamping, gluing, etc. The children could do the project if they wanted, or not. If there was time they could do it again. I once watch Bethany in the art corner. So deliberate she was-putting on her apron, getting out her materials, doing the project, and then putting the finished product on a drying rack and washing up and hanging up her apron. And she was 2 1/2!!

We so rarely get out the "messy" stuff here-I have a low tolerance for mess but feel that if we have the materials out the girls should enjoy unrestrained creativity, no matter how much mess is made. Unfortunately, it seems to fall on me to clean up.

So, I think (at least for the next year until everyone is a little older and better trained in the art of cleaning up) that at least three days a week I'll take a cue from Beth's preschool and present an art project, using very specific and limited materials. I think I may limit the materials to a paintbrush and water at first, to first practice setting up and CLEANING UP!

I'm no Montessorian (is that a word?) but I do have a stack of books on hold at the library. Does my art plan sound like it has merit? Or does it sound like a "creativity sucking focuses on the take home product" kind of thing??
Thanks
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2007 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I am not creative in the least. I love your idea, Theresa, but I know I can't even make the spinner. What if I just wrote down the different types of art materials on slips of paper, and let them pull them out of a jar?

Or if I took one item of everything (1 paint brush, 1 glue stick, 1 felt scrap, etc) and put them all in a basket and let them blindfold-grab one?

Would either of those methods be Montessori?

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 28 2007 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

So, dh took kids to the zoo! whoo-hoo!

This is what I have accessible to the 3.5, 5, and 6 year old (on shelves in bins or stackable trays:

turnabout with markers, colored pencils, scissors, paper punches.
    plain paper
    colored paper
    Coloring Books
    construction paper
    glue
    glue sticks
    misc. cards
    stickers
    color crayons
    stencils
    ruler
    paper scraps
    envelope with misc pictures to cut out, etc.
    Drawing Books

Not so accessible:

Water color tray (paper, water cups, paints)
    Chalk
    Play Dough Bin
    Stamps/Ink Pad
    Bin full of crafty things that i can just "bring down" when they ask for it.....yarn, ribbon, felt, "good markers", popsicle sticks, anything else we "collect".
    Tempera Paint and brushes
    Sculpey Clay

I have two "bins/trays" ready to put materials in for projects that I organize ahead of time.

ETA: I also made a list similar to the above and similar to the concept of Theresa's "spinner" , laminated it and posted it on the inside of the shelf. So, when I'm brain-dead at 3:30 pm, I can go to the list and start going down it to give them ideas so they can "choose" and have at it.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2007 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Well, here are the things that are always acceessible here:
crayons
colored pencils
markers
watercolor paints
coloring books
construction paper
printer paper (colored and white)
scissors
rulers
oil pastels
chalk
play-doh
glue sticks
(pretty typical, really)

Not so accessible:
tempera paints
acrylic paints
sharpies
lots of doodads like feathers, string, google eyes,etc glitter
school glue
ink and ink pens
sculpey clay
stamp pads and stamps
stickers
(older ds can get to any of these any time)

My problem is not really the accesibility, but just remembering to get them out and do them, including dd. I think the spinner will help us both with that.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2007 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

My list is pretty much like everyone else's and I really need to work on the "let's not make a mess" factor when it comes to offering art activites. We tend to save the messy stuff for when the 2 yo is napping, but I feel like he's missing out on the creative inspirations of his older sister and brothers I even bought him a beautiful Melissa and Doug Art easel for his b-day and he's only used it a few times because I have a hard time with the mess maintenance

Good thoughts and ideas here ladies thanks so much!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2007 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Meredith, now that the weather is warmer, can you pull the easel out on a porch or patio, lay down newspaper or an old shower curtain, put him in a swim suit, and let him go at it?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 28 2007 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I don't do art trays, but I do keep most art supplies in a multi clear drawer bin. I need to add a few things and organize it better, but he can see through the drawers what he has, but it has a place and looks tidy after he's done.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 29 2007 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Theresa
One day soon I am going to blog so pictures are available about our 'mystery boxes'. Similar thoughts to your spinner however supplies are all ready to go. What I have done is I have a few pretty cardboard boxes with different art activites. ie. one box may contain some stamps and ink, another stars, glitter etc and glue, another may have some felt shapes and neddle and thread all set for sewing.    The 'mystery' is the child doesn't know what is in the box until they open it as I rotate what goes into the boxes frequently. I also have all the supplies available but my mystery boxes are handle when juggling various children and I need to grab something for the little ones without having to think.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2007 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Erin wrote:

One day soon I am going to blog

Please do!

The mystery boxes sound great. I had a similar thing going last year, but just ziplock bags with activities ready to go. The trouble is I would never remember to pull them out! I still have three quarters of them sitting there in my supply cupboard packed and ready for a year now!
I really need to get it together!(I keep saying that! )

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2007 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

lapazfarm wrote:
Meredith, now that the weather is warmer, can you pull the easel out on a porch or patio, lay down newspaper or an old shower curtain, put him in a swim suit, and let him go at it?

Theresa, it's timely you mention this as I just tried this over the weekend with some new Beatrix Potter Paint pans I picked up. He was interested for about 5 minutes and then bolted off to harass his sister who was weeding the Mary Garden But will keep trying as I really like the idea of outdoor art porjects, painting included, as long as it's not tto windy!!

Thanks for the great suggestion!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2007 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Meredith wrote:
lapazfarm wrote:

Theresa, it's timely you mention this as I just tried this over the weekend with some new Beatrix Potter Paint pans I picked up. He was interested for about 5 minutes and then bolted off to harass his sister who was weeding the Mary Garden But will keep trying as I really like the idea of outdoor art porjects, painting included, as long as it's not tto windy!!

Thanks for the great suggestion!

In the summer we put the easels outside in the yard and the paints in a box by the back door. The kids can paint and if they drip in the grass, it disappears when we mow!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version