Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Continent materials Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 25 2007 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I have it in my mind to put together some materials for dd. I'd like to have a box for each continent (using those photo file storage boxes)filled with materials for her to explore (sort of like a combination of the continent folder and the "mystery bag" concepts).
I'd love to pick your brains for ideas for these continent boxes.
So far I am thinking each box should have laminated pictures of people, housing, food, architecture,animals, plants, and landmarks. I'd also like a set of plastic animals for each box. A map to color and label, and perhaps some other coloring pages.
But beyond that I am stumped. I need some sort of little objects to put in to make it interesting. Like perhaps some coins or jewelry, ethnic fabrics, crafts,etc.
Where can I find these things? It would have to be online as there are no "import" type stores in this area.

Any other ideas of things I should include?

I am going to go back and check my usual resources for the photo cards, but if any of you have recommendations for where I can find the other things please pass them on!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Wow, Theresa, this looks great and what a super idea!! I love the plan of the photo box storage. She could even paper-maiche the outside of the boxes with something relevant to the Continent, sort of like a collage of travel photos, etc.

I'm not sure I have anything to add for what to include, maybe if you have the book "Children Just Like Me" (or pick up at the library) she could have that be a read-aloud to go along with whatever Continent the child is from??? That would help put some faces to the place, so to speak. Wow, now I have another project to work on, who needs Manuals when we have YOU

I know others are gonna love this too and have ideas for you!!

Blessings!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2007 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

OK, I was just over at Montessori For Everyone as I remembered she had some great Continent Kits. Here is the Africa Page

Just food for thought, but I think you've covered it and more !!

HTH

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2007 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Just found these Map Labels at Maitri Learning Free Downloads!

I better go clean up my kitchen!!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2007 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Thanks, Meredith!
We just got back from our stream study and I am soggy and smell like a fish so I will get cleaned up and check out those links!
Oh, and I LOVE the box decorating idea!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2007 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

All cool stuff... such great ideas!!

As far as little objects to include our AC Moore has a cool miniature section that has all sorts of random stuff that might connect with your continents (maybe even a mini Eiffel Tower!).

And I'm not sure if this is too particular... but flags? Maybe you could get some material, Markers made for clothing (pretty sure they make something like that), and some sticks -- I use shish-ka-bobs for everything -- and make some of the major flags of the countries on that continent (again I don't know if that's too particular to what you want to do)... but if you had a map put on top of felt or maybe styrofoam... she could poke the flags into the right spot?

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2007 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Great ideas, Maryan! I wish I had an AC Moore here. Is that like a Michaels?

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2007 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Yes, but usually it is cheaper.

Our Michael's doesn't have such a big section -- perhaps because AC Moore across the street does -- but if yours has a dollhouse/hobby section combined then you might find some unique things...

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2007 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Theresa, I know you've spent your budget, but these might make a nice addition to your creative Continent Boxes!!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2007 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

You are right, Meredith, that would be great. AND my budget is SPENT!LOL!

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2007 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

I love this continent box idea, Theresa!

Here's a few things I'm also thinking about (don't know how Montessori they are, but I LOVE all things hands-on)...

What about a folded larger map of just the continent and a rubber footprint stamp for stamping out your journeys across the continent? (So if we read a living book about Kenya first, that's our starting point. When we go to South Africa we'll "stamp" our way down the map in one color ink to show where we're going.) We would maybe need a control map with footprints already stamped for the child to trace with his finger and then after some practice he could stamp it on his own map??

I'm also thinking about including a tape or CD of music from the continent, along with animal sounds and native people speaking. There has to be a place online to download this kind of thing, or maybe some samples at the public library? Now what to do with it...just listen? Match visual images (cards) with what the child hears? Hmmmm...

What about homemade saint nomenclature cards?

Maybe (for my 7 & 5yo who LOVE to build things), along with the sample photo cards of homes I could have a baggie of materials for constructing their own mini-versions of native dwelling spaces... nothing fancy though...this would just provide them with one more learning experience tied directly to our geography study.

I'm really going to have to pick and choose what I want to use though, because I can see this getting totally out of hand for me really quickly...working on my resolution to not go overboard with every learning experience!

Jordan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 15 2007 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote Jordan

Kristine, I love your ideas for CDs and the Saints from those continents!

Also, how about searching eBay for random small objects from the different continents?

And since Kristine's already brought up music, how about adding a native musical instrument that would fit. Michael Olaf sells these types of instruments, I believe.

I am really excited about putting together something similar myself. Thanks for such great ideas.

Cheerios & Fingerpaints
Back to Top View Jordan's Profile Search for other posts by Jordan

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2007 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

The Montessori by Hand blog has an entire world music curriculum for free download. She has free clips of music from every continent!Just go to her Boxnet files on her sidebar. It's all there.
There is also a site with animal noises, I will track it down if I get a chance, but if not (highly likely) then just google it. There was also a thread somewhere on the great outdoors forum with links to animal noises also.
I love the building idea!!! I have some more complicated ones for ds (Matchitecture brand-Eiffel tower, Chinese bridge, etc) but I'd love to get stuff together for simpler ones for dd. Great idea!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version