Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: favorite audio book for six yr old boy Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 08 2007 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I'm looking for ideas. My ds 6 fractured his collarbone and I thought while he's got his shoulder in a sling he could sit outside and listen to some books on CD. What are your sons' favorites?

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: May 08 2007 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Recent hits with my 5yo:

Jim Weiss' Greek Myths, Shakespeare for Children, The Tale of Peter Rabbit, Celtic Treasures.

Any picture book on tape is always a hit. (Tomie dePaola books, Curious George,

He also enjoyed some longer stories (I'm sure that parts went over his head, but he listened gladly.):
by Jim Weiss (Treasure Island, Alice in Wonderland,...)
The Tale of Despereaux
The Chronicles of Narnia stories
A Little Princess
The Cricket in Time Square

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2007 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

I recommend all of "Little House" but specifically "Farmer Boy" for the little guy.

"Charlotte's Web"'s another one I'm thinking of.

I get my best book ideas from the Sonlight catalog. It's great they way they separate them into grades.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

We just finished The Boxcar Children as our car audio book. My 6.5 y.o. and 5 y.o. loved it (they are girls...but Benny is a 5-6 year old boy).

What about Magic Treehouse?

We also did Snow Treasure recently....did it more for my 9 y.o. but the youngers liked it a lot. The adventure of it would probably appeal to a boy.

I'll keep both you and your son in my prayers. I know how hard it is to keep someone still when all they want to do is PLAY!! My dd had a cast much of last summer (she was 6 just like your son).

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2007 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

My boys (7 & 8 this year) LOVED
The Trumpet of the Swam read by the author E.B White.

They listen over and over to the Childhood of Famous Americans (is that what they are called?) Jefferson, Edison and Lincoln.

Johnny Tremain is another favorite as are the Dr. Doolittle books, and anything by jules Verne. (The Verne books could be a little scary.)

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2007 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

We just received Jim Weiss' American Tall Tales and my ds7 absolutely loves that. He has listened over and over to it. He and dd5 are enjoying Charlotte's Web.
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2007 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

If I could have just one audio CD and no other, it would be Gabriel Woolf's rendition of Swallows and Amazons. You will have to email him in England to get a hold of it, but it is well worth it (and he will have it to you quickly). Your son will imagine himself to be "the Boy Roger" in no time. He will then need to fish, swim, camp and sail, but with Summer coming up, that shouldn't be a problem! Please click here: Gabriel Woolf reads Swallows and Amazons.

My second choice for a boy that age would be Redwall by Brian Jacques.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2007 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote mary

i second any jim weiss stories, but especially greek myths and shakespeare.

here's a list i have from a blogger who uses her ipod. maybe something would work for your kiddo.
The Saturdays (and all books in The Melendy Quartet)
Because of Winn Dixie (read by Cherry Jones)
Justin Morgan Had A Horse*
The Princess and the Goblin*
Ginger Pye (Eleanor Estes)
The Moffats (Eleanor Estes)
Story of the World by Susan Weiss Bauer (Jim Weiss OR Barbara Johnson)
Black Stallion
Misty of Chincoteague
Black Beauty*
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulaine*
My Friend Flicka*
Peter Pan*
The Railway Children*
The Young Carthiginian by GA Henty*
The Cat of Bubastes by GA Henty*
The Swiss Family Robinson*
The Story of Music*
The Listener’s Bible*
The School Story by Andrew Clements*
Walking the Bible*
Cricket in Times Square read by Rene Aberjunois*
Paddle to The Sea by Holling C Holliing*
Sarah Plain and Tall *
The Goblin and the Princess by George MacDonald*
Famous Composers*
Room One by Andrew Clements*
The Last Holiday Concert by Andrew Clements*
Complete Little House series (red by Cherry Jones, amazing)
Frindle by Andrew Clements
Lunch Money by Andrew Clements
A Week in the Woods by Andrew Clements
The Boy Who Saved Baseball by John H Ritter
Just So Stories (Rudyard Kipling)
Heidi
The Little Princess
Our Island Story
Anne of Green Gables
Henry Huggins (complete series by Beverly Cleary)
Ralph S Mouse (Beverly Cleary)
The Mouse and the Motorcycle
Stuart Little
The Trumpet of the Swan
Charlotte's Web
Beric the Briton (Jim Weiss)
Chronicles of Narnia (Focus on the Family Radio Theater, amazing!)
The Hiding Place (Focus on the Family Radio Theater)
The Luke Reports (Focus on the Family Radio Theater)
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Alison
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 10 2007 at 2:48am | IP Logged Quote Alison

I have to agree with Alice re the Swallows and Amazons CD and tapes. We are "reading" the second book at the moment. It is the highlight of our day. I loved reading how closely Mr Wolf related to the characters "at a wholly terrifying school, he immediately felt safer in their company than in that of almost any Real Child" and how he has immersed himself in books where "he meets all sorts of people, but with this great advantage, that should he meet any he doesn't like, he simply shuts them between the covers and stuffs them back on the shelf"..what a delightfully funny man. And we could listen to him being Titty and Roger and Susan and John and all the other wonderful characters in these books all day!

Which brings me to a question: where do we go for such fine readings after this. Alice and others who have read them are there any other audio books that come close. I am thinking especially of accents, diction etc and just pure "loveableness"!!

blessings, Alison
Back to Top View Alison's Profile Search for other posts by Alison Visit Alison's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 10 2007 at 5:56am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Wow! There are lots of ideas here. Thanks! I have many booklists, but I was wanting one to be specifically for Joseph's age. Unfortunately, our cassette player isn't working properly, so there are many books (especially picture books) that I couldn't get on our trip to the library yesterday. The CD selection is limited. I'll have to check what's available through our ILL (or get a cassette player).

Yesterday I took home James and the Giant Peach because my ds 8 was interested in it and The Penderwicks because I had seen it on a booklist somewhere. Some of the books you listed we've listened to (or I've read) this year and Joseph's loved them. (Boxcar Children, Secret Garden, Henry Huggins, EB White and Wilder) I'll have to check into ordering some Jim Weiss or Gabriel Woolf.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

ltjewel
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 11 2007 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote ltjewel

Hi Cheryl.

I have six posts on my blog about using your mp3 player; which I think you could use in your circumstance. Even if you don't have an mp3 player, you can get lots of audio titles, and I adding reviews. Some of them are copied below (the list that another person said she got from a blogger who uses her iPod -- that's me javascript:AddSmileyIcon('')).

Jim Weiss Cd's are often available at the library; and you might also be able to check out cds from neighboring counties. Our state is reciprical; so we can apply for a library card anywhere in the state! I love to purchase directly from him; to support new recordings! Our favorite so far has been Beric the Briton. Also, we love audible, but I know it is not for everyone.

If you want to read my blog address is http://homeschoolblogger.com/bowofbronze and you can click on the category iPod School.
Back to Top View ltjewel's Profile Search for other posts by ltjewel

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2007 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

My boys love the classical kids series. We got hooked on these from the library.

We also really like Glory Stories produced by Catholic World Mission.

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2007 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Ones we have loved....
Just So Stories- we just finished this on audio (had read it previously in book form) and my 6yob loved it (so did I!)

Mary Poppins- seems to me like the book is a slim relation to the movie! The version we had was excellent!! (I will try to see if I could find out who read it)

The Railway Children- this is great

Peter Pan- the original unabridged (heard it hundreds of times!!0

The Hobbit- unabridged (just beware of gollum's creepy voice. Once when my kids were young I ran in to grab something and left it on. When I came back my 2yod was sitting horrified in her carseat . Tolkien is now one of her favourite authors though!!)

The Wind in the Willows

The thing that I have enjoyed so much about these audio books that I listed is that they were read by British actors- there is something wonderful when you take a book which is written in the era of 'complex sentences and definite British humor and diction' and have it read to you by an Englishman (or lady!)

Kristie

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version