Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Meatless Meals, Recipes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 23 2006 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Rachel May wrote:
I cook dry pintos, but skip the overnight soak. They still cook in 2 hours without soaking.

Wow....I can tell you live at sea level
We all love home-cooked pintos, but they do take overnight soaking or the quick soak method plus almost a full day of cooking. I mash them also, with a clove of garlic. Rachel.....did you grow up having them fried in lard? I have a friend who doesn't count her refried beans as meatless because she can't conceive of preparing them without grease

We love bean tostadas and tacos. Thanks for mentioning them because that is one of my first choices, along with chimichangas (fried burritos).

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2006 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

momwise wrote:
Rachel May wrote:
I cook dry pintos, but skip the overnight soak. They still cook in 2 hours without soaking.

Wow....I can tell you live at sea level

Who knew there was such a difference? My mom laughed at me when she found out that I soaked beans. She also lives at sea level.   

Quote:
Rachel.....did you grow up having them fried in lard?

Nope, this is just the way mom makes them. One time because I was curious she refried them for me, but I couldn't tell the difference. I can in restaurants, but not enough to want to do the added fat at home. Mmmmmm, I love beans, but we have to limit the amounts consumed...

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2009 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

I'm reviving this old thread because these recipes look so good! Hopefully it will be a blessing to someone else too.

Martha

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Here's the link for Operation Rice Bowl's Resources this year.
(the previous link wasn't working for me)

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2009 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Here is a great one I cobbled together last night. I haven't been to the grocery store in awhile, and so I was trying to make something out of nothing. Funny thing is, now that I look at it, if I were to go out and buy these ingredients I would think this was some kind of a special meal.

I found a bag of little shrimp in the bottom of the freezer than had an expiration date of yesterday, so I had to use it. A friend from dh's work had given him several bunched of asparagus, I had about one pound left.

So here it is:
Feeds 8

Snap bottoms off of asparagus, place in baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil, then salt and pepper and place in 400 degree over for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, boil water for pasta.

Then melt 1 stick of butter in a heavy skillet. Chop one small onion (or half a large one), and mince 4 cloves of garlic. Throw into butter. Cook a few minutes. Add a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce, 2 Tablespoons white wine, squeeze juice from a a half lime (that is all I had, it might be even better with a whole lime), some salt and pepper. Add one and a half to two pounds of little shrimp. Heat through (if raw shrimp, cook until pink).

Cook Angel Hair pasta (I used almost two boxes, so almost 16 oz).

While it is cooking dump the asparagus into the shrimp.

Drain noodles, mix shrimp mixture into the noodles.

Serve with diced avocado and shredded parmesan on top.

Yum!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version