Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: St. Joan of Arc Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 12 2007 at 6:03am | IP Logged Quote mariB

Since St. Joan of Arc's feast day is May 30th I thought that this would be a good time to ask a question about her.

Why would God ask St. Joan to help France only to be betrayed by an ungrateful king, her virtue lost, and then martyred? After all, God knows all things past, present, and future---it states so in our Catechism.

My dear friend asked this question and I am also curious. Sometimes the saints are hard for me to read about for this very reason. We seem to have it so easy!

Thanks.

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2007 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote Helen

mariB wrote:
Since St. Joan of Arc's feast day is May 30th I thought that this would be a good time to ask a question about her.

Saints with bewildering yet miraculous lives often give insight to heavenly realities. In other words, often the saint's experience is a symbol of something else.

We see this in the Old Testament that many of the women prefigure the role of the Blessed Virgin Mary. (Eve, Rebecca, Esther) One way to interpret the life of St. Joan of Arc is to see her as an example of the Blessed Virgin. St. Joan, the maid (I don't believe anything impure happened to her), is the conquering heroine; She represents The Virgin who conquers and the Virgin of Sorrows.

Our Lady is also referred to as the Queen arrayed for battle. (ON my list of things to do ... gather quotes and ideas for this concept of Our Lady as Queen arrrayed for battle.)

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2007 at 5:36am | IP Logged Quote mariB

Thank you, Helen. That helps a lot. And when I think that almost all of the Apostles were martyred and how the early church had to suffer and our Blessed Mother as well, then it helps me to understand the lives of the saints a little bit more.

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2007 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote Helen

mariB wrote:
Thank you, Helen. That helps a lot. And when I think that almost all of the Apostles were martyred and how the early church had to suffer and our Blessed Mother as well, then it helps me to understand the lives of the saints a little bit more.

You're welcome Marianne!
I've had a few more thoughts on the similarity between the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Joan of Arc (I'm sure some spiritual writer has done this already)

St. Joan began her mission with heavenly visitors, in particular the archangel St. Michael.

Our Lady received a visit from the archangel St. Gabriel. (St. Louis de Montfort says that St. Michael is always ready to visit and attend to the needs of the Blessed Virgin - I think St. Louis quoted from St. Augustine)

St. Joan was burned yet her heart remained incorrupt - untouched by the burning. I thought this reminded me of Our Lady's Immaculate Heart and her message at Fatima:
My Immaculate Heart will triumph.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2007 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote mariB

Wow! Never thought of comparisons like that. I did not know her heart was incorrupt! I see from your blog that one of your favorite books is St. Joan of Arc by Twain. I plan to have that on our reading list this summer.

Thanks.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version