Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Montessori Pros and Cons Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 28 2007 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I've been reading and learning and reading and learning and thinking... thanks ladies!

Cheryl - I hear ya on the too much stuff and spiritual obstacles. And then... add taking care of too much stuff can be frustrating.

I am not Montessori trained, I HAVE been reading a lot of books and trying to implement the ideas. However, I am taking baby steps... because I see it like a garden... if I plant too much that I can't maintain, then I might lose the whole garden.

So I follow the "just what I need right now or can handle advice." To me, that's how I apply the too many possessions advice.

We have mats (our first lesson), we have a "practical" cupboard in the kitchen with little brooms, aprons, pouring stuff, and a set the table tray, and a kid size table and chairs. Then we have various puzzles, shapes, matching trays, latch and fasteners, stacking items in our toy closet on shelves. I for sure would like to add a bunch of the lacing/velcro etc. type stuff. I don't have enough room to have these all on trays, so I place them on trays and set them out.

For handwriting and math, I opted for other hands-on programs. For other subjects (art, science...), I still haven't decided whether to go Montessori or another method.

And then I'm loosely learning CGS - Mass kit and Holy Week presentation. (No time for summer training with everyone else though -- so I'm still a "faker.")

When I feel like we have too much stuff -- I am not as patient as Rebecca in allowing EVERYTHING to be out and open (I am SO admiring your patience Rebecca). I do the same to our Montessori stuff as I do to our other toys... I put the "extras" in a big bin, wait a couple months and then swap with other stuff to put it back out.

Another thought on these Montessori items becoming a spiritual obstacle. Some of these things are "tools" and not toys. But even still -- too much stuff is too much stuff. To aid me in that, I've adopted "I-can-only-buy-it-if-I-have-a-place-store-it/put-it" attitude (in addition to "Do I need it?"). So I'm at a halt for more supplies until I have other shelves -- because if it's not neat and orderly -- that breaks Montessori rules too. Ooo... with one exception: Moira's albums and doing the CGS stuff. That I am increasing.

From her writings, one of the big goals is to provide peace and order. So if it doens't do that for us -- you know like 1000 beans strewn over the kitchen floor as your 8 mo. is crawling to eat (and choke on them)... then I definitely put that pouring activity away for a while until my 2 yo. acts like he appreciates it.

And I LOVE all the advice about doing a good presentation, being ever present to your kids, and no slapped together.... all good advice for me.

And -- I must have been eating chocolate frosted brownies too (I wish!!) because this is way longer than I intended. That's what happens when everyone is sleeping...

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Maryan, I really don't know if it is patience or insanity but thank you, nonetheless!

Just wanted to mention that I think I would not be downscaling the Montessori materials if I had alternate storage, such as a closet or area with shelving outside our classroom (so as to be able to rotate materials). As it stands, I have too many toys (playmobil, blocks, cars etc.) in my basement that I also cannot rotate. I am just in a "purge or be swallowed by stuff" mentality all throughout the house. I love both the Montessori method/philosophy and the materials so I would not be downscaling if it weren't for space issues. We just need less stuff or a bigger house and I don't see a bigger house in the near future.    
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 28 2007 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

What a great thread! I've been pondering this approach and have been stymied by the amount of "stuff".

I was thinking that the upcoming year I would perhaps do the R&D manuals and follow those presentations (or follow some of the links to find them for free) and only set up materials we intend on using. I also plan on doing more Catechesis, which does incorporate in some of the practical life work.

Theresa, your story inspires me. Constantly what comes back in Montessori is teacher-worthiness. I have to work on being humble and an instrument, work on my spiritual life, my faults, my lack of organization, willpower.....

And I have such a long way to go!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 28 2007 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

I am *loving* this thread...and several other good ones going in the Montessori forum. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts here. Who needs a homeschool conference??!

I'm trying to catch my breath this summer, make plans for next fall, and hopefully find my own Montessori groove that will work in my home. Along with you all, I find myself praying for wisdom, and evaluating my own habits, shortcomings, discipline, etc.

No wisdom...just gratitude!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2007 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

JennGM wrote:
I was thinking that the upcoming year I would perhaps do the R&D manuals and follow those presentations (or follow some of the links to find them for free) and only set up materials we intend on using. I also plan on doing more Catechesis, which does incorporate in some of the practical life work.

Excuse my ignorance but what are the R & D manuals?

I have found this thread to be very useful and am praying about how/what to incorporate in our home this year.

I know for sure that we are going to be using Moira's            Home Catechesis Manuals (since I have a stack of them AND mass kits sitting in my bedroom - it's seems obvious to me ). plus, one of my sons is in a local trade school learning woodworking and cabinetmaking and he made me a beautiful little shaker table that I keep thinking would be perfect for the catechesis presentations (I keep meaning to take a picture of it --he's also making me mass kit/altar boxes - I can't wait to see how they turn out).

So, if someone wanted to get a good overview understanding of Montessori without too much in depth (read: get me overwhelmed) understanding...what book/books would you recommend?

And lastly what about these books?

The Religious Potential of the Child 3-6 and
The Religious Potential of the Child 6-12
by Sofia Cavalletti

The Good Shepherd and the Child
by Cavalletti, Gobbi and Coulter.

History's Golden Thread
by Sofia Cavelletti.

Listening to God With Children
by Gianna Gobbi.

Young Children and Worship 2nd Ed.
by Jerome Berryman and Sonya Stewart.

Montessori Play and Learn
by Leslie Britton.

---------------
Thoughts?

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 29 2007 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote Celeste

MicheleQ wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but what are the R & D manuals?

Montessori Research and Development sells Mont. teacher's manuals--albums, basically--for all levels (infant, primary, and elementary). They're fairly reasonably priced; or you can just look at the table of contents for a kind of scope and sequence for a particular subject.

MicheleQ wrote:
And lastly what about these books?

The Religious Potential of the Child 3-6 and
The Religious Potential of the Child 6-12
by Sofia Cavalletti

Outstanding. These are the foundational resources for CGS, used extensively in the training. Philosophy and theology of CGS. Rich rich rich.

The Good Shepherd and the Child
by Cavalletti, Gobbi and Coulter.

Condenses the philosophy in RPOT 3-6. Some examples of presentations.

History's Golden Thread
by Sofia Cavelletti.

For older children. More like Bible study.

Listening to God With Children
by Gianna Gobbi.

I would start with this book! Very accessible, combines Mont. phil. with CGS.

Young Children and Worship 2nd Ed.
by Jerome Berryman and Sonya Stewart.

I don't recommend this book. It's not true to CGS.

Montessori Play and Learn
by Leslie Britton.
I like this one--Mont. in the home (although it goes overboard with the Nienhuis games).

Hope that helps!

Celeste
Back to Top View Celeste's Profile Search for other posts by Celeste

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 29 2007 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Michelle -

I loved The Good Shepherd and the Child! Rich, and captures the imagination.

Religious Potential of the Child - Beautiful!

I personally didn't care for Montessori Play and Learn - check it out from the library first. Others here may really enjoy it though.    

I prefer Elizabeth Hainstock's books "Teaching Montessori in the Home." They're clear and practical.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 03 2007 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

Wow, this is a fantastic thread! Thanks for starting it, Cheryl. As everyone has seen, there is so much to say on this topic. I plan on posting a response but it will probably take me a couple of days to formulate my thoughts!

Here is a post at Regina Doman's blog that I recently came across. Regina talks about Montessori as Catholic and touches on some of the things discussed in this thread. Food for thought.

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 03 2007 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

* Pardon the caps. but I cannot seem to figure out how to quote!

HOW DO YOU FIND TIME FOR MAKING MATERIALS? DOING PRESENTATIONS? OBSERVING? MANAGING THE MATERIALS?

We have only ds 4 and dd 27 months and I find it difficult to make time for gathering/making materials and managing the materials. Space is one of the biggest issues in materials management: space for works to be set out for the children and space for storing the works not currently in use. It is also difficult to find time to learn how to do many of the presentations, as it is important for the “directress” to be very familiar and comfortable with all of the materials. After doing this for two years I’ve realized that I need to find a way to set aside regular time (not time I can squeak in here and there or even after the children are asleep because I’m too zonked) for such things. It takes diligence and commitment, that’s for sure. But I also believe whole-heartedly that it is worth it!

Doing presentations and observing take place during actual “school” time. If there are a lot of new presentations to be given on materials for my son, then I will try to do so either when she is napping or otherwise engaged because she still needs a lot of guidance with the materials. Observing has been a little challenging because I find myself tempted to do breakfast clean-up or even to do school preparations while they are working. When the children have had lessons on the materials and there are materials of interest to them on the shelves, they work very idependently for 45 minutes to 1.5 hours (dd is usually about 20-30 minutes). I have not had troubles with misuse of the materials.

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS YOU SEE TO HAVING SPENT TIME ON THESE THINGS?

Our children love their “school time” which up untile recently has mainly referred to their Montessori work period. They are simply and unequivocally drawn to the Montessori materials, in particular the practical life but the sensorial as well. Their fine motor is great and the skills they’ve learned have easily allowed them to make great strides in the actual home environment with self-care, care of the environment, etc. People often comment about how our children are very capable and take care with things, using glasses at meal time is one example.

I’ve found that the children actually need time to “work” on most days … I’ve tried to be consistent about the times and days but there are times when they are not interested at the moment and I let them take the lead. They almost always come back to it later and enter deeply in. After "working" they are recollected and refreshed.

Our little girl has in the last six months demonstrated this in striking ways. The children are usually in bed by 7:30-8:00. One night we stayed late at a friend’s house, the kids were pretty wound up. When we came home, at around 10:00, our daughter went right over to her work shelf and began to do her works. Of course we were anxious to get her to bed but decided not to interrupt. It was amazing! This has happened a couple of times. I have also seen this on a more day-to-day basis. The children definitely have an internal sense about it.

DOES IT GET EASIER AS YOUR DC BEGIN TO WORK WITH THE MATERIALS ON A REGULAR BASIS?

Yes, it definitely gets easier. MUCH easier. They work independently and they enter deeply into their work. It is amazing!

AM I OVER COMPLICATING THIS?

I don’t think so. Using Montessori to homeschool (in a more formal sense) is definitely a big challenge in many ways. I still find myself grappling with different aspects of it on a weekly or even daily basis. In many ways Montessori method is a perfect fit for home schooling, in others it is the exact opposite. I like to call it a love-hate relationship that I have with Montessori! My friend who is a certified Montessori directress has herself called Montessorians “a little anal”. We both laugh, wondering if it might be a little more than “a little”.

As you know, it is hard to try to uphold such standards in the home environment, especially without time after the students “go home” or before they “arrive” for the day to straighten and prepare the environment. Montessori is a high maintenance approach by nature (the directress must be prepared and the environment must be prepared). But I do think it’s worth it. The question is to what degree is it manageable for you? Not an easy question to answer.

I'M THINKING THAT I MIGHT HAVE TO GIVE UP ON THE IDEA, EXCEPT FOR THE RELIGIOUS MATERIALS, JUST TO KEEP THINGS SIMPLER AROUND HERE.

I am actually in a similar place, grappling with whether or not to adopt the full Montessori math and language materials. At some point it really does all get to be very overwhelming! I've managed to eek out all the workable space I can for shelving to display materials without overwhelming our home and undermining the simple, orderly aspect so central to Montessori. A line will have to be drawn somewhere ... where that will be is something I'm taking to God! One thing is for sure, you don’t want to let this stress you out or overwhelm you (in terms of all that is involved or all of the “stuff” cluttering up your life). That would be counter-productive. It sounds like it might be best for you to lay it aside (except for the CGS) and be at peace with it if you feel like it will over-complicate your life and be burdensome. But if you really do want to reconsider, Cheryl, may I offer a couple of thoughts for you to ponder?

As I recall, you have a lovely, large learning room that is separate from the rest of the house. You are also highly organized, or at least very much inclined to be so. In my mind these are big pluses for you. Maybe you could adopt Montessori in baby steps. Maybe just one baby step, maybe more if it goes well.

Do you find yourself particularly drawn to one area of Montessori? The practical life, the sensorial, the language, the math, geography, etc? Let’s say that you really like the math materials (I taught 6th-9th grade math and I think they are simply phenomenal). Could you set up a portion of the classroom for math ala Montessori? You could put out shelves to make a divider and create a special, separate space from the rest of the room. You could get an area rug or even use painter’s tape to define the space. The key will be that from the very first day your children (including your littlest) must know beyond a doubt that this is a special space to be used in a special way. I would have aprons for the children to wear while working, perhaps a set time during the day for use of math materials and play classical music. It may sound strange, but you could even have your children put on shoes (preferably dressy shoes) when working in this area. These are all things that we’ve done with much success). Anything you can do to define the space. Making the space special helps the children to adopt a different manner when working in that space and goes far in conveying the special nature of the materials.

Establishing the Montessori environment is labor-intensive in the beginning but you would be surprised at how it all falls into place. Be sure to have some Montessori style materials for your littlest one to experiment with on a work rug whenever she meanders over into the Montessori math corner. Toddler knobbed cylinders can be purchased reasonably on ebay. Have a special basket or spot for these materials and show her how to use them and put them away when finished. Then redirect her to another activity. This worked well for me when our daughter was an older infant and young toddler.

Sorry if some of my thoughts and ideas are repetitive of what others have said. There is so much wisdom here and not enough to to take it all in! I wish you the best in making your decision and look forward to hearing about it when you do!      

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 03 2007 at 11:56pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Kristen, thank you for that wonderful response! I can tell I have much to learn from you!

Several things you said really resonate with me:

Making the area special. I have always had our learning areas integrated with our living areas and for my son this is a very good thing. But for dd, the one who is inspiring me to all this Montessori exploration, perhaps it would be better if it were more seperate.I am going to look into how I can make that happen. I don't have a seperate room to use, but perhaps I can delineate a space somehow.

Montessori as an "anal" method. I so totally agree! I am sure this is why it works so well. Every little thing is thought out and controlled to the highest degree. This is also why it is so hard for me. I am so very not anal. At all.If I were to describe myself from 1-10 on the anal scale, I would say "who needs a scale?" Again, I think it is this attention to detail that makes the method work so well, and why it will work well for my dd. It just will be SO hard for me to implement. But for my little JBug, I'd do anything.Even organize!

The need for the directress to be familiar with the materials and well prepared. Yes, I am seeing this more and more as I explore this approach. It isn't something one can "wing" very well. I am going to really have to invest in not only materials, but time and effort to train myself properly to become the most effective teacher I can be.

Again, thank you so much for chiming in! You have a lot of wisdom and I am thankful for your input!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Kristin,
I really, really, really appreciate your posting answers to my questions. I am going to try to focus on doing laundry, my ds's First Communion album, you know, the present.... and I plan to read this again tonight.

p.s. Are you Sonny and BeBop's Mom?

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Yes, Kristin, ditto what Theresa and Cheryl have said here. Thank you so much for your wonderful response, I know it will be so helpful to so many of us! Please chime in again whenever you get the chance!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 04 2007 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Kristin

Thanks, ladies. I'm glad to be able to offer a few insights! Hopefully I'll have time to visit the forum more often, there is so much to learn and share here! And Cheryl, yes, I am "Sunny and Be-Bop's Mom"!   

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2007 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Kristin,
It's nice to see you here. I'm sorry I spelled your children's "names" wrong.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version