Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Feast of St. John Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 25 2005 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Well, another wet Feast of St. John. I am SO disappointed! Every year we look forward to having a bon fire on the 24th, the birthday of St. John the Baptist. This year, we had beautiful weather on the 24th, but I deferred our celebration to the 25th because we were planning a big clan gathering for tonight and I thought the St. John's Day Bon Fire would be fun to do with the extended (Protestant) family...but it POURED. And it poured last year, too, on the 24th. Wah.

Anybody else out there do anything creative for the Birthday of St. John the Baptist? Maybe I can still pull off a defered celebration for tomorrow night???

Kelly in (wet) Florida

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2005 at 12:13am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

We always have Christmas in June - well, a mini Christmas Feast. St John the Baptist was the precursor of Jesus, it is six months to Christmas, when we celebrate the Christ Child's birth. So, we have some Christmas foods on St John's feast! This year it was Christmas pudding and ice cream and custard.

Leonie in Sydney
Back to Top View Leonie's Profile Search for other posts by Leonie

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2005 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Kelly,

I was disappointed also...but it's because I started planning too late.

We didn't plan a bonfire although we lit candles all over the place on the vigil night 6/23. We prayed the collect at dinner and made it to Mass on the 24th.

I like the little Christmas idea!!

We did look at the calendar so the children could see how we celebrate John's birth exactly 6 mos. before Christmas. They were also interested in the shorter days now until Christmas, and then longer days and more light beginning around Jesus' birth.

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: June 26 2005 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Kelly, Alice and I talked about this last year, but I never got it together...we thought we'd get a case of crickets in "amber"--

Order them (and see them at this site) from Candy Direct.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2005 at 11:12pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I love the Christmas in June idea, the connection of Saint John's Birthday on June 24th being exactly six months from Christmas Eve having never occured to me.

As for crickets in "amber", MacBeth, you are definitely a science chick! What a hoot. Perhaps we could come up with a honey theme, too, to tie in with the locusts and honey thing? That being said, my 10 yo ds, the dinosaur addict, has been talking NON-STOP about insects in amber for the past few days, so I will have to show him that site.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version