Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Yogurt Making Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 08 2007 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Mackfam wrote:
[ It is a real challenge to be frugal and eat an organic, whole foods type diet. That would be another thread that I would so love to hear from all of you and your insights and tips on ways you've found to do it.

I think this would be a great thread. We are taking a significant income cut - and the only item I am finding it tough to figure out is how to keep our organic whole foods type diet on a smaller budget. We cannot clip coupons - as we never seem to buy products which have coupons. Trader Joe's helps us to keep the costs down a bit. But I really do not like it that it costs more to be healthy!!! I know I have to get organized to make more things - sourdough bread is next on my list. I wanted to grow more this summer - to try and cut down on organic vegetable costs - but with limited pregnancy energy we are only doing carrots,zucchini and herbs.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 08 2007 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Donna Marie wrote:
Elizabeth,

You can make it in quart jars in an electric roasting oven too...ask Kim Fry...she does it all the time!    

Kim Fry does EVERYTHING in that oven! Problem is, my oven doesn't work right now, so I'm using the roasting oven frequently for --well--roasting.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2007 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

I know a friend of mine that makes yogurt in her cooler...I forget how. Would you like me to ask her? She makes a lot of that yummy goodness too!

God Bless!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 21 2007 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Here are some more ideas from allrecipes.com.

Question...I'm heading into AZ summer heat. I'm wondering if I can harness the natural heat, let's say of my garage, to make the yogurt? Or does it have to be a consistent heat...how precise does the heat have to be?

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2007 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Angie, I think you'd have lots of luck using 'natural' heat. My parents had a crunchy friend who used to make yogurt in his car on cross country trips, I don't remember the method though and I never liked it as it was always warm when he offered it to us. I think chilling is important!

Oh! and I just remembered my dh and I did make it hiking once, placed ziplock baggies in the backpack so they would be against our backs and therefore our body heat. I hiked all day and chilled it all night and had a great breakfast in the a.m. It might take a little playing around but keep us updated on your experiments!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 21 2007 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Donna Marie wrote:
I know a friend of mine that makes yogurt in her cooler...I forget how. Would you like me to ask her? She makes a lot of that yummy goodness too!

God Bless!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Yes, please ask her!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 21 2007 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Thanks for holding my hand through this, Jennifer . I am such a "recipe follower" when it comes to new recipes. I will be a brave woman and just do it .

Love,
Angie

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 30 2007 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

yogurt making with pics

Love,

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote Jenny

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question. Does homemade yougurt contain the live active cultures?

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote LisaR

I bought a Salton individual cup maker on cathswap. it was new, but reminds me exactly of the one my mom used growing up. we lived in Oregon, where yogurt and organic was "in" waaayyyy back in the '70's!!
We use it almost every day, and it is painless and easy to use. the kids had been "weaned" to plain or vanilla a few years ago because we could not afford the individual cups anymore and the 32 oz were usually plain organic or vanilla organic.
yogurt is the bulk of the dairy that we consume. it is SO expensive now to buy in the store. ds's like to doctor up their individual cups, with craisins and chopped nuts, maybe a dash of vanilla, or honey. One ds dumps his cup over granola cereal.
I would go with the Salton. in fact, I am wanting to buy a second one, so we can keep up better. I am a nervous nellie with food safety stuff so I don't trust myself to do the real do it yourself methods. the salton comes with its own thermometrer and everything!!
HTH,

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

4mothermary wrote:
Does homemade yougurt contain the live active cultures?

Yes! it does.

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

I am thinking about this yogurt maker, mainly b/c of price. If I become a successful yogurt maker, I can always upgrade. If I do not, my dh will not fume everytime he thinks about my yogurt making adventure

Do I also need to purchase starter?

dawn2006
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote dawn2006

Anyone ever been to Hillbilly Housewife? It has just acquired a new 'owner' and is under construction but the recipes are still there. Check out these yogurt links:

Homemade yogurt

Custard Style Yogurt

You'll have to adapt them for organic diets but if your main concern is cost then these will be right up your alley!!

ETA: The Custard Style Yogurt recipe uses a pkg. of flavored gelatin mixed in with the yogurt so if they make key lime jello then ya'll's kids are in for a (cheap) treat!

ETA (again): If you have trouble following the recipe links try going to the homepage and following the 'Recipes' tab. If you have trouble w/the homepage link then type in www.hillbillyhousewife.com.

dawn2006
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote dawn2006

I also have one question: how do you keep homemade yogurt from being 'stringy'? TIA.

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

4mothermary wrote:

Do I also need to purchase starter?

I simply use Whole Milk plain yogurt from the grocery store as starter. You need about a 1/2 c. of the starter for every quart you make of yogurt. That's what works for me.

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 28 2007 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote Nina

I made yogurt for a couple of yrs.Now we make Kefir.It has a lot more probiotics than yogurt.I remember drinking it when I was a child in Europe.It is so simple to make-my 12yr. old makes it when I am busy.We mainly drink it as a smoothy.I also use the whey from the Kefir to make bread.
Back to Top View Nina's Profile Search for other posts by Nina

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 28 2007 at 6:35pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

Nina, how do you make kefir? I'm interested in the "more probiotics"

Wendi DeGrandpr
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 29 2007 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote Wendi DeGrandpr

Just seeing this so I thought I would add what we do.
I use a Sultan yogurt maker - makes 1 qt at time. I make it based on "demand" in our house which ebbs and flows. My littles and I are the only consistant eaters.
I use raw goat milk and "yogourmet" starter. I have a "reusable" starter which I ordered from New England Cheese Company but I have not tried it yet.
I find this very easy and economical given the cost of organic yogurt.

"We can do no great things - only small things with great love." Blessed Mother Teresa
Back to Top View Wendi DeGrandpr's Profile Search for other posts by Wendi DeGrandpr

dawn2006
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 29 2007 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote dawn2006

Hmmm...would making Kefir be like making buttermilk? I know for buttermilk you just add some milk to a buttermilk jug that's not quite empty of buttermilk and then let it sit out all day. Voila: buttermilk.

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 29 2007 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote Nina

Kefir is similar to buttermilk.Kefir is made from starter "grains".Once you start making kefir the grains just reproduce,so you never need to buy another starter.Also,any kind of milk can be used to make the kefir.Kefir is extremely nutritious and abundant with probiotics,a lot more than yogurt.Probiotics are the good bacteria that contribute to one's overall health.
Back to Top View Nina's Profile Search for other posts by Nina

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version